Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Juicing = lost nutrients?

Is it true that juicing fruits isn't really that healthy because most of the nutrients are in the skin/pulp, which you don't get when you juice?
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Juicing = lost nutrients?

I don't agree with that. I think there's a big push marketing wise to blend your fruit into a smoothie rather than juice it. I'm not advocating one over the other (but if you were selling blenders I'm sure you would have a bias). I do both actually. When I'm looking for fuel, added protein, fibre etc I make a smoothie, when I'm purely wanting a vitamin rich bolt to the system I make juice. They are both great! But not comparable IMO.
LikeQuietDreams (04-13-2014), Ms_Dahl (04-13-2014), ReedleBeetle (04-14-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-13-2014), zak (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
mommychem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I have a juicer and a vitamix (now). If I used the juicer, I would save the pulp to put into a bread like pumpkin bread or carrot bread. Alas, there is so much mess to clean up, I never use it.

I throw the entire fruit minus the seeds into the vitamix and YUM! Then I put some soap in the blender bowl with water and twirl it like a dishwasher and rinse. Much less work.

I think that either would be more nutrition than doing nothing.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
ReedleBeetle (04-14-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Ms_Dahl
Rose Trellis

Ms_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond reputeMs_Dahl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, to what HomeyT shared. They really serve two separate purposes and in a healthy lifestyle, they should happily co-exist.

When I initially saw the thread title, I wasn't sure if you were referring to a centrifugal juicer because with those types of juicers, there is a minor loss of nutrients due to the heat the machine generates to make the juice.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Oh, and I normally shy away from juicing strictly fruits due to the high fructose content. When I do make fruit juices, it would be those that provide the highest concentration of anti-oxidants (i.e. blueberries, pomegranate) and I normally dilute it with water.
Ms_Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_Dahl For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

I love maedchen's idea.

Juicing is definitely less healthy. I know there's vitamins in the skin that, I assume, can't be squeezed out. Also, removing the fiber makes it more sugary, you're body is going to pump out the insulin when you drink juice.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deena For This Useful Post:
Virginia (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

I think juice can be a very healthy thing as can whole fruit smoothies. One thing I learned in juicing is that in order to gain the maximum nutrition, it needs to be juiced and drank in about 15 minutes or so. After that, between air and light, it begins rapidly losing nutrition.

Isaac and I often start our day with a mix of celery, carrot, and apple juice, blended with avocado and plain chicken broth. So. Many. Good. Things in that. A great start to the day.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2014), HomeyT (04-14-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-14-2014), zak (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

HomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond reputeHomeyT has a reputation beyond repute

When we juice it's usually veggies! Carrots, all sorts of greens in large quantities, ginger, beets....then throw in an apple, orange, or lemon! It's good. We don't juice for taste (although the taste is fine) we juice for vitamins. You can eat the nutrition of 4 salads in one drink
Ms_Dahl (04-14-2014), ReedleBeetle (04-14-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014), zak (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather eat four salads.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I would rather eat four salads.
Me too. Right now I'm drinking a kale-carrot-ginger-apple juice, and I'm only managing to swallow it because of the ginger and apple
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I have found if I throw 2 handfuls of spinach in the vitamix last, I do not even taste it. (I like mine cold, so I put a glass of ice cubes in to keep it ice cold.) If the greens get warm, that is all that you taste.

I put 3 or 4 dates in an entire blender of fruit and veggies.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2014), ReedleBeetle (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
HomeyT
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Me too. Right now I'm drinking a kale-carrot-ginger-apple juice, and I'm only managing to swallow it because of the ginger and apple
kale needs lemon to take away it's bitter flavour.

i like my salads too
i think people feel juicers are to take the place of food we eat…i think the marketing around them certainly can sound that way… but imo they are just to give you added nutrients when and if you need them. going with my example... it's like infusing your body with the nutrition of 8 salads, after you've eaten 4 and juiced another 4. and certainly if you'd prefer and are able to eat 8 salads that will certainly give you the same result!

we mainly juice when we need the extra vitamins, or when we are sick or generally wanting to boost the immune system…or have copious amounts of spinach and kale or apples in the garden! i've also tried recipes for certain ailments, like a liver cleanse or i have a recipe to help with cramps.

and you can drink too much nutrition too! my husband would get an orange tint to his skin when he'd drink too much carrot juice. lol! yup as a teenager he loved to juice, even garlic BLAH , he's lucky i ever kissed him! good thing he was so good looking.
deena (04-15-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get the maximum nutritional benefits from your juice, it is a good idea to "chew" it. Digestion starts with saliva and chewing, and chewing sends important signals all the way down.

I'll also add my other big thing about juicing:

Each person must consider their own body and health challenges. Some people "run cold" and others "run hot." Food can have an overall cooling effect or an overall warming effect on the body. It is important to keep your body balanced. Generally speaking, people who "run cold" have more issues with juicing, since juices are a very cold natured food.

If you dump a lot of cold foods into your stomach, it can be compared to pouring a bunch of cold water into a bubbling pot. It takes a long time for the pot to heat back up and get back to simmering. Likewise, too many warming foods can cause it to kind of boil over.

Since juices are overall very cooling in nature, and are often also consumed cold, it is good to add some "warming" elements to your juice. Some veggies, like cucumber, are especially cooling, and make this more important. Ginger is one popular option to add to "warm" your juice and help your body to digest it better.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2014), squiddles (04-14-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #14
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know of you run cold or run hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

There are thorough evaluations that can be done, but in general:

People who have signs of "Heat" are more likely to sweat easily, get constipated, be loud or talkative, get irritable/hyperactive/aggressive if upset, have insomnia, have a strong appetite, get fevers easily, crave cold and dislike heat, have darker urination

People who have "Cold" signs are more likely to have cold hands/feet, clear, frequent urination, crave heat and dislike cold, have loose stools, little sweating, low blood pressure, feel more tired, more prone to depression, have a lower appetite.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
megbar548 (04-14-2014), ReedleBeetle (04-14-2014), squiddles (04-14-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-14-2014)