Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all
Default Paleo resources?

I'm thinking of going paleo and possibly taking my whole family with me. What do I need to know to do it while nursing? I'm thinking of doing one of the challenges,buying a book,I don't know.
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paleo resources?

For the whole family aspect: Paleo Parents website. They also have a book, Eat like a Dinosaur, that is pretty awesome. Mostly a cookbook, it also has a kids section that walks kids through eating 'differently'. As far as recipes, the blogshere is officially completely packed with paleo stuff these days. There are so many good ones. My favorite book, that I've actually bought and use the hard copy of regularly, is Well Fed 2 (but I really want WF1). Check your library, our small town branch has had lots and you can get lots of ideas there.

Nursing wise, the standard diet advice applies, don't let yourself get hungry. PLENTY of healthy fats, more carbs (which on paleo is usually a starchy veggie like sweet potato), enough to drink, etc. How old is your nursing? If the baby is still EBF, I've seen it recommended to eat a full extra meal a day on paleo.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I've been paleo for a couple of years now. You should be able to find resources by searching my old posts and "paleo".
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

Baby is almost 17 months so not relying on me,but I'd like to keep my milk and continue to nurse..

Thanks, Katigre! I did a search but most threads were pretty old..I'll read a few!
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Housekat
Rose Garden

Even if you can't see them or hear them at all, a person's a person, no matter how small!

Housekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond reputeHousekat has a reputation beyond repute

For a very quick overview, go to this link and scroll down to the infographic. It has everything you need to know: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...#axzz3EVEpr13F

That same website also has information on Primal/paleo and nursing. Just type it in the search box.

Other than that, what the others have said It's a brilliant way of eating/living - but it takes some getting used to and substituting old habits with new ones

Find me on Facebook

Housekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
ctab
Rose Bouquet

ctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to behold

I like paleo parents blog, but I find a lot of their recipes overly complicated.

You might want top try a 21 day sugar detox. Her stage three is paleo. Her recipes are simple and good.

Nom Nom paleo also has a good cookbook.

Against all grain has good recipes for trying to recreate breads and such, but I try not to eat a lot of those.
baby #4 due June 2015
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctab For This Useful Post:
Katigre (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSam View Post
I'm thinking of going paleo and possibly taking my whole family with me. What do I need to know to do it while nursing?
Make sure you don't wind up being low carb.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Leanne Ely's stuff. All of her recipes are easy, yet better than a restaurant. My DH is very picky, and everything that I have ever made of hers has not only been DH approved, but put on the "Please make this again" list. She has a brand new book out today called Part Time Paleo.
I have not read it, but have done some of the stuff through Saving Dinner and liked it.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
I really like Leanne Ely's stuff. All of her recipes are easy, yet better than a restaurant. My DH is very picky, and everything that I have ever made of hers has not only been DH approved, but put on the "Please make this again" list. She has a brand new book out today called Part Time Paleo.
I have not read it, but have done some of the stuff through Saving Dinner and liked it.
She offering a free starter kit right now to try to get you to buy her book. You can just pick up the freebie though. Here is a link if you want to check it out.

http://parttimepaleobook.com/

We are not completely paleo but I do a lot of paleo recipies b/c we are grain-free and my MIL is dairy-free and gluten free. My favorite is chowstalker:

http://stalkerville.net/site/chow/

I don't recommend cookbooks I find them to be so much stuff my family wouldn't eat if I payed them, and I don't think my kids are that terribly fussy. Just pick the food you want and google it with paleo in front of the food name and make your own recipe book with things you'll use and your family will eat.

If you are not in a hurry you can just slowly ease your family into it without even telling them by making one then two then three paleo meals a week until you are completely paleo in a couple of months. That gives you time to switch over your recipes. Make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day.

Good luck. Have fun.
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marigold For This Useful Post:
Katigre (10-01-2014)