Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need to create flat workspace in my home

So I have a new place. We have shelves and all the furniture we need EXCEPT we do not have any flat workspaces.

I know that due to being right brained or ADHD or whatever that I HAVE To organize horizontally. That means stacks of paper on a flat surface. Trying to do anything different is working against my nature and has resulted in papers all over the piano, papers all over the piano bench, papers, all over the dining room table, and papers all over the floor.

(I wish there was a way to stop the influx of paper, but alas there is not!) The most important papers and notices have a place on the 2 fridges I have (A door or side per person). But there are things like the 5 things my kids need me to sign, the application I was going to fill out, the Girl Scout nut order, etc. That need a home.

So...in a space where there is very little room for flat surfaces - how do I create them? I have about a 2 foot wide spot near the front door and a 2.5 to 3 foot space along one wall in the dining room.

What could I put in these spaces and what would I put ON these spaces.

ETA - how do you handle the influx of HOMEWORK paper? You know, all that finished schoolwork that the kids bring home daily? It seems I could fill a tall kitchen trash with it daily. Where do you look at it and toss it so that that it does not overwhelm the home?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things

Last edited by Heather Micaela; 10-01-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to create flat workspace in my home

Could you add a desk surface to the front of a bookshelf or something that acts like a murphy bed? So you pull it down, do your work on it, and then fold it up again and hook it? Have the shelves of the bookcase behind it be the storage spot for those papers? And since there's no way that you would open it every time something comes in "to be dealt with" (at least, there's no way *I* would! ) then put an IN basket on the shelf either beside it or above it, so that it's easy-access.

For finished schoolwork they bring home, maybe hang a string along a wall with paper clips on it. They get to pick one thing to display...anything else goes immediately. The next day (or week...) if they want to display something else, the thing they've already got up there goes...
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Heather's new home

I'm a big fan of containment so I would start off with categorizing what is coming in that needs attention, then I would find the most useful containers to hold said materials, then I would figure out where to put them.

It sounds as though most of your stuff is paper-related. In that case, I would consider something like these trays (which can be stacked for vertical people like myself or unstacked for horizontal people like you,) labeled & with rubber feet so they don't slide around. Then I would mount a shelf on the wall to hold the trays horizontally . . . perhaps above or beside the TV, there's room? Above the couch? My link isn't working right now, but Michael's has good prices on shelves in their unfinished wood section, if you're not opposed to painting or lacquering yourself.

When it's time to go through a file, carry it to the table where there's plenty of horizontal space.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (10-01-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Ramee151
Rose Blossom

Ramee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to beholdRamee151 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
Heather's new home

I'm a big fan of containment so I would start off with categorizing what is coming in that needs attention, then I would find the most useful containers to hold said materials, then I would figure out where to put them.

It sounds as though most of your stuff is paper-related. In that case, I would consider something like these trays (which can be stacked for vertical people like myself or unstacked for horizontal people like you,) labeled & with rubber feet so they don't slide around. Then I would mount a shelf on the wall to hold the trays horizontally . . . perhaps above or beside the TV, there's room? Above the couch? My link isn't working right now, but Michael's has good prices on shelves in their unfinished wood section, if you're not opposed to painting or lacquering yourself.

When it's time to go through a file, carry it to the table where there's plenty of horizontal space.
I was going to suggest something like this! Can you mount a board--like a 1x10 on L-brackets to create a shallow horizontal surface to sort through and store stuff like this in bins? If it works better for you, they also make these so they hold the paper in portrait orientation (the paper sorter is deeper than it is wide).
Ramee151 is offline   Reply With Quote