Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Having a Martha Home the Mary Way (book/devotional)

Has anyone read it? It has fairly positive reviews on Amazon.
Link to book

I'm currently reading through the Life Giving Home by Sally Clarkson (enjoyable, thoughtful) so I'm not in a rush to buy this one, but it intrigues me. Wondering if anyone has read it and if you would recommend it. It has a companion book as well.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (05-24-2016), sunflowermom (05-24-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a Martha Home the Mary Way (book/devotional)

I'd like to read it, but I'll wait for a $3 sale.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got it out from the library. I'm only on day 3. Depending on how many 'you can clean you're house' type books you have read, this feels similar.

It is currently overdo at the library, so I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to read.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
bananacake (05-24-2016), SalH (05-24-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow, it sounds interesting. Otherwise...the title of the book causes me some icky feelings. Something like: "You should have a Martha home because you are a woman".

But perhaps I'm reading too much just in a book title. It is not easy to give good titles to books.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (05-20-2016), Tasmanian Saint (05-20-2016), ValiantJoy07 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #5
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

I downloaded a free sample. To be honest I'm more interested in 'having a Mary heart in a Martha world' which I have but haven't read yet. This seems to me to be a housekeeping book with a spiritual element to sell more books but probably not teach very much extra.

I think that any books with practical tips in are good, and we can probably find the spiritual element ourselves in our daily lives by being intentional (yes, many many books on that!!) and by not multi tasking. That's my one massive thing. Not multi tasking, and having less on purpose, so that there's less housework to do in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

So many good websites to read on housework, domesticity, and being intentional. If you find me on Pinterest I have a board called 'domestic awesomeness' and another on simplicity and intention. There's a lot for free on the net, and if you read blog posts rather than books you can generally find enough info and make it your own style. My name on pinterest is Sal Huckel. I've had all this as a thought hobby for a long time, but really been making big changes over the past 2 years and the difference is amazing, and life giving.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (05-24-2016), Lady Grey (05-24-2016), MariJo7 (05-24-2016), mummy2boys (05-24-2016), sunflowermom (05-24-2016), tempus vernum (05-24-2016), TraceMama (05-27-2016), ValiantJoy07 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #6
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalH View Post
I downloaded a free sample. To be honest I'm more interested in 'having a Mary heart in a Martha world' which I have but haven't read yet. This seems to me to be a housekeeping book with a spiritual element to sell more books but probably not teach very much extra.

I have this book to read as well! I'll have to find my Pinterest password and look you up Sal

ValiantJoy07 - I hadn't heard of that book so will see if I can download some of it like Sal did. Thanks for the heads up on it
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day

Last edited by mummy2boys; 05-24-2016 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Typo
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (05-24-2016), SalH (05-24-2016), ValiantJoy07 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #7
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalH View Post

I think that any books with practical tips in are good, and we can probably find the spiritual element ourselves in our daily lives by being intentional (yes, many many books on that!!) and by not multi tasking. That's my one massive thing. Not multi tasking, and having less on purpose, so that there's less housework to do in the first place.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

So many good websites to read on housework, domesticity, and being intentional. If you find me on Pinterest I have a board called 'domestic awesomeness' and another on simplicity and intention. There's a lot for free on the net, and if you read blog posts rather than books you can generally find enough info and make it your own style. My name on pinterest is Sal Huckel. I've had all this as a thought hobby for a long time, but really been making big changes over the past 2 years and the difference is amazing, and life giving.

Thanks I followed you, poking around your minimalist stuff.

I have got to get life whittled down, but I'm not sure how to do it.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
SalH (05-24-2016), The Tickle Momster (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I own Mary heart in a martha world. I have started it several times and not finished it. I just picked it up again this week and want to try again because even the first few chapters have helped me

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
SalH (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:47 AM   #9
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I own Mary heart in a martha world...
I was in a Bible study group that used this book. I liked it and liked the study that went along with it.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
SalH (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #10
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I was curious about this book and read a bunch of the reviews. The author has a blog series that seems to give a good overview of the book. I decided not to buy it after going over the blog series. It wasn't bad, just not what I was looking for.
SalH (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Find the first Mary/Martha book at Goodwill yesterday.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (05-24-2016), SalH (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
I was curious about this book and read a bunch of the reviews. The author has a blog series that seems to give a good overview of the book. I decided not to buy it after going over the blog series. It wasn't bad, just not what I was looking for.

Interesting, because one of the things that people like Ruth Soukup say to people wanting to break in to blogging and e book writing, is that they have republished a blog series as a book that people then pay for.

I borrowed Living well, spending less from the library last week. Glad I borrowed the book because I discovered it wasn't very good at all really, if you have been reading blogs around those kinds of issues, and I think she also has re written her blog into a book. good on her, but I am glad I didn't pay for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SalH For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (05-27-2016)