Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pink Eye Treatment

DS1 looked like he had a touch of pink eye coming on yesterday morning so I put a couple drops of breastmilk in and decided to just keep an eye on it. Then he fell asleep reading a book and woke up a few hours late very feverish. The red shiner around his eye now covered his forehead above his eye brow and went down mid-cheek. He said his eye didn't itch but his face hurt and he felt like he needed to cry but couldn't. Going by Dr Sear's The Portable Pediatrician I guessed it might be the more dangerous variation on pink-eye which spreads to other parts of the body and can actually cause damage.

DH hustled him off to the doctor and she gave him an oral antibiotic, an antibiotic for his eye, probiotics, an antihistamine, and Tylenol. They are a bit medicine obsessed here. We only used the first three.

Today he was supposed to have a follow-up appointment but in good Asia fashion we went at his appointment time to find a room full to standing room only and no organization. After an hour and no sign of being seen soon we gave up. The medicines worked beautifully and he looks fine so I'm not worried but I do need to know how long to continue the medications. Dr Google says to "ask my doctor" and "continue the antibiotic for the full course". That doesn't help me much.

Does anyone out there know the answer?

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pink Eye Treatment

Goodness, that sounds kind of scary. I know that over here a normal course of antibiotics lasts 7-10 days, but I'm not really sure how that would translate to what is actually prescribed and dosages over there. I wonder if a pharmacist would be able to give you that information and be a bit more accessible to you

Good luck with all of that!
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Finish the course of antibiotics! If there is any worsening he may need IV antibiotics worse case. Sounds like not pink eye but cellulitis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
camperjen (09-17-2014), Sparrow (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Usually the full course her is the whole bottle, etc.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Usually the full course her is the whole bottle, etc.
This is the problem. Ammoxicillian comes pre-packaged (not poured to order) and sizes are not standardized. This particular bottle has 30 mL which is enough for 6 days. If a full-course is 7-10 days then I'm in a pickle. If it's 7 days can I skip the last day? If it's 10 days I'll buy another bottle.

I hate how Drs are so high and mighty here that they can pull crap like this. At the same time I can almost understand since there is a shortage of health care professionals and when there is a lot of sickness going around they get mobbed. Still they could have just been honest and said, "Sorry we're busy today." or made everyone else wait 2 minutes since we were the ones with an actual appointment and it would have been super quick.

arelyn

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking 6 days would be enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

How is his eye doing this week?

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

He's totally better. The supposedly 6 days worth bottle only lasted 4 1/2 days (good S Asian quality control) so we bought another and had him take them too.

Thanks for all the help and prayers ladies!

arelyn