Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decluttering thread!

I remember last year we did this and it was fun to track progress and chat about decluttering. I don't know where all of this mess comes from, but it's here and I can't take it anymore!

I'm trying to get rid of 10 items per day, but not super strict- just an easy little goal to keep me moving. I tend to take an all or nothing attitude- like if I can't go through my entire closet right this minute, then I'm just gonna close the door even though I know of tons of things I could be done with.

Yesterday I pulled 3 tops out of my closet that I never wear and put them in the donate bag.- I also went through a bin of my beading materials and threw away junk and sorted the good stuff into an organizer.

Today the girls and I went through their stuffed animals and put 4 in the donate bin and one in the trash.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (08-05-2014), Chaos Coordinator (08-06-2014), graciousmomma (08-06-2014), Pragmatist (08-06-2014), RiverRock (08-12-2015), Singingmom (08-06-2014), sunflowermom (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

Yesterday I did a complete room cleaning with dd. Helped her sort out a lot of junk.

Today dh sorted through all the toy bins in the play room. Took out all the broken and mismatched toys. Separated out several sets of toys we don't really play with anymore, to donate.

I'm painting the big boy's room this week, and when I go to put everything back, I'll be doing some purging too.

Can you tell my mom is coming next week?
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-08-2014), RiverRock (08-12-2015), sunflowermom (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Ack. I need to do this before summer ends!

My goal will be to take two bags of stuff to the thrift store and to throw away whatever needs to be trashed
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Maleldil's daughter (08-09-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

We are setting up a toy room, so trying to start purging/organizing so that only awesome things end up in there!

I have a huge bucket to take to Once Upon A Child, but I'm scared for some reason. I think it's cause I *know* what everything is "worth" and I know I won't get much cash...but it's not about money, it's about simplifying.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

After my last kids' room purge, I vowed to do it monthly to stay on top of it. I set an alarm on my phone, so in the next day or 2, I need to clean/purge their room again.

Other than getting 2 sets of Magformers which need a permanent bin, they haven't accumulated anything else all month. This will be a breeze. I'm excited to stay on top of this monthly.

The other day I purged the homeschool bookshelf & can't stop looking at how purty it is.

I have some clothes I need to clear out. Everytime this thread pops up, it'll be a reminder to do that.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here. I've been working on toys, clothes, books, movies, games, and tchotchkes. Next is office, craft, and school supplies. Also i have a baby hammock that was recalled five years ago. Probably time to let that go lol

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #7
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I came across this article this morning. Sometimes I like looking at a situation from a different perspective. Ladies, what not to do when decluttering (the last point is especially important for me to remember): http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/pro-...ur-home-168836
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (08-06-2014), rjy9343 (08-08-2014), Singingmom (08-06-2014), sunflowermom (08-06-2014), Virginia (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in! DH's actually did a decent job going through some toys when I was out of town with the boys a few weeks ago. I'd like to give clothes another run through, and most importantly, baby stuff to a friend expecting her first, a boy. And my glass jar collection has taken over the kitchen so that needs some work.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I have the toys pared waaaay down. And i cut the boys clothes down to just a weeks worth of clothes.

We spent an hour on sunday going through boxes in the office. We made it through three boxes before the baby woke up. That room has been the biggest challenge, by far.

I'm selling my handwriting without tears stuff. I also need to sell my learning palette and learning wrap ups. Not sure what else i have but we are transitioning to waldorf so I'd like to get some money for all the other little things we have.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Ugh. I need to do this with a closet downstairs and both the kids rooms. The kids rooms are so bad that I am finding myself paralyzed and no wantig to do it at all. Trouble there is I know there closets are not working for them and I don't know how to solve that right now. Just. Ugh. I mend to get this done before we all start school again but ... But .... But...
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in. Not sure if I have time this month, but maybe I can do a little here and there.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in! We just moved a bunch of things to our storage shed and I am enjoying how much more room we have! My goal is to bring back a couple of boxes at a time and sort the items into keep/store/sell/donate/trash piles, and then like the article shared above says- actually do it!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in. We started decluttering our kitchen and plan on spending at least a week in each room. Probably more time than we need, but we are both tired and want to give ourselves plenty of room. If we get a room done before a week is out, we figure we are on top of things.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
sunflowermom (08-10-2014)