Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
happyhousewife
Rose Garden

Constantly striving to be a gentle mother.

happyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to allhappyhousewife is a name known to all
Default New to EO Where's the best place to start?

I have been hearing about essential oils for several years now. I have even been to a home "class". I am seriously thinking about purchasing a starter kit. I am just wondering where to start. Is there companies better than others?
Mama to
DS1- 13, DS2- 9, DS3- 6

happyhousewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation
Default Re: New to EO Where's the best place to start?

I personally will not support the MLM companies that make recommendations I think are dangerous. (DoTerra, Young Living) I personally prefer organic oils anyways so I buy from Mountain Rose Herbs. Love them!!

I think the first thing I would do is start looking into safety of use, and then decide what company you'd like to support based on what they are recommending clients use and how.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (02-06-2015), happyhousewife (02-06-2015), Kiara.I (02-05-2015), Llee (02-06-2015), MamaSam (02-06-2015), MegMarch (02-05-2015), ShangriLewis (02-07-2015), The Tickle Momster (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

The FB group Using Essential Oils safely has tons of good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
happyhousewife (02-06-2015), passthemanna (02-05-2015), The Tickle Momster (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

I highly recommend Vintage Remedies ecourse on Essential Oils, and/or reading their blogs. She is evidence based and detailed on safety. Essential oils can be very helpful, but dosing and proper use is important, especially with children, since they are very potent.

I, too, order from Mountain Rose Herbs.
Codi (02-05-2015), happyhousewife (02-06-2015), The Tickle Momster (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Steph
Rosebud

Steph is on a distinguished road
Default New to EO Where's the best place to start?

Thoughts on YL oils? And NAN? How does one decide which to purchase? I have some Aura Cacia certified organic but they are not for internal use??

Graceformysheep.wordpress.com

Wife to Jake (ENTP)
Momma to Spunky Lamb (10/29/12)
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

very few oils are for internal use.

I will not buy YL oils because of their irresponsible marketing practices.

NAN has a good reputation.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
happyhousewife (02-06-2015), Llee (02-06-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Codi
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster View Post
very few oils are for internal use.

I will not buy YL oils because of their irresponsible marketing practices.

NAN has a good reputation.
DT makes a lot of recommendations for internal use as well which is why I steer clear of both.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (02-06-2015), happyhousewife (02-06-2015), Llee (02-06-2015), squiddles (02-07-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-05-2015), The Tickle Momster (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I've learned a lot from the using eo safely group. I bought some NAN & am happy with them- though I'm new to eo as well.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
happyhousewife (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

I have used many essential oils over the last 20 years or so. There are a few I like, most I dont. I love Young Living. I do sell the oils. I do NOT condone the internal usage of them and am currently starting some in depth research on using them with children, babies, nursing, and pregnancy. In all honesty, I have seen a huge difference in the quality of using them vs. any other oil. The reason I prefer therapeutic oils is because I have been slowly making the transition for our family to only use most things that we could take internally since it is all absorbed by the body anyway. Again, I don't support taking any oil internally without the direct supervision of a certified aromatherapist or naturopathic dr.

That being said, I have used Aura Cacia for the last few years and do like them the best for purchasing oils from the store. I do not like doTerra (they were the first therapeutic oil I tried and was thoroughly unimpressed after buying 2 bottles and trying one other sample.)

I suggest deciding what you will intend on using the oils for and going from there. If you will use them for aromatherapy or in soaps etc then possibly trying a couple from the store would be a good start. If using them for healing, do a bit of searching for as to why therapeutic oils are best.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Here's an article written by Dave Ramsey that I saw pop up tonight

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/3-que...essential-oils
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #11
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to point out that 'therapeutic' is a marketing term. There is no industry standard that makes an oil therapeutic.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
Codi (02-05-2015), ECingMama (02-05-2015), Elspeth (02-06-2015), happyhousewife (02-06-2015), ShangriLewis (02-07-2015), squiddles (02-07-2015), sweetpeasmommy (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #12
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

That's true. That's also why I encourage each person to do their own research on the oils they use. What works for one person may not work for another
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
happyhousewife (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #13
Codi
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyGal View Post
That's true. That's also why I encourage each person to do their own research on the oils they use. What works for one person may not work for another
What would make therapeutic better than non, in your opinion? You said you prefer therapeutic oils for your family. Can you explain the difference if you understand it's only a marketing term?

(Re-reading that, it sounds snooty. Its not, I promise. I'm genuinely curious. )

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
ShangriLewis (02-07-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

While therapeutic grade isn't regulated, those who claim that status are generally quite potent. Think Rx med vs over the counter strength. Increased potency may be desirable to some but increases likelihood of sensitization and reaction. I used aura Cacia and the like around c for years. Using high potency oils around him produced allergic reaction pretty quickly.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (02-06-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #15
Codi
Rose Garden

So when something is labeled therapeutic grade, they are generally meaning higher potency?

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8