Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Adock
Rosebud

Adock has a spectacular aura aboutAdock has a spectacular aura about
Default Crib in bedroom

We are planning to put the crib in our bedroom, about a foot away from alongside the bed.

My question is, for those who've done this, how does it work with a newborn? I'm scared to have a tiny infant in the bed with me (we do have a cali king, but DH and I are both over 6', so we take up most of the space already) AND I'm prone to nightmares.

So, how have others of you dealt with nightmares and an infant? I actually fell out of bed a few weeks ago-mostly due to the body pillows that were in my way, but now I'm even more leery of having a baby in bed with me. But having the baby by himself in the crib just seems so lonely.

We've thought about a co-sleeper, but again, the nightmare thing now makes me think twice about that.
Adock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
mom24

Default Re: Crib in bedroom

Could you put the crib right up against the bed, that way you can put your hand through the bars on your baby. It does mean climbing off the end of the bed. I did that with my first who I was scared to have in the bed with me. The rest ended up in the bed. It's a good idea that you are thinking about this before hand. I found that my sleeping changed once I had a baby and I didn't sleep as deeply as before. But you know yourself and what you are comfortable with. Good luck finding a solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Rabbit (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

You could also put the "head" of the crib beside the bed, so you can reach the baby, but not have so much to crawl around to get out. Small people can sleep in any direction that is convenient.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

what smetimes works well for a co-sleeper is to use a pack n play with bassinet and wdge that in between your bed and wall so that yuou have the convenience of a co-sleeper but w/o that open side

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Adock
Rosebud

Adock has a spectacular aura aboutAdock has a spectacular aura about

those are good ideas. I had thought about putting the short end against the bed, but didn't know if it would work, so it's nice to know it could be an option.

And the good thing is, we can try anything and change it if it's not working.
Adock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have an actual crib in our room but we have the pack 'n' play (in bassinet form still) right up next to our bed. The short part butts up to our bed so I can easily grab him yet he's not in our bed all of the time.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

You have some good suggestions. I really like our sidecar crib. There's a ton of room so you could keep the baby quite far from you in case you're worried about nightmare flailing. But yes you have to get off the other side of the bed or the end of it.

This is our set up -

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

oh and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (04-24-2012), Llee (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute

We did what Stiina has for our third and I loved it. We had to get rid of that crib though because it was falling apart and no one sells drop side cribs anymore. *sigh*
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

they don't???? blasphemy!!!!!!!

gotta find your cousins or aunts or neighbours or SOMEBODY who has one tucked away somewhere!!!

oh and to plug the 'gap", we pushed the horizontal crib mattress close to the big bed's mattress and then put another crib mattress vertically (the yellow thing in the pic) and tied it to the rail.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
JenniferJuniper
Rose Bouquet

With Lilacs In Her Hair

JenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond repute

I understand completely!

When Pip was a newborn we had her cradle in the bedroom, I co-slept for the first little while, but hubbys not exactly a small man, and he's deep sleeper who has even rolled on me a few times! (Unintentionally )
So while I trust myself not to roll on baby, I can't say I'd say the same about DH, and the thought of rolling on Pip in his sleep terrified him.

For our next one we've decided to get a side-car crib. It seems like the safest way to co-sleep.

Peace,
-Niffer
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Eeb356

I totally understand how you feel. I wanted my son close, but my husband is the heavy sleeper. For us we had our son in a bassinet when he was really small. I pulled it up close to my side of the bed. When he woke up I could reach out and comfort him without getting up. Now he's older and the crib is in our bedroom, but he ends up in our bed some too. I just keep him on the other side of me from my husband. Good luck and I hope you find what works best for you.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Dh is a heavy sleeper, but when baby is in bed, he is very instinctual about not rolling over, period.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote