Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #91
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

I'm coming in a little late...

Not sure what we are going to do but I'm learing a lot Right now we are avoiding dairy and DH is staying away from peanuts.
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #92
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Elana also has a recipe for paleo banana bread that's pretty good, though it takes more effort than the breakfast bread.

Paleo Banana Bread
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #93
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Do we have a recipe for the chocolate Lara bars?

Oh my heavens. Whoever posted the recipe for the quick breakfast bread, THANK YOU.

So amazingly light and tender, and oh so yummy! We scarfed down a double batch fast as a wink. the baby ate a ton! Seriously, this is going on a favorites list. It's really more like cake, and I had to remind myself that all the ingredients were healthy.
We had it today too

I posted choc Lara bars on other thread I think. I will go look!

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #94
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmljll View Post
I've had to be careful with fats the past 5 years because of gallbladder issues. I seem to be digesting them better lately though I ate half a small avocado a couple nights ago with a frozen Amy's organic cheese enchilada dinner. And then the PB and chocolate after... Guess my body is doing better with fats than I thought. Thinking back on it, that was a lot of fat Hmmm... I slept really good that night too

It's such a change in thinking after hearing for so long how bad fat is for you. I've been eating more butter, cream, sour cream, etc lately. I cut our carbs back more. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Need to remember to copy my last few posts to my health blog. My processing here might be gearing me up for another big revelation about what foods I do best with...
You could look into ox bile salts if you're concerned about your gall bladder.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
LilacPhoenix (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #95
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Got eat like a dinosaur and dd1 has a meal and snacks planned and a few lunches for the week loving it! She was complaining we never eat roast and I found out she only likes roasted roast so glad the cookbook informed us of that such an easy fix to pop it in the oven instead of the crockpot!

I tried to find the recipe for cocoa Lara bars on gcm- I thought I posted it! Will post tomorrow- I'm on the iPad and can't get it ATM

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-03-2012), Dovenoir (05-04-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #96
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

I kinda wish we had the paper version! The kindle one isn't laid out very well.

We hit a snag today. I took dd shopping too close to dinner, and even though I had stuff ready to assemble and cook (kabobs ) dh didn't want to cook them and was really hungry so I stopped and got hotdogs on the way home. I just got a burger without the bun (it was a good place that has real meat, lol), but everyone else ate a hotdog.

Ds2 had one meltdown after the other all day - could that be a detox thing?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #97
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Jodi, I saw your larabar recipe somewhere but I think it was in a quote so maybe it wouldn't show up in a search?? Of course I didn't write it down cause we're trying to eat no sweetener at all right now. Sorry! Can't remember the thread either.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #98
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

We eat out every Thursday right now cuz of my jobs and the kids and i have 12 to 13 hour days where I go job to job and they go with me!

Don't let this derail you! Just keep moving forward! You can do it! <-- cheering for u!

Meltdowns can be detox for sure but we still have meltdowns here especially Thursdays (before we eat so it's not food)

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Oh and I thought about kindle but I wanted to not stress out about spilling on either my iPad or iPod plus be able to write notes and my kids wanted it so I really bought it for them and they wouldn't want it as a kindle!

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Stina, post 42 this thread I plan omitting the chocolate chunks next time Stiina it's date sweetened if u omit choc chunks

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-03-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #99
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I found this today - Kombucha Floats made with Kefir Icecream. Stop me, I'm drooling just reading the recipe! LOL
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #100
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
I found this today - Kombucha Floats made with Kefir Icecream. Stop me, I'm drooling just reading the recipe! LOL
Wow! Who'da thunk?

Help, you guys! It's 9am and I have no idea what to feed everyone for breakfast... I only have 4 eggs left. we've breezed through 3 dozen since Monday... Oy.

Is there anything I can make to feed us all with 4 eggs? I have some veggies, I have 1/2 lb bacon, I have coconut flour, coconut flakes, some apples... Stuff like that.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #101
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Coming late to your post but can you make pancakes with the flour? I like almond flour pancakes better than coconut, but they work well.

Can you make nut balls? Made those yesterday and they were so good - 4 dates food processed ito paste plus 1 1/2 cup nuts ground up in the food processor, 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil drizzles in. Transfer to bowl and stir in 1/2 cup blueberries (I used drained frozen) and 1/4 cup coconut. Make into balls and roll in shredded coconut. SO GOOD !!!!!!!

They are so flavorful even with out any additional sweetener.

I need to figure out a regular menu rotation for our breakfasts/lunches/snacks around here. I don't want to over-eat any one food and I really notice how when the kids eat whole grain cold cereal for breakfast they get hungrier earlier than if they eat other foods.

I had my monthly midwife appt yesterday and I was sure I'd have gained a lot of weight b/c I've been eating a LOT, not skimping on fats, etc... I was overeating last week. And I only gained 1/2 lb over the past 4 weeks. I don't know that I'm happy about that. I've gained 15 lbs total this pg but 10 of those lbs were in the first trimester b/c I felt so sick and the only thing I could really stomach was white flour bagels - so I ate a LOT of bagels and that led to the rapid weight gain. Once I felt better in the 2nd tri I've only gained 5 lbs total and I'm now 26 weeks so the highest period of weight gain needs to start happening. I think that a 25 lb total weight gain would be healthy for this pregnancy (I gained 35 and 40 lbs with DS and DD but a lot of that was due to eating whatever I wanted) - so somehow I need to put on 1 lb/week for the next three months.

Do you think we could have a list (or anyone have a link) to high fat/make-you-gain-weight recipes that are sugar-free/grain-free? I'm really not enjoying grains when I eat them now and would prefer to avoid them - I feel like it's improved my anxiety a lot from what it was and don't want to go back there. But I want to be healthy and gain all the weight needed for this pregnancy too.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Punkie (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #102
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

oh my WORDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! We just made the chocolate larabar recipe.... it seriously tastes *bad* ...sooooo good.

1 c nuts
1.25 c dates
4 T cocoa
1 t vanilla

I put it all in my wimpy pathetic 2-c food processor and it seriously tastes like a rich chocolate cake or brownie. whooooaaaa delicious. good grief. I'm going to have a lot of fun making variations of this recipe.

droooooooooooool.....
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #103
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I had my monthly midwife appt yesterday and I was sure I'd have gained a lot of weight b/c I've been eating a LOT, not skimping on fats, etc... I was overeating last week. And I only gained 1/2 lb over the past 4 weeks. I don't know that I'm happy about that. I've gained 15 lbs total this pg but 10 of those lbs were in the first trimester b/c I felt so sick and the only thing I could really stomach was white flour bagels - so I ate a LOT of bagels and that led to the rapid weight gain. Once I felt better in the 2nd tri I've only gained 5 lbs total and I'm now 26 weeks so the highest period of weight gain needs to start happening. I think that a 25 lb total weight gain would be healthy for this pregnancy (I gained 35 and 40 lbs with DS and DD but a lot of that was due to eating whatever I wanted) - so somehow I need to put on 1 lb/week for the next three months.

Do you think we could have a list (or anyone have a link) to high fat/make-you-gain-weight recipes that are sugar-free/grain-free? I'm really not enjoying grains when I eat them now and would prefer to avoid them - I feel like it's improved my anxiety a lot from what it was and don't want to go back there. But I want to be healthy and gain all the weight needed for this pregnancy too.
Did you see this article at MDA about pregnancy "super foods"? He often has recommendations for athletes who want to bulk up too... I'd think that would apply too. What about upping some of the nutrient-dense carbs, like sweet potatoes and bananas?

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #104
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Katigre, I don't know if this would be helpful for your situation or not, but earlier this week there was a guest post about primal eating & fertility, pregnancy & bfing on Mark's Daily Apple (you may have seen it).

Are your mw's concerned with your weight gain?

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

jujubnme & I were on the same wavelength.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mamaka For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #105
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
Wow! Who'da thunk?

Help, you guys! It's 9am and I have no idea what to feed everyone for breakfast... I only have 4 eggs left. we've breezed through 3 dozen since Monday... Oy.

Is there anything I can make to feed us all with 4 eggs? I have some veggies, I have 1/2 lb bacon, I have coconut flour, coconut flakes, some apples... Stuff like that.
My mom used to make either casseroles or stir fry veggies (with and without soy sauce and stir in eggs that had been fried at the end. That way we had whatever meat was in there + the eggs as an added boost.

OR... you could "bread" meat with coconut flour/flakes and make schnitzel.. Use fat instead of oil to fry?
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-04-2012)