Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute
Default EEEEK! I Need Accountability!

I'm always a messy as in "the house is clean, what's wrong?" kind of messy, sigh . . . and right now it's worse than usual.

Finally a week or so ago, I started getting back in the swing of things (not needing to spend large chunks of my day helping dh with his shower and taking him to appointments and such) but, since I had no plans to have company over anytime soon, I've been focusing on decluttering in the school room and the girls' room, so the parts of the house that people actually SEE are still a disaster. . .

This morning I got a text from my aunt. She's about 3 hours away, visiting my grandmother, and wondered if they could come up for the day one day this week. EEk!! She has NEVER come here! My parents and grandmother live in the same area, so she comes to see them, and once in awhile we go down to my parents house. This time my parents aren't home, I knew she would be visiting my grandmother while my parents were gone, but it never crossed my mind that she'd want to come up here (we saw them last time they were at my grandmother's).

So, they're coming on Tuesday! So far today I've:
- cleared the kitchen butcher block (huge hot spot, right inside the back door)
- cleared the area at the end of the hall where things tend to pile up
- put away laundry in my room and rearranged the clutter so that as long as I position the door JUST RIGHT, it looks relatively tidy (it's across the hall from the only bathroom, and our only a/c is a window unit in our bedroom (main floor) and the girl's bedroom (upstairs), so shutting my bedroom door isn't an option, but nobody should actually need to go IN the room)
- gathered the recycling ready to take in and swept the pantry where it collects
- cleared off the appliance counter in the pantry of everything but the appliances that belong there
- collected plastic grocery bags to take to the farm stand when I go tomorrow

What I still NEED to do:
- take recycling in (hoping dh will do it), absolute worst case, put it in the garage so it's at least out of the way
- take plastic bags to the farm stand
- put thing that I need to take to the church in the car so I don't forget them next week (and so they're out of my way in the meantime)
- clear out the corner by my recliner, it's a DISASTER
- Put the books that are sitting on the steps somewhere (upstairs, back on the shelf I took them off of, SOMETHING)
- deal with the pile of JUNK blocking teh door to the basement (some is recycling, some is stuff that needs to be carried to the basement, not sure what else might be hiding there)
- grocery shop for, and make food for lunch when they're here (they suggested we could go out for lunch, but there's no place close, so I said we'd just eat here)
- make sure all the chores taht are SUPPOSED to get done daily actually get done (putting toys away, sweeping, cleaning up after meals, wiping down the bathroom counter, etc)

What I'd LIKE to get done:
- more decluttering/organizing in my room
- take 2 bags of stuff to goodwill
- straighten up pantry shelves
(there's lots more that I was already PLANNING to do this week, but that's the stuff that would impact areas they're likely to see).

So, hopefully having this list sitting out here where people can see if I do it or not, will help me to actually DO it! And on that note, I need to get back to it!

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Earthmummy07 (07-13-2014), Quiteria (07-13-2014), Rivendell Raven (07-13-2014), sunflowermom (07-13-2014)
The Following User Says they are praying for sweetpeas:
Rivendell Raven (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEEEK! I Need Accountability!

that's a lot of work you've done already!
You've got this!
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivendell Raven
Rose Bouquet

Rivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to behold

You can do it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rivendell Raven For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
- put away laundry in my room and rearranged the clutter so that as long as I position the door JUST RIGHT, it looks relatively tidy (it's across the hall from the only bathroom, and our only a/c is a window unit in our bedroom (main floor) and the girl's bedroom (upstairs), so shutting my bedroom door isn't an option, but nobody should actually need to go IN the room)
- gathered the recycling ready to take in and swept the pantry where it collects
- cleared off the appliance counter in the pantry of everything but the appliances that belong there

What I still NEED to do:
- take recycling in (hoping dh will do it), absolute worst case, put it in the garage so it's at least out of the way
- put thing that I need to take to the church in the car so I don't forget them next week (and so they're out of my way in the meantime)
- clear out the corner by my recliner, it's a DISASTER I got this done except for what I can't reach until dh moves
- Put the books that are sitting on the steps somewhere (upstairs, back on the shelf I took them off of, SOMETHING) I just stacked them back on the shelf I'd taken them off of, but they're out of my way for now
- deal with the pile of JUNK blocking the door to the basement (some is recycling, some is stuff that needs to be carried to the basement, not sure what else might be hiding there) DONE!
- grocery shop for, and make food for lunch when they're here (they suggested we could go out for lunch, but there's no place close, so I said we'd just eat here)
- make sure all the chores taht are SUPPOSED to get done daily actually get done (putting toys away, sweeping, cleaning up after meals, wiping down the bathroom counter, etc)

- straighten up pantry shelves
(there's lots more that I was already PLANNING to do this week, but that's the stuff that would impact areas they're likely to see).

So, hopefully having this list sitting out here where people can see if I do it or not, will help me to actually DO it! And on that note, I need to get back to it!
Think I'm about done for tonight . . . except maybe take stuff out to the car (recycling, bags for the farm stand, stuff for church), and take care of the other junk by the recliner if dh ever moves so that I can. . . the kids' normal chores didn't happen this evening but as long as they do a good job of them tomorrow, I don't care about that. . .

and
Lina, 9
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (07-14-2014), Rivendell Raven (07-13-2014), sunflowermom (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

You're getting lots done! Keep up the good work!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

Quote:

What I still NEED to do:
- clear out the corner by my recliner, it's a DISASTER I got this done except for what I can't reach until dh moves
- Put the books that are sitting on the steps somewhere (upstairs, back on the shelf I took them off of, SOMETHING) I just stacked them back on the shelf I'd taken them off of, but they're out of my way for now
- deal with the pile of JUNK blocking the door to the basement (some is recycling, some is stuff that needs to be carried to the basement, not sure what else might be hiding there) DONE!

DONE!!!!- straighten up pantry shelves
- Declutter the top of the "china cabinet" (it became a catch-all for art supplies that needed to be out of the reach of the boys i watched last winter)
- clean out the fridge

Think I'm about done for tonight . . . except maybe take stuff out to the car (recycling, bags for the farm stand, stuff for church), and take care of the other junk by the recliner if dh ever moves so that I can. . . the kids' normal chores didn't happen this evening but as long as they do a good job of them tomorrow, I don't care about that. . .
So the whole "object in motion will stay in motion" thing definitely has alot of TRUTH to it! I didn't do as thorough a pantry-straightening job as I'd LIKE to do (hoping to do that next month when my mom's here . . . I want to pull everything out of the pantry & the kitchen cupboards and re-organize it all to better reflect how we use things), but I straightened the shelves, and put like items together so it's more functional then it was AND if they want a "tour" of the house and/or I don't bother to close the pantry door (NEVER close it during normal life, but could while they're here) it looks abit better!

Now I need to get kids to bed, then I should figure out a menu/shopping list, so I don't get to the store tomorrow and wonder what I need LOL.

and
Lina, 9
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

Quote:

What I still NEED to do:
DONE - take recycling in (hoping dh will do it), absolute worst case, put it in the garage so it's at least out of the way
DONE- clear out the corner by my recliner, it's a DISASTER
DONE - Put the books that are sitting on the steps somewhere (upstairs, back on the shelf I took them off of, SOMETHING) I just stacked them back on the shelf I'd taken them off of, but they're out of my way for now
DONE - deal with the pile of JUNK blocking the door to the basement (some is recycling, some is stuff that needs to be carried to the basement, not sure what else might be hiding there) DONE!
- make sure all the chores that are SUPPOSED to get done daily actually get done (putting toys away, sweeping, cleaning up after meals, wiping down the bathroom counter, etc)

DONE!!!! - straighten up pantry shelves
DONE - Declutter the top of the "china cabinet" (it became a catch-all for art supplies that needed to be out of the reach of the boys i watched last winter)
- clean out the fridge

This morning has to be mostly our normal daily stuff (school, etc), but I did clear off the top of the china cabinet. DH says he's feeling better and will take recycling in, I have my shopping list, so need to get my shopping done soon. For the girls' morning chores I had them clean the small appliances and wipe down the kitchen cabinets, so that makes the kitchen look better, now it's just the normal maintenance after each meal in the kitchen.

and
Lina, 9

Last edited by sweetpeas; 07-14-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: one more thing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (07-14-2014), Rivendell Raven (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Contented in FL
Rose Blossom

Contented in FL is a jewel in the roughContented in FL is a jewel in the roughContented in FL is a jewel in the roughContented in FL is a jewel in the rough

Good work, Mama!

My DH and I are the same way. Clean, but (usually) messy! Then when someone's coming, we can get it show-ready in a little while. But that's not fun. We have to have someone coming, though, it seems, or *I* don't make a priotity of tidying.

P.S. Don't forget the bathroom wipe-down
Contented in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Contented in FL For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing awesome!
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

Quote:

What I still NEED to do:
DONE - take recycling in (hoping dh will do it), absolute worst case, put it in the garage so it's at least out of the way
DONE - take plastic bags to the farm stand
DONE -- put thing that I need to take to the church in the car so I don't forget them next week (and so they're out of my way in the meantime)
DONE - clear out the corner by my recliner, it's a DISASTER
DONE - Put the books that are sitting on the steps somewhere (upstairs, back on the shelf I took them off of, SOMETHING) I just stacked them back on the shelf I'd taken them off of, but they're out of my way for now
DONE - deal with the pile of JUNK blocking the door to the basement (some is recycling, some is stuff that needs to be carried to the basement, not sure what else might be hiding there) DONE!
DONE - grocery shop
Lexie's doing this as I type -- make food for lunch when they're here (they suggested we could go out for lunch, but there's no place close, so I said we'd just eat here)
- make sure all the chores that are SUPPOSED to get done daily actually get done (putting toys away, sweeping, cleaning up after meals, wiping down the bathroom counter, etc)

- more decluttering/organizing in my room did a little more!
DONE!!!! - straighten up pantry shelves
DONE - Declutter the top of the "china cabinet" (it became a catch-all for art supplies that needed to be out of the reach of the boys i watched last winter)
- clean out the fridge I threw out a few things, to make room for groceries, gonna call that good for today
Grocery shopping done, and groceries put away, did a little more decluttering in my room earlier today too. Also did some straightening on the back porch, need to check the front porch, though since my grandma will be with them, and she's always come in the back door with my parents, I assume they'll come in the back porch . . . should do that before the thunderstorms come. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contented in FL View Post
Good work, Mama!

My DH and I are the same way. Clean, but (usually) messy! Then when someone's coming, we can get it show-ready in a little while. But that's not fun. We have to have someone coming, though, it seems, or *I* don't make a priotity of tidying.

P.S. Don't forget the bathroom wipe-down
Thankfully that's one of Ashlyn's current chores every morning, so she'll do it tomorrow morning (and I'll sneak in and double check her work LOL)

and
Lina, 9

Last edited by sweetpeas; 07-14-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add more things done
Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Rivendell Raven
Rose Bouquet

Rivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to behold

So much done in such a short time. Good job!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rivendell Raven For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #14
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

Whew! Thanks for all the cheerleading! After supper Ashlyn did a great job of cleaning up the kitchen while Lexie swept better than usual. So things are as good as they can get in the time we have. We'll do our normal morning routines tomorrow, do some school, and enjoy our time with family!

and
Lina, 9
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (07-19-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
sweetpeas (07-14-2014)