Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Kind of Shoe Storage Do You Like?

I've tried the hanging storage cubbies, and the angled shelves. I really don't like the shelves. It's hard to get the shoes in and out of them and they don't hold very many pairs. I'm in the middle of KonMari-ing my home and wondered what shoe storage has worked for you all?

I wear size 11 shoes too - so that's another consideration. Sometimes shelves are too narrow, storage boxes too small.
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Kind of Shoe Storage Do You Like?

We have this but with 4 drawers. My dh wears a size 12/13 men's shoe and they fit well in the drawers (though we mainly use it fur the kids shoes and winter stuff.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40216908/

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Here's the one we have
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80156120/
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

We have cubbies for every day shoes. Right now we all have sandels and tennis shoes, early bird and I also have hiking boots. I keep my dress shoes upstairs under my dresser ( I have 3 pairs: white, brown, sandles)
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
We have this but with 4 drawers. My dh wears a size 12/13 men's shoe and they fit well in the drawers (though we mainly use it fur the kids shoes and winter stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Here's the one we have
Oooooh, I love those! I didn't even think of anything like that or cubbies, because I was thinking within my closet (not a walk in closet, just the narrow, hanger deep kind). Knitlove, it sounds like your cubbies are in your entry? Would you ever try cubbies in your bedroom closet if that was where you stored most of your shoes? (I can't do under my dresser because of pet hair and sometimes moisture under the house makes them mold! ) And ValientJoy, would you use the IKEA ones in a closet? I don't currently have any more floorspace in my bedroom, but I might because I'm thinking of getting rid of a double glider I have, and I'd actually love something under a window for my kitty to jump up on or to set more photos or something on.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I wear a size 10/11. I like to keep my own shoes stored in my bedroom closet because I usually pick the shoes when I pick the outfit.

I use those stackable wood shelves in the bottom of my regular closet. It works really well.

Basically, it's four of these:

I have them sitting on the bottom of my closet, two side by side then two stacked on top.

Last edited by 2sunshines; 09-20-2015 at 11:10 AM.
2sunshines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (09-21-2015), FaithHopeLove (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

Those look cool! (Where did you find them?)

Yeah, my entry is straight into my livingroom so I don't have a lot of room for shoe storage there. Plus the dog likes to lay on the rug there and it's just SO MUCH FUN to stick your foot in a shoe full of dog hair! My bedroom is literally steps away, so I just keep my shoes in there. Well, except for the crocs flip flops I wear all of the time in the house (we have hardwood floors and I have foot problems). Those get left wherever I just popped them off.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

These look like they would work great in a closet
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...428/#/50248428

As for a wall, they don't take up very much floor space at all they stick out about 6" deep from the wall almost like a fake dresser front. We keep ours by our front door with a basket for keys on top.
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
Those look cool! (Where did you find them?)
I've seen them at most basic stores -- walmart or Meijers or whatever is local to you.

I have a picture of them in my real closet, but can pm that to you if you want. It's silly but I hate posting pics in a public form.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
These look like they would work great in a closet
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...428/#/50248428

As for a wall, they don't take up very much floor space at all they stick out about 6" deep from the wall almost like a fake dresser front. We keep ours by our front door with a basket for keys on top.
Yeah, I noticed they only had two legs - do you mount them to the wall or something?

The linked one look cool too - I like how they can have a double stack of flats.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
I've seen them at most basic stores -- walmart or Meijers or whatever is local to you.

I have a picture of them in my real closet, but can pm that to you if you want. It's silly but I hate posting pics in a public form.
No worries, I completely understand!!!!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

Yes to the wall, very simple to do.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I have (this is my actual post), but we added an additional cabinet of the same kind to the right for just shoes. It's supposed to have about 10 shelves in it, but we haven't added them yet.

http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/06/i...y-lockers.html

And this is in our living room. That's why I like the closed doors (For the most part. We do have one with open shelves. That's because the doorknob would hit the door of the cabinet if the cabinet had a door).

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

How cool is THAT?!?!

Unfortunately, I don't have even that much wall space or room, but I love that!
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithHopeLove For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #13
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny because I came up with that because we didn't have enough room for anything else. So what does your entryway look like? Can you take pictures?

Do you have room for any of these?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90178174/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20267606/

They come in other colors, and Ikea has other shoe cabinets as well. I think their design is brilliant for a small space! You could put hooks on the wall above for coats.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

What does your closet look like? Does it have a door?
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

The house was built in 1961, mid century modern ranch. I have two closets, side by side, and they had bi-fold doors, but I took them off (because I HATE them, LOL). I'm hanging sheers with tension rods at the top. The closets are the type that there's a rod from left to right and you hang one solid row of clothes and that is the whole depth of the closet. (It's kind of funny how difficult this is to describe, lol!) I mostly hang shirts, jackets, and only have a couple of long things - bathrobes, long coats, business pants hung at half length. I can keep the long things to the side pretty easily, so I'd have room for maybe a two to three tier shelf at the bottom.

I also could do those little cubby things that hang, but I've tried them before and would have to work with myself to use them better.

Oh, and I have some wooden, built in shelves at the top, but the tip top one is hard to access. I have some shoe boxes up there right now and I have to tip them vertically and shimmy them in. I can only see the bottom part of the boxes when they are up there.

Erin, I'll see if I can get some sort of image of the entry, but at this point, we each keep our shoes in our respective bedrooms (except for maybe one pair we kick off at the door). So I'm mostly looking for ideas for in my closet or bedroom.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Do you have room for any of these?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90178174/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20267606/

They come in other colors, and Ikea has other shoe cabinets as well. I think their design is brilliant for a small space! You could put hooks on the wall above for coats.
Those are all so cool!