Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #106
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaka View Post
Katigre, I don't know if this would be helpful for your situation or not, but earlier this week there was a guest post about primal eating & fertility, pregnancy & bfing on Mark's Daily Apple (you may have seen it).

Are your mw's concerned with your weight gain?

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

jujubnme & I were on the same wavelength.
My midwife was surprised by my lack of gain but not concerned since I've got 15 lbs total for the pregnancy. If I don't gain any weight by the time I'm 30 weeks I think she would be concerned (honestly, I would be too ). I was truly shocked b/c I feel bigger, I can see extra fat on my body from pregnancy (my breasts, pregnancy love handles, thighs/bottom larger) and have been eating a lot of fat/protein/produce and still having a serving of grains per day (though I really don't like it too much anymore and would rather be able to cut it out altogether).

My progression over the past month or so went like this:
1. Dealing with sensitive teeth while pregnant, makes me not want much junk food which I previously liked as a treat/while working.
2. Watched the 60 Minutes special on sugar as a toxin, totally GOT IT and learned things I hadn't understood before . Went through our (already health food house) and read every label, changed our patterns to have less added sugar to aim for the daily quota of 25g/day for a woman.
3. In the process of seeking out new recipes (was totally bored with my two standby cookbooks of the past 5 years - 6 O'Clock Scrambles) I found that paleo/primal cooking is by nature dairy-free and sugar-free. Woo hoo! DD is dairy-free, I'll have to be dairy-free post-baby since my kids have all been intolerant of it in bm (I eat it now while pg to get extra calories)
4. Checked out some paleo/primal cookbooks from the library, loved the recipes I made, and started cooking/eating that way more b/c of the no-sugar thing. Changed our snack foods from carbs to proteins/fats. Started making various paleo breakfast/snack foods that had no added sugar (or substitutes like honey) but were absolutely delicious.

And that landed me where I am now - eating more vegetables and fats than before (we love coconut oil over here), feeling great and good energy, belly and baby growing well...but no weight gain for a month even though I'm almost 3rd tri. I wasn't coming at this from a 'radical diet overhaul' (b/c it's really not - we were already pretty health food just with more grains), just a 'tweak what we already eat for healthier living' and liking the results.

I started reading Mark's Daily Apple a monthish ago and like a lot of what he has to say - I did read the pregnancy posts but didn't find them super helpful since they weren't recipes to make just 'eat these foods' which I already do (I don't restrict fruit/carbs at all and never have, eat lots of eggs, do fish oil and eat salmon once or twice a week, do the highest fat dairy I can find - plain greek yogurt (which I now enjoy plain - no flavoring needed) and coconut milk kefir in smoothies).

Last edited by Katigre; 05-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-04-2012), Elora (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #107
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I started reading Mark's Daily Apple a monthish ago and like a lot of what he has to say - I did read the pregnancy posts but didn't find them super helpful since they weren't recipes to make just 'eat these foods' which I already do (I don't restrict fruit/carbs at all and never have, eat lots of eggs, do fish oil and eat salmon once or twice a week, do the highest fat dairy I can find - plain greek yogurt (which I now enjoy plain - no flavoring needed) and coconut milk kefir in smoothies).
Sounds like you're just looking for more variety in what you're already doing then? Might not be what you were looking for, but the article made me think of liverwurst as a snack or lunch option, if you like it and have a good source. Or hard boiled eggs... Devilled eggs made with avocado... I would think a lot of paleo/primal dinner options would fit your needs. Is there a particular kind of recipe you're looking for? Maybe a spin-off would get more eyes and more ideas.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #108
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm discouraged today. I'm thinking eating this way is easily going to double our grocery bill, and I just don't have that kind of wiggle room... Normally I'll grocery shop, spend close to $200, but can stretch most of that over 2ish weeks, with a few additions (like getting more milk or eggs or produce the second week). Already this last shopping trip was closer to $230 - 240, and we're almost out of stuff, I don't think I can stretch it past a couple more days (I went shopping Sunday night).

I don't know how we can do this.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Plus I kind of feel like crappola today, even though I've stayed with the plan - haven't had grains or sugar, even though the fam had grains last night.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for crunchymum:
Elora (05-09-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #109
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubnme View Post
Sounds like you're just looking for more variety in what you're already doing then? Might not be what you were looking for, but the article made me think of liverwurst as a snack or lunch option, if you like it and have a good source. Or hard boiled eggs... Devilled eggs made with avocado... I would think a lot of paleo/primal dinner options would fit your needs. Is there a particular kind of recipe you're looking for? Maybe a spin-off would get more eyes and more ideas.
I think i'm trying to figure out if I have to intentionally *try to gain weight* while eating primal/paleo which involves stuffing myself until my stomach feels really full, vs. just cooking foods that are whole-foods and healthy with good fat and trusting my body to gain what it needs for this pregnancy and nursing post-partum. i feel like I have a good variety of foods and am eating when hungry - 3 meals a day and probably 2-3 snacks. One meal is lighter than the others (i.e., more for bfast and dinner and less for lunch). I don't intentionally restrict any foods except refined sugars. (Note: Here is my weight gain so far this pg.
Starting 120lbs (5'4)
14 weeks - 11 lbs (due to eating a LOT of panera bagels and white flour store bagels each day to cope with morning sickness/nausea - this is not typical weight gain for me)
18 weeks - 2 lbs
22 weeks - 2 lbs
26 weeks - .5 lbs
So at this point I'm 135-136 lbs or so

I've been gaining less than typical (1-2lbs/week) the whole time but it really dropped once I cut out refined sugar/processed foods. Note: I did not reduce grains until a week or so ago, so that is really not the main issue here ). I have been eating regularly and have no eating disorders/food aversions - I like food! But I don't feel comfortable with this pattern of decreasing weight gain. I go back in 3.5 weeks and hope to have gained 3 lbs in that time.

I do'nt have a good source for liver and I do lots of eggs and avocado already . It feels like I would have to eat more quantities of food in order to gain weight which is physically uncomfortable (ex. I made myself sweet potato hashbrowns for lunch today which was two shredded sweet potatoes, 4 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of coconut oil and cumin. I had to make myself finish it all b/c it was quite filling and would have been quite satisfied with just 1/3 of the portion).

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

And I don't want to make this thread all about me and my weight issues . I'm just trying to figure out the healthiest way to eat without sugar in my life and am finding it harder than I expected from a results-standpoint (wondering if the 25-35lb recommended weight gain for pregnancy is actually a realistic/healthy standard or should I not worry about it, not wanting eating changes to affect the baby negatively, only positively - like I believe removing refined sugars 90% of the time will do, etc...)

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum View Post
I'm discouraged today. I'm thinking eating this way is easily going to double our grocery bill, and I just don't have that kind of wiggle room... Normally I'll grocery shop, spend close to $200, but can stretch most of that over 2ish weeks, with a few additions (like getting more milk or eggs or produce the second week). Already this last shopping trip was closer to $230 - 240, and we're almost out of stuff, I don't think I can stretch it past a couple more days (I went shopping Sunday night).
Wow...I am in awe that your grocery budget was so low to start with. We were running $650 and are now more like $800/$850 (if you count all food shopping like amazon.com stuff as well as regular grocery store).

Anyway...I would say this - don't fall into the 'all or nothing' trap . Do what you can do . Plan to cook 2-3 paleo meals per week with lower cost ingredients (ex. chicken thighs), reduce starches as a meal accompaniment, and lower sugar intake in general - especially in breakfast and snack foods. That should be doable without a huge grocery budget increase IMO.

Quote:
Plus I kind of feel like crappola today, even though I've stayed with the plan - haven't had grains or sugar, even though the fam had grains last night.
Not sure about this - have you had enough to eat today, enough carbohydrates-non-grain and enough fat/protein? Could it be detox stuff (I don't know anything about that type of thing).

Last edited by Katigre; 05-04-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #110
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Anyway...I would say this - don't fall into the 'all or nothing' trap . Do what you can do .
I wrote a post about that, too. Health and Perfectionism. I almost did nothing because we can't afford to do everything.

I realized today that I no longer live to eat. It's only been a couple of months and I eat to live. I eat because my body tells me it's time to eat. I eat when my stomach feels empty. It's crazy. When I'm not hungry, I don't desire to eat food. I cannot remember a time in my life when I only wanted to eat when I was hungry.

Emotional eating? Boredom eating? It's not even a thing. I have plenty of feelings and stuff going on that I could (and would not so long ago) attempt to eat away.

I really think sugar and improperly prepared grains had me in a choke hold most of my life.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-04-2012), Katigre (05-04-2012), passthemanna (05-04-2012), Soliloquy (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #111
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I don't want to make this thread all about me and my weight issues . I'm just trying to figure out the healthiest way to eat without sugar in my life and am finding it harder than I expected from a results-standpoint (wondering if the 25-35lb recommended weight gain for pregnancy is actually a realistic/healthy standard or should I not worry about it, not wanting eating changes to affect the baby negatively, only positively - like I believe removing refined sugars 90% of the time will do, etc...)

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Wow...I am in awe that your grocery budget was so low to start with. We were running $650 and are now more like $800/$850 (if you count all food shopping like amazon.com stuff as well as regular grocery store).

Anyway...I would say this - don't fall into the 'all or nothing' trap . Do what you can do . Plan to cook 2-3 paleo meals per week with lower cost ingredients (ex. chicken thighs), reduce starches as a meal accompaniment, and lower sugar intake in general - especially in breakfast and snack foods. That should be doable without a huge grocery budget increase IMO.

Not sure about this - have you had enough to eat today, enough carbohydrates-non-grain and enough fat/protein? Could it be detox stuff (I don't know anything about that type of thing).

Hey, it's processing! You're not making it all about you and your weight.

Thanks for your comment. I do feel better now that I've eaten dinner (and had a glass or two of wine ). Our budget for the *month* is usually in the $800 range, I guess that wasn't clear - but yeah, we have a lot of people.

And you're right. I went into this just thinking I'd add what I could, but I guess it's hard for me to not be all or nothing. I think that's leftover from the pressure as a child to do things perfect or not at all. plus, I do want to teach healthy habits, and it feels weird to be all "hey kids, we're eating like dinosaurs! Grains and sugar aren't that good for you!" and then serving it. definitely something I need to get over, I think.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #112
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Crunchymom. I definitely think it's harder at first budget-wise too when you're restocking your pantry, haven't had a chance to take advantage of good sales yet, and still don't really have a sense for what your new staples will be. It is ok to work things in more gradually. I like to look at eating primal as a spectrum of "good for me" to "bad for me," and try to mostly eat the always "good for me" food, with moderate amounts of the "sometimes good for me" foods, and as little as possible of the "bad for me" foods. When I feel the need for a "bad for me" food (eating out or budget or just for my sanity) I try to opt for the least bad option. So if you can, you might do your best to choose rice over corn or wheat; potatoes over bread; sourdough bread over regular bread, that kind of thing. I think you'll still see huge benefits.

I also want to mention that a lot of people do experience "carb flu" during the first week or so of eliminating sugar/grains. I think it's a die-off issue.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

And Kaitigre. I think your diet sounds super healthy for you and your baby, and it will be interesting to see how your weight responds as you continue.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-04-2012), crunchymum (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-05-2012), mommychem (05-04-2012), Soliloquy (05-05-2012), tempus vernum (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #113
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Weight gain during a paleo pregnancy/bf'ing period might look completely different than what you're used to. You're really in tune with your body, I might be inclined to continue to listen to your body's cues and maybe add an extra high calorie, higher fat snack or two during the day. Be a good excuse for some ice cream or other favorite.
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamaka For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (05-05-2012), jujubnme (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #114
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

I also say go the gradual route if that it what makes it easier for everyone. That's what got me on the road to gaps. We are far from there yet, but I picked up the gaps guide a few months ago and it said:

"go buy some coconut oil, and keep eating the way you are suppose to be eating. Now research where to find some good bones, buy some and put them in your freezer, and keep eating the way you are eating. Now take the bones you bought out of the freezer and make a broth. try, it. kinda bland huh? keep eating the way you are eating. Now put some veggies in the broth. tastes, better doesn't it? keep eating the way you are suppose to be eating."

when I read that I realized that was something I could do, take babysteps until I can get there. So slowly I add new things while taking away other things while doing more research and learning as I go along.

I attempted to rid us of all grains and then realized we didn't have the $$$$ to fill in the gap (no pun intended) with other foods and the kids were HUNGRY! So for now, they still eat grains. I cheat now and then but for the most part I am at least trying to keep myself in the paleo on my way to gaps mindset. But we have a waaaaaay smaller grocery budget even then you have so we just do what we can. I know what my ideals are, and then I know what my reality is and that is that these diets cost $$$$$$.... so until I can afford to go all out, it's baby steps and more baby steps. Don't feel bad if you can't jump in and go all out right away. Allow yourself to get there when you can
mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to euromom For This Useful Post:
Allison (05-04-2012), AngelaVA (05-05-2012), crunchymum (05-04-2012), HadassahSukkot (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #115
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I can see how cutting grains out would increase your grocery budget a lot. But I'm not understanding how cutting out sugar increases it at all. I would think it decreases it - avoiding processed stuff and baking? Just curious is all.

We're very lucky in that we don't notice any difference if we eat more meat. We have like...1200 pounds of it in our shop. And DH is thrilled that I'm cooking more meat happily.
Today we had a lettuce, tomato, avocado, sunflower seed and bacon salad. Yum-oh! What gave me the idea is that we got bacon from the pig we bought from our neighbours, and bacon equals BLT sandwich for me. I was glad to be thinking creativitely, and this thread has helped.

[we are eating gluten and sugar free. Low grain (to reduce overall carbs). Eating full dairy]
I am surprised how easy it's been to avoid sugar. I don't meant to trivialize it for people who are having problems with cravings and stuff...so I hope I do not offend you.
But I started (almost) 2 weeks ago. I turned down birthday cake (on MY birthday). I was able to say "no" to goodies at our weekly Bible Study. I ate cheese instead of my favourite cakes and cookies at a church evening luncheon. The next Bible Study we had was a potluck and I avoided all gluten-y things, and didn't eat any of the scrumptious-looking desserts. But it wasn't hard for me. I just told myself "I don't eat that anymore". And I was fine with it. I'm thrilled!

I don't feel any different yet - I've had the same headaches and neck pains. Yesterday I had a killer headache but today it's a bit better. I don't correlate any of it to food yet. I'm not that insightful.

How long do you guys think it would take for me to see a difference in my headaches, if gluten and sugar (carbs) are the problem? Should I cut out carbs completely if I don't notice a change soon?
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-04-2012), euromom (05-05-2012), jujubnme (05-04-2012), Soliloquy (05-05-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #116
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I don't know why I always try to make things more complicated. I do like the idea of adding good things in addition to what we normally eat. The issue I'm trying to avoid is, if there's, say, a bunch of produce and nuts and stuff in house, but also pasta, my boys will beg for the pasta every time. I've even caught them eating raw noodles. so I was just thinking I had to get it out the door, kwim? I like the idea of doing rice or something instead of pasta, and potatoes instead of bread, etc.

Stiina, afa taking the sugar out = more money: For example, instead of making cookies or a cake or something (very little cost), "treats" are now fruit, or nuts, or something baked with expensive flours and sweeteners. so overall, it just costs more.

Tonight I feel REALLY bloated. we had kabobs and broccoli slaw. Seriously, if I relax my stomach standing up, I look about 6 months pregnant.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
euromom (05-05-2012), Stiina (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #117
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I get it now. And those costs are all exacerbated with more kids in the house.

What about brown rice noodles instead of wheat pasta? At our bulk place, getting brown rice elbows is only five cents more (per 100g) than the normal pasta.

My DS loves raw pasta too. "gahgehtteeeyyyyy!!!!"
Today I was able to distract him by offering to let him help me make "blender juice" (a smoothie). So yes, now I see where you are saying about the excess cost for snacks.

I need a crash course in carbs. We had nuts for a snack tonight as we were playing Scrabble and DH said "This goes against my no-carb rule!" and I was like... nuts have carbs?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #118
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

While we are processing , would it be wise to buy a food processor. Every time I see dates, I want to buy them for lara bars or another sweet treat, then I think no processor.

crunchymum - I need to slow down a bit too wrt funds. I've been using our income tax reserves (in savings) to pay for the additional costs. It won't last forever. I'm not all or nothing but I don't like to feel like a hypocrite either, kwim?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
crunchymum (05-04-2012), Stiina (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #119
Stiina
Rose Garden

Sherri - the food processor I have is this tiny thing I got for a wedding present. I almost gave it away, actually, because it looked like a made-in-china-piece-of-useless-cowpoop. I couldn't believe it worked to make these larabars...I was fully expecting to have to scrape everything out and chop it by hand.
It might be worth it to spend the thirty bucks on a cheapy. Food processors are big bucks, iirc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
mommychem (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #120
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

yeah, they have carbs, but also good protein and fats. Almonds have about 9 grams of carbs for a half cup, but they also have I think 10 or so grams of protein in that 1/2 cup. Everyone needs *some* carbs! Besides straight up meat, I think there are amounts of carbs in everything.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

The Following User Says Thank You to crunchymum For This Useful Post:
Stiina (05-04-2012)