Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #46
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think our home gives people the wrong idea about us.

Is the curten touching the floor thing you worry about for the inspection, or your little one pulling on them. I don't like curtens touching the floor, but it seams to be very much I style, so I wouldn't worry too much about shorting them if it is just for looks.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:39 AM   #47
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Moving furniture and playing around with the space you have makes a big difference!
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #48
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation

HUGE difference already! Looks great! I think when you get the time, new paint will really pull it all together, but it looks so much more inviting already.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveIsGentle For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #49
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Blah. Now I feel silly for describing us as minimalist. Who knows what we are then. I think in our mindset and attitude toward stuff and consumerism were definitely minimalist, like we go to our local minimalist meetups and that's where we really feel like we're with "our people."

But I can agree that looking at those photos we don't look minimalist at all.

I was feeling anxious for kind of the wrong reasons I guess.

Thank you ladies.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
Is the curten touching the floor thing you worry about for the inspection, or your little one pulling on them. I don't like curtens touching the floor, but it seams to be very much I style, so I wouldn't worry too much about shorting them if it is just for looks.
DD hanging from the curtains is occasionally a problem. but I'm mostly worried about starting a fire in the winter.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #50
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

I love the progress!

We have the chair that matches that sofa.

I bought a pack of bankers boxes and painted them to keep a color scheme in the main room and hide away toys/papers. It really helped with the visual clutter. We have a small shelf with books and a net for stuffed animals in the bedroom but I really try to keep distractions out of the sleeping area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), mommylove (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #51
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's a big improvement. It looks very welcoming. Im trying to find a pic of what I meant about the curtains. I do like that black shelf under the window.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #52
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I also think it looks great! I love the storage trunk for both storage/coffee table. For the curtains, can you get curtain hooks? (Can you put things in the wall?) We have curtain hooks for our living room curtains, and you could put them pretty far over to really keep the curtains away from the heating vent. I'm not sure exactly where the vent is, but it seems like that could take care of that problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #53
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Command hooks are amazing for hanging things on the wall without holes.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (07-25-2016), esperanza (07-25-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), Virginia (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #54
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Love the changes.

You probably have far less stuff than I do, even though it might not look so from a room photo. I have things organized and tucked away (and no little ones to pull it all out), but there is lots of stuff in lots of tidy storage. So in truth, you might be more of a minimalist than someone who's just really organized. Does that make sense?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-25-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #55
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
Blah. Now I feel silly for describing us as minimalist. Who knows what we are then. I think in our mindset and attitude toward stuff and consumerism were definitely minimalist, like we go to our local minimalist meetups and that's where we really feel like we're with "our people."
Don't feel silly. You can absolutely be of a minimalist mind set even when you home is not completely minimalistic. It's a process and all minimalists fall at different points and not all minimalists are currently at their end goal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-25-2016), MercyInDisguise (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016), WanderingJuniper (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #56
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I also think it is hard to look minimalist in an apartment. If you have 1/2 the stuff most people have but 1/4 the space to keep it in, it's not going to look minimalist, especially if you don't have a basement or garage to keep it in. We have 6 people living in 1900 sf (including the basement). It's not a tiny house, and we're not a huge family. If you walked into my house it doesn't look empty at all. But we have a lot less stuff than most people do- just fewer square feet than average. I think for me doing minimalism "right" (right for me- you can define it how you want) is not to make people walk in and think "wow, this place looks bare" but to have it look "just right" and not crowded. Really mostly it's for me and my family and not for others. But where other houses with equal number of people might look crowded and mine doesn't, that can be minimalism, too. Too minimalistic has a sterile look. Just right looks just right. Even if you have much fewer things than other people, it can still look just right and be minimalistic.

Is that making any sense?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-25-2016), knitlove (07-25-2016), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (07-25-2016), WanderingJuniper (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #57
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ladies, you all are so gracious.

I need to get in bed but thought I'd give a quick update. The organizer and I had to reschedule for tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow night I can update pictures.

We supposedly have 900sqft. I haven't measured to confirm but I'd love to out of curiosity. I think having the kitchen living room combo makes it feel much bigger to me. I like to have lots of open space. I grew up in a family of 6 in a 750 sqft home so I really don't mind small spaces with lots of love. Not that 900 sqft is small for only three people.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #58
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to see your updated pics. It's always harder doing something like this with the deadline of a visit but it's still brilliant changing things about. Having an organiser is excellent, we also paid a prof organiser last year after we had started the declutter process ourselves. She was very complimentary about our efforts to date but gave us some brilliant ideas. I'd love to do that as a job. Still got it in mind for the future. Helped my parents with a few bits of advice for my nephews room on the weekend. 2 simple suggestions and they were amazed at what they achieved. You will find the same! Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #59
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

As far as your husband and hanging his instruments... Have you shown him pictures? I love this look and want to learn guitar so I can hang one on the wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (07-26-2016), ECingMama (07-26-2016), esperanza (07-26-2016), knitlove (07-26-2016), sunflowermom (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:46 AM   #60
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

How are you getting on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk