Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone bought an ikea bed for their kids?

Jon's bed is currently a third hand and very used bed. It meets our needs for which I'm grateful but Id like to get him something a bit better. It looks like we could get a bed and mattress for about $200. How are the mattresses? Do they hold up well?

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone bought an ikea bed for their kids?

We have 2 of 3 kids who have their own beds in Ikea beds and two kids' Ikea mattresses. We also have an Ikea bed with an Ikea mattress. The mattresses are great but need awhile to offgas before using (ie they smell plastic or something). My son's Leksvik bed is great. It's solid wood. We have a Hemnes and the particle board on the sides has required some maintenance due to screws ripping out eventually (but I think they might be all solid wood now). My daughter has a bed that is discontinued and I don't know what it's called, but it's fine, too. All the beds are fairly old (6 years) and the Leksvik is the most sturdy.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (07-22-2014), Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

A used her Ikea mattress for three years and it was secondhand. The frame,otoh was a different story. Maybe if you get one where the crossbeams on the bottom do not come out for transport,you will fare better?

Also,have you tried craigslist? People post brand new,still in plastic mattresses pretty often for various reasons. And there are lots of secondhand frames. Your area may be different though.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I got my kids the cheapest latex ikea mattresses when I was pg with DD and they've held up well. The beds aren't heirloom quality but they work fine as kids' beds .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

We just got an Ikea bunk bed from a friend and it's in good shape I'm not sure how long my friend had it before passing it along, but at least as long as I've known her, which is almost 4 years now, and her children were not gentle with it either. Dh says that the mattresses aren't Ikea, but I'd need to ask my friend to be certain.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

My boys have bunk beds from Ikea with their cheapest mattress. It's been fine for them, and the bunk beds are very sturdy. My dd has a metal bed from Ikea (but a mattress from elsewhere) and it had held up really well too. No complaints!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

My girls have IKEA bunks, that are un-bunked now. We've moved them between houses too. They are holding up well - were a bit squeaky as bunks, but fine. The mattresses are the, maybe the second from the bottom in quality? I can sleep on them rather comfortably. They were 2 and 3 when we got the bunks, and they are 8.5 and 9.5 now.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

We had beds from ikea twice. The first we had twin beds with drawers. We're selling them because we just bought ikea bunks. I'm happy with both, we just wanted the space. We had foam cut for them and those have led up well. They're comfortable enough for big ole pregnant me to sleep on

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

We have had four of the loft beds and they have held up great, but I've never had one of their mattresses.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

We're happy with our two IKEA kids beds. One of them has moved four times now and is no worse for the wear. The one IKEA kids mattress we have is perfectly fine. We also have a heavily used IKEA futon and the mattress on that has held up well too.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

We were gifted a used jr. loft bed for the boys. They are using it as a bunk bed (bottom mattress on the floor). It's pretty sturdy and we're looking to buy a second one just like it when the youngest is a little older.

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-03-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:04 AM   #12
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

we are on our second IKEA bed and mattress set for the boys. Not because the previous one wasn't great (it is!!), but because they are at a size now that we really need more than trundling and true bunking due to the size of their room and their height/weight. We cobbled a trundle together with an under the bed drawer, cut a foam mattress and used a kiddy bed that IKEA still sells. It's now downstairs and we will use it during summer when it is too hot to sleep upstairs in our 2nd story rooms. (remember - no AC here!)
We have a bunk bed they sell and have and it has a yummy mattress. It's like sleeping on clouds! The 2nd mattress we got is not IKEA, and I do like it. It was more the choice of what was best for the bottom bunk so that it won't become a rock.

We have a futon downstairs (180cm by 200cm iirc) and it came with a mattress on it that is just a thin pillow really. It serves well for a couch and is OK for a bed. My sister said she preferred it by itself without an air mattress. My mom said she needed the air mattress on top. So, that is what we did. I haven't tried it in a while so I will have to see. I don't think they sell that futon any more. (this one) I seem to recall really liking it, but I've not had the chance to use it in the last year or so due to how junked up our downstairs rec room became.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
silverlining
Deactivated

silverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant futuresilverlining has a brilliant future

DD has an Ikea bed and mattress. We bought them new about five months ago, so I can't speak to how they'll hold up long-term. The frame (Brimnes) seems pretty sturdy. The mattress (I forget what it's called) seems really thin to me, and when I lie on it I can feel the springs, but DD insists it's comfortable, and she sleeps well. At some point, I would like to get a foam pad to put on it, though.
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverlining For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

We have a bed and mattress we got about 6 1/2 years ago and it has held up well. We also got a dresser at the same time and have had a lot more trouble with that. Mainly the screws constantly came loose and eventually had to be glued in because there was nothing left for them to hold onto, like you could just push them in, you didn't have to turn them anymore.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elibellamiah For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really need nine foot ceilings to buy the loft beds? I've thought of sawing a foot off the legs if you do. They look like so much fun for a tween/teen room, and such space savers.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-04-2014)