Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
WifeMommy21
Seedling Rose

1 John 4:8 - He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

WifeMommy21 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Spiders!!! Help!

Idk if I'm posting in the wrong place..
But Ok I really need some help (and sisterly reassurance lol). I live near a lake in a very HOT area and its been a little rainy here lately.. So I'm guessing that's why we've been having some unexpected guests-- Spiders! Now some spiders I don't mind, even though I still don't want them in our home, but I've been coming across BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS! At first I was completely freaking out. I would stay up all night with every light turned on with a shoe and windex in my hands lying in bed with my 6 month old son. Then I remembered (being reminded by my lovely Dh) that God doesn't want us to fear anything. So I've realized I need to be a big girl and face my fears and its been better but the problem still remains. What are some infant friendly remedies to get rid of these venomous spiders? Help me please my anxiety is building up again ahhh, I don't want anyone getting bitten!

Last edited by WifeMommy21; 08-16-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Might have posted in wrong place sorry!
WifeMommy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders!!! Help!

I think that some fear for venomous spiders is completely rational.

At least, protect the beds with mosquito nets so that you can sleep in peace.

I would be horrified. I'm afraid for everything with 8 legs. Venomous or not venomous. My fear for spiders is not rational because spiders here are harmless. But one should be afraid for venomous spiders, especially when there are little children around.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
WifeMommy21 (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
WifeMommy21
Seedling Rose

Yea I never in my life have seen a spider move so fast! The first one I saw was running across the ceiling upside down! Talk about freaky.. I practically screamed.
I did some research and it says peppermint oil may work too, I just don't want to use anything too strong for my LO, especially since our home is pretty small.
The Following User Says Thank You to WifeMommy21 For This Useful Post:
mamacat (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I would also have some hydrated bentonite clay on hand to apply right away if God forbid anyone did get abite.Also works well for any kind of insect sting.Draws the venom out so doesnt get in system.Apparently they dont like pepprmint oil either so here is a spray that wont be toxic to your baby you can spray around your bedroom and homehttp://jillshomeremedies.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-repel-spiders-naturally.html

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-16-2016), MariJo7 (08-17-2016), WifeMommy21 (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
WifeMommy21
Seedling Rose

Ok yes I definitely MUST grab some clay and I'll be making that spray here in a minute. Thank you so much for your replies!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We have used the clay for wasp and bee stings and on an unknown spider bite my dd got outside one night.I dont think you are being fearful you are being wise!

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (08-17-2016), WifeMommy21 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, peppermint EO is contraindicated for littles because of the effect on breathing that can happen.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (08-18-2016), WifeMommy21 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

First are you absolutely sure they are brown recluse? Wolf spiders are similar looking and much more common.
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

Llee even if it is diluted and only sprayed where baby isnt going to crawl? I think it would have to be safer than the chems exterminators use and can see not putting it on their bodies as an essential oil

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had huge success with peppermint oil keeping spiders and mice away.
I would spray the outside of the house with a peppermint oil mix, and the put several drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place 1-2 per room in strategic corners where they would not be accessible to my little one or dog, like corners with bookshelves, or behind a couch, or in the linen closet.
I hope that helps!
also, I think the warnings on peppermint oil and little ones are mostly for diffusing, applying directly on the skin or clothing, or putting somewhere they could be ingested. That being said, you know your child best and if he or she has breathing issues, etc. please be careful!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
mamacat (08-17-2016), WifeMommy21 (08-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
mamacat
Rose Garden

Yes I was thnking she could maybe spray baseboards of bedroom and give plenty of time to dry and air out before the baby is next in there

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 08-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Activated charcoal paste also works for insect bites. Dd2 stepped on a bee a few weeks ago, I pulled the stinger out and slapped some paste on it and she was pain free in a couple of minutes!

I wouldn't hesitate to use the EO solution, but I would be sure not to spray when baby is in the room or on surfaces they crawl on or touch a lot.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I would also mix peppermint e o with dish soap and water and spray around the outside of your home. If they are still bad then take a mix of spearamint e o and lemon e o and wipe base boards and doorways including the floor of doorways inside. While u are wiping I would have Dh keep the baby outside and then let the scent disperse an hour or two before going back in

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #14
WifeMommy21
Seedling Rose

Yes I believe they are the brown recluse but I wont say I'm 100% sure. I forgot to include the long hours of google research on that long paranoid night lol. But yes I was wondering if the scent would bother my lo but I'll be sure to keep him out until it's set in.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #15
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

You could move.

J/k I'm not bothered by spiders unless they are as big as my hand. I've killed a black widow with my flip flop before. We live in the country and brown recluse are common. Despite living here 20 years, I've only been bitten once and nobody else in my home ever has. I had a well baby check for ds shortly after and showed it to the ped to ask if I should see a Dr about it, and he showed me his (worse and slightly necrotic) Brown Recluse bite I figured if he was okay to be at work and not worried, I was fine. I'm not trying to scare you, just to say that not all bites a a big deal or even really a deal at all. Some are and ITU the fear if you've looked up the worst cases.

Llee is correct that peppermint essential oil is contraindicated for use in all methods including diffused around children under 6. It poses a respiratory hazard and has caused seizures in some though I'm not clear if those were children already prone to seizures or not. According to Robert Tisserand, peppermint can be diffused with care around 3-6 year olds and applied topically at a concentration of 0.5% (2 drops in 4 teaspoons carrier oil). In the comment section of the above post, he clarified that “with care” means about two drops in the diffuser. Spearmint is considered a safer alternative.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
mamacat (08-19-2016)