Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #31
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rag Rug Craftalong (part 2 posted)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34419934@N03/3403863179/

I tried to insert the photo but it just comes up as an X. There's the link to my photo.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Ha Marielle! Love your story about videoing Excited to see your method. Gotta get ripping my sheets!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #32
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see an overhead shot to make sure but it looks like she braided it then sewed it up with fabric strips instead of lacing it (or braided it together like this method http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2...w-rag-rug.html)

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #33
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

The way it's done in the blog you posted looks quite similar! And now I know why, when my mom and I tried to braid little mini-slider-rugs for my dad to 'walk' on with dirty boots, they turned out awfully. Needed to add strips to make the rug bigger. Ours wanted to turn into tubes.

COOL. I'm excited to start. Still haven't started ripping though. Now I can't decide how to make it.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #34
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

Stiina most people use a set of braid aids when making braided rugs. It takes a wide piece of fabric and folds in the edges as you work kind of like a bias tape maker

http://www.earthguild.com/products/rug/rugbraid.htm

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain

Last edited by Marielle; 10-20-2011 at 05:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marielle For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #35
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

I started last night (you know...because I suddenly HAVE TO MAKE A RUG!!!) and it's abuout half done. (Unless I decide to make it bigger. )

I'm crocheting out of strips of old sheet. I like how thick it is. I like the holes too. I'll see if I can get pics up. (but it won't be today)
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustMandy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #36
Marielle
Rose Garden

Lol mandy I completely understand. The method used is definitely mostly just preference. Even though there is a slight difference in density all the methods make a cushy rug.

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain
Stiina (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #37
Marielle
Rose Garden

Uploading right now because for some reason photobucket wants to limit the time on each video. I wonder why?

Oh and a total moment. I've never edited a video before so I messed around with windows live movie maker last night. Wouldn't you know they have a button to mirror the video. So I could have filmed sans the head gear. Oh well.

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain
Stiina (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #38
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get a picture of you in the head gear?
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenLovie For This Useful Post:
JustMandy (10-20-2011), Stiina (10-20-2011), swimming with sharks (10-26-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #39
Marielle
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLovie View Post
Did you get a picture of you in the head gear?

I could have set up a mirror but believe it or not, even this oversharer has her limits. That and leaving evidence like that will only confirm my DH's suspicion that I've lost my marbles. I've got to keep my edge on DH even if it's just pretend. I told him that he'll go senile before I do. (well and he's 7 years older than I am so the odds are in my favor).

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marielle For This Useful Post:
cro (10-31-2011), Stiina (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #40
Marielle
Rose Garden

Finally! High speed internet my butt - it took forever to get these uploaded and that was after I gave up on Photobucket.

1. I'm open for questions. The medium of video is nothing compared to face to face.
2. I'm positive I missed something so please feel free to take me up on #1.
3. On the heels of #2 I forgot to note how to knot off. It's pretty simple just pull the stitch tight without your thumb in the loop then weave back about 3" worth of fabric tail and sew down the end with some matching thread. Throw in the wash, dry halfway in the dryer then hand block and allow to finish drying.
4. Just started my own rug tonight and made my start 13" and went back to measure the start for my second rug made years ago and it was too short at 8ish inches. So ignore the 18-20 inch recommendation in the video for a 3x2 rug. Follow the formula of length minus width.

Without further ado Steven Spielburg, James Cameron and George Lucas eat your hearts out (code: you have NOTHING to worry about).

These are in order

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X6IdWqb-1s

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUbz9lVKIk

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5dMsEgNnQ8

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqsTu66JjAo

I then had second thoughts and redid the core/start in some higher contrast fabric

Rug start part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un5kxT7vAiY

Rug start part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK22p_FgFjk

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain

Last edited by Marielle; 10-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #41
Stiina
Rose Garden

Wow Marielle. You're amazing. What dedication!!

I have to admit I'm not going to watch all the minutes of your videos I just want to see how to do the toothbrush rug and what the needle looks like.

Oooh, yes, Heaven Help the hand that uses my shears for something else

Oh, now I wish I would have ripped my sheet into a bit wider strips. That makes sense about them lasting longer and being cushy.

Oh my goodness, I'm so impatient. I did watch some of it, but I just skipped ahead in part 2 to see where you start with the needle cause I'm so curious how you use it. Then I'll probably stop watching and go on with my crochet.
But I really like how the knots look on the centre of your rug - the little D shape reminds me of my grandma's rug, but I don't think this is how she did it. I'm want to see what a toothbrush rug looks like.

Oh, I was going to say as well, I like your method of joining. I was able to tear up my entire bedsheet in one huge strip but it's good to know there's something you can do that's nice and tidy.

OOOOOOH You've sucked me in. Now I've watched all of part two and I'm starting on part 3. LOL!! You are Master Explainer Extrordinaire.

YAY I found when you switched to show your DD's rug. That's a SOLID rug! Whooooa mama!! It's pretty.

Ok, now I'm convinced, I think I want to make an oval rug. The rug I'm making now is just a I NEED A RUG IN THE BATHROOM rug, and it needs to be rectangular, and will be all one colour. I do love the memories of using rags like "this was the sling, this was an old skirt, etc".... and ovals with all the different colours are so cute.

Ok, Now I can stop watching and get to my crocheting. Mine is coming together pretty nicely - I've done a few rows and it's much easier to do than I thought, and is thicker as well. I'm using a size 10 needle and just doing single crochet.

Sorry for the running commentary...haha!! I took pictures of my big ball and will take pics when I have a few more rows done on my crochet. Be back soon!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #42
Marielle
Rose Garden

Stiina you are a hoot! I love your enthusiasm and running commentary too can't wait to see your pics.

I forgot to mention that the videos are in so many parts because I had to chop it into 7-8 min segments. I've got my brighter rug going but in order to stop myself from obsessively working on it all day I've worked in some reward crafting today after some must dos.

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain

Last edited by Marielle; 10-21-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #43
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rag Rug Craftalong

Wielder of the Palette Knife of Chocolaty Brownieness

rejoicing with those who have escaped abuse, and praying for those still trapped

Unite!

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei
Annainprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Annainprogress For This Useful Post:
Marielle (10-21-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #44
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rag Rug Craftalong

I sorted out clothes and found a few stained items to start with. I watched the first video, ordered the needle and am going to strips. I'm excited!!!!
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #45
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

I finished mine. Its a little lop sided since I just incresed where it felt right I love how squishy it is under my feet. I want to make one out of jeans for the back door.
JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustMandy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-22-2011)