Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute
Question my cat bit me; do I need to see a Dr?

I'm feeling kind of sheepish because this bite could have been avoided. I have been caring for a mama cat and her 4 kittens. Ginger showed up in our yard in May. We didn't know that she was pregnant, she gave birth to 4 kittens in June. I took Ginger for a rabies shot about 2 weeks ago. She is probably 8-9 months old now. I got her spayed today. L wanted to see Ginger. She was in a carrier in the garage. I was rushing to put away groceries, get R from the car, and needed to get D from soccer; in addition, I had been up since 6:15 and had been running errands with a baby for too long. Against my better judgment, I let her out of the carrier in the garage. Ginger ran off to the neighbors' yard. I panicked, tried to lure her back with food and tried to grab her. I was running on adrenaline and running late. I grabbed her, she was scratching me and bit me.

I used hydrogen peroxide and neosporin and later chlorhexadine. I'm not sure if I should see a dr tomorrow. I had a tetanus shot last August. The bleeding stopped after a couple of minutes. It's a bit swollen and kind of pink. No fever or chills but the area is a little warm to the touch. It's been 6 hours since she bit me.

Thoughts?

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my cat bit me; do I need to see a Dr?

Cat bites are very prone to infection. My vet said around 80%, but that was from cat to cat not a person who actually cleans the wound. If it is open enough I would try to clean it out often and apply antibiotic ointment. But you might want to see the Dr if it's closed or more swollen tomorrow.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

Last edited by sweetpeasmommy; 10-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.
sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ReedleBeetle (10-09-2015), Soliloquy (10-07-2015), tempus vernum (10-09-2015), Virginia (10-08-2015), Zooey (10-10-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I would watch it and take your temp a couple times a day. If you see ANY red/pink streaking coming from the wound go in immediately. Antibiotics will take care of it if it gets worse but don't wait if you get a fever or any worsening of symptoms.

If you have oregano oil I'd dilute that and put it on the site 2-3x per day. I'd take vit C and D3 and high doses, too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

So far I don't have a fever. I will check in the morning. It wasn't an open gaping wound to begin with. Unfortunately, when it happened, I didn't get to clean it with peroxide immediately. I applied slight pressure first with a Kleenex and then with a wipe. It was at least half an hour before
I was able to clean it more.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

Honestly a bit of bleeding is a good thing....cleans out the puncture site. Keep a close eye on it for redness, warmth and any other signs of infection.
MariJo7 (10-08-2015), MaySunflowers (10-08-2015), ReedleBeetle (10-09-2015), Zooey (10-10-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I would do very warm soaks in something like Epsom Salts and use Bentonie Clay paste on wounds to help draw out any potential infection.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
camperjen
Rose Trellis

i love life!

camperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond repute

If it looks good/normal then you're fine. My dad was bit on a finger a couple of years ago. First thing in the morning his cat was mad he didn't get up early enough to feed him, lol. By afternoon it looked weird so he went at lunchtime to his own primary care - they gave him an antibiotic shot and two scripts because it DID look red. Toward the end of the day it had started to streak toward his elbow. A call to the after-hours told him to go to the ER. HE went and what was at his elbow two hours later was halfway up his bicep. He ended up in ICU (due to his age - over 70) with IV antibiotics for three days.

I think if you keep an eye on it you'll know when it's gone bad. How is it now? Hopefully you're just fine!
camperjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjen View Post
If it looks good/normal then you're fine. My dad was bit on a finger a couple of years ago. First thing in the morning his cat was mad he didn't get up early enough to feed him, lol. By afternoon it looked weird so he went at lunchtime to his own primary care - they gave him an antibiotic shot and two scripts because it DID look red. Toward the end of the day it had started to streak toward his elbow. A call to the after-hours told him to go to the ER. HE went and what was at his elbow two hours later was halfway up his bicep. He ended up in ICU (due to his age - over 70) with IV antibiotics for three days.

I think if you keep an eye on it you'll know when it's gone bad. How is it now? Hopefully you're just fine!
Spoiled cat! My gang of cats just meow, try to get in the house, and jump on my ankles, lol.

When you say that it looked weird, do you mean blisters, yellowish, etc? The scratches have pretty much disappeared. Where she bit me is swollen more than my other wrist which was unscathed. I applied neosporin this morning around 7; 3.5 hours later, it is less warm but pink compared to the other wrist. But, it's not streaking upward.

It just hurts a lot, but that may be due to where she bit me. Pics to follow...it's been 16 hours since she bit me.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Last edited by Beauty4Ashes; 10-08-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: more details
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I would def do the very warm soaks to draw out anything that may be inside and to help with the soreness.My mom had full blown cat scratch fever years ago and in addition to abx they had her do the moist heat and soaks

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:52 AM   #10
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Groan. So I need to be on the lookout for up to 10 days. I don't have time to get sick!!!

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

You could also just go get abx and then not get sick. They will automatically give you abx for an animal bite. I was bitten by a dog a year ago and got abx prophylactically and never had a problem.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (10-08-2015), Virginia (10-08-2015), Zooey (10-10-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Do you think that I would have to actually go see the dr, or could I just tell them that my cat bit me and ask them to call in a script?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

for a comparison.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 10-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty4Ashes View Post
Do you think that I would have to actually go see the dr, or could I just tell them that my cat bit me and ask them to call in a script?
Depends on your doctor. I know mine would call in a script for me. Will they call in scripts for other things?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Zooey (10-10-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

I don't know. I have never had to ask.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Just called now; I would need to be seen.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I would circle the area that is red in pen so you know if the redness is spreading. My mom ended up in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics from a cat bite so you should definitely monitor it closely.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Looking at the picture it seems that it is red much farther down your arm than just at the wrist. I think you should go in and get antibiotics.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
squiddles (10-09-2015)