Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
Abigail
Newly Planted

Abigail is a jewel in the roughAbigail is a jewel in the roughAbigail is a jewel in the roughAbigail is a jewel in the rough
Default baby wearing during hot weather

Hi
I'd like to know your experiences and advice concerning baby wearing during hot weather. My 6-month old sleeps all his naps in a wrap (front carry) and the weather is hot right now. What did you moms do to keep your baby cool enough?
Abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #2
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baby wearing during hot weather

I got a carrier that was thinner. I was not a wrapper, but surely there are ones made with a lighter weave that is less hot. I had a MT with a mesh-like panel and it helped a lot
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard to use a cooling towel like a Frog Togg around your own neck. You can put a muslin cloth between you and the baby to give a smidge of breathing room and sweat absorbing.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I kept baby's feet out. But I didn't use a wrap, used a sling or Ergo. Maybe keep an arm and head out? One foot? Be sure your not out in the heat too long?
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I used carries that didn't require too many layers to wrap (usually a simple ruck on my back), kept them in onesies, and wore a cotton tank top myself. Mine all liked to have all of their limbs out after a certain age, so I was definitely restricted in what I could do when they were asleep. Three out of four absolutely refused to have anything over their heads, ever (even in Ergo-type carriers).

Gauze wraps are cooler. My Ellevil was a little lighter than the others as well. I know there are brands that are supposed to be cooler. I can't recall off the top of my head, though.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!

Last edited by ViolaMum; 06-21-2021 at 10:32 AM.
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same as others here, onesie and cotton shirts cause skin on skin gets hot. Single layer wraps, I like back carries better in the heat. I had a storchenwiege which I LOVED it's sturdy but very thin and breathable. It's also low maintenance so easy to keep cool in it.

Do you have a baby wearing group around you? Ours had a nice lending library and I borrowed a gauze wrap once that was wonderful. It was a size 3 I think so it was bare bones, no extra fabric. I liked it a lot too. You might be able to try different types and see what you like!

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

Last edited by marbles; 06-21-2021 at 12:20 PM.
marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Today is so hot and humid, there is just no way I could put my two month old in her carrier. I'm just holding her in my arms instead.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I used my ellearoo a lot in the hot. It was a shorter wrap ( but I am short enough that it is still a wrap) and thin.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Oh a Mei Tai is also really helpful in the summer because it's the breathability of a wrap but the sides are open to allow for more air flow. I had one of those I used too, I forgot cause my third didn't like it as much as my second.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I had a linen ring sling that was good in the heat, too. (I would swing the baby out away from me to cool off occasionally.) I forgot about that one!

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I used a water sling and wet us down regularly. It’s the one I used to shower w them.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempus vernum View Post
I used a water sling and wet us down regularly. It’s the one I used to shower w them.
Oh wow. I didn't know that was a thing. Innovative idea.
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #13
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Oh a Mei Tai is also really helpful in the summer because it's the breathability of a wrap but the sides are open to allow for more air flow. I had one of those I used too, I forgot cause my third didn't like it as much as my second.
I have a linen mei tai that I loved using during our tropical summers.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #14
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
Oh wow. I didn't know that was a thing. Innovative idea.
I sew so I made it myself ( 21 years ago ) but now there are premade pool/beach ones you can buy even on Amazon

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #15
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempus vernum View Post
I sew so I made it myself ( 21 years ago ) but now there are premade pool/beach ones you can buy even on Amazon
I had one that I bought - 13 years ago? It was a quick dry mesh fabric that had an SPF rating, too. Thanks for the reminder! It was comfy.