Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
iheartsam

Default I know you guys love the berkey...but

it doesn't eliminate flouride. Our city's water is flouridated and I want it out. So, if you have a berkey AND your water is flouridated, what do you do? Or, why would you still choose it if you had flouridated water? I was actually interested in a whole house water filter but the guy I talked to (local filter store) said whole house filters don't eliminate it either, because the water has to go through so quickly. Any thoughts? Suggestions? TIA!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know you guys love the berkey...but

This is one reason why we still use bottled.

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Get a fluoride filter for it: http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkeypf2.htm

Actually, that's one of the main reasons I want a berkey- because it's one of the only water filters I've found that DOES filter out fluoride.

Last edited by Herbwifemama; 04-04-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herbwifemama For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (04-04-2010)
Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you have to buy a separate set of filters, so your water is getting filtered twice. That's the whole reason we bought a Berkey, because our city back in CA was increasing the fluoride they added to the water. They're sort of expensive, but worth it.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
iheartsam

I guess I got misinformation from the local guy who doesn't sell them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that! I will go directly to the site and check it out. So, if you do love your berkey, why? AND if you got a berkey and DON'T love it, why? One of my concerns is the fact that it takes up counter space. What has been your feeling about the size and space issue?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

I like it because it does an excellent job of filtering water with the black carbon filters, it's gravity fed, doesn't require hookup to power or water pressure. i.e. it works just as well in my kitchen now as it would during a power outage or if we took it camping with us

We don't have a lot of counter space and we have a Royal Berkey (relatively large one). It really doesn't take up that much room. I keep it right next to the sink so it's easy to fill. My only complaint is that my kids are drinking *way* more water now and I am the only one that remembers to fill it up. We are working on adding it to our chore list so my helpers can fill it too. We fill it twice a day (and it's really not a big deal, just annoying when it is empty )

Here is a helpful FAQ.

And FWIW we purchased ours from James Filter and they were awesome.
abh5e8 (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

WE LOVE ours. We bought a stand that has a shelf beneath it so you can store things under there--makes up a little bit for the size of its footprint. ITA with Sweet Life--we drink way more water now because it tastes SO good, but then you've got to remember to fill it! We keep a big plastic pitcher handy next to it to fill it with, since I can't lift it back onto its stand when it's filled at the sink. (Though DH can.)

Thanks for the filter link, Sweet Life!
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

i need a filter. we are currently buying the filtered water from walmart, and while it's only 37 cents a gallon, i'm sure it's cheaper to have your own filter, plus it's easier.

i've been considering dr. mercola's filter. i didn't realize there was a fluoride filter for the berkey.

the berkey would be easy in an apartment too, right? b/c you can move it from one place to the other with you?
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Havilah

Wow. I didn't realize they were so expensive.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforchange View Post
the berkey would be easy in an apartment too, right? b/c you can move it from one place to the other with you?

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havilah View Post
Wow. I didn't realize they were so expensive.
The berkeys?

The initial investment probably seems steep if you are comparing to a filter like the PUR water pitchers.

But here's the deal ... add up the cost of the PUR filters you use over a year and compare it to the cost of a travel berkey (about $200) and you'll see that there is not that much of a difference in cost. For a much better filter. And a great stainless steel system that goes with it.

If you can front the money it's well worth it.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

So it does have filter available that remove fluoride? I thought only reverse osmosis systems could do that? I may have to get one,if this is truly the case.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroras mom View Post
So it does have filter available that remove fluoride? I thought only reverse osmosis systems could do that? I may have to get one,if this is truly the case.

flouride filters
2nd ones down
Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote