Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
pirandellian
Deactivated

on moderated status

pirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spring Home Blessing Challenge

Happy first day of Spring! It's finally here! Many have suffered through a long, cold, VERY snowy winter. The temps are finally above freezing, so lets get cleaning!

We will officially start on Monday, March 24 and finish on Sunday April 13 (three total weeks). Weeks run Monday through Sunday. Please tally up your points and post them in that weeks thread by Monday evening so we can announce the winner. Total points for the whole challenge are due Monday April 14.

PRE-CHALLENGE:
For those who are ready and raring to go, I have a few "pre-challenge challenges"! Points count toward your final total (not the first week).

• SHBC-prep. Finish this challenge (listed with the main list) before Monday and get a bonus 500 points!
  • Goodwill/Donation run- if you have a pile of things ready to go, clear them out now to make room for all the stuff you'll find during the next three weeks! Get them out of your house and get a bonus 500 points!
  • Declutter all surfaces- it helps to have something done, so get your surfaces cleaned off! 100points for every table, counter, bathroom vanity or dresser that is cleared of clutter by Monday morning!
  • Before pictures- Take before pictures of your house (or a video tour!) to show us what you are starting with. 300 pts
  • Any of the regular chores- for all the "daily" or "weekly" chores above, takethe points for them and add them here. It will help you get into the routine of recording what you do!
  • Family fun- Take some time as a family this weekend and do something fun. Let us know what it was! 500pts
The "regular list" follows (spoilered for size).

pirandellian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pirandellian For This Useful Post:
StoryOfGrace (03-21-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring Home Blessing Challenge

Thank you for the pre-challenge, Rachel.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
derdsgirl
Rose Trellis

derdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond reputederdsgirl has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing! I'll be back to organize myself. I'm pretty excited about this.
Mom to Z (13 years), C (12 years), and V (11 years)

There is no bad news in Jesus.

"Abandoning hope is an affirmation, the beginning of the beginning." –Pema Chödrön, When Things Fall Apart

Where medicine ends, faith begins.
derdsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
prov31craftymom
Rose Garden

prov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Do we take points for every good will run, or just count them once? I have already gone twice, and have a huge bin in my basement that needs to go. (If its once, that's fine.)

Echo is 7!
Charlie is 5!!!!!
Romeo is 2!

Save
prov31craftymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
joystrength
Rose Garden

Get it? Sock.Monkey. ????

joystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud ofjoystrength has much to be proud of

I want....
.... no ....

.... NEEEEEDDD ...
... to play!!!

His joy IS my strength! Live a life of HIS purpose

How long will it go on? If you keep living the way you are living, then you will keep living the way you are living. If you want your life to change, then CHANGE your life. Live differently, for repentance is a way of life. -- DH!

joystrength is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joystrength For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-20-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
prov31craftymom
Rose Garden

prov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond reputeprov31craftymom has a reputation beyond repute

My picture thread.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...10#post5703510

Echo is 7!
Charlie is 5!!!!!
Romeo is 2!

Save
The Following User Says Thank You to prov31craftymom For This Useful Post:
pirandellian (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
peekaboomama
Climbing Rose

peekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in At least for the first and last week, we're going on VACATION! the 31st.

Gabi Sunshine: Blogging sewing and creative play
peekaboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peekaboomama For This Useful Post:
pirandellian (03-21-2014), prov31craftymom (03-21-2014), RiverRock (03-21-2014), StoryOfGrace (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Not understanding why hand washing dishes or line drying laundry gets more points than using a dishwasher or dryer.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

What is "bonding time" for 100 pts?

I these challenges. I wish I could participate and play along, but with a 2 week old, I don't know how much I can get done.
But, with all that has been going on here at GCM, it has me going down GCM memory lane in my head, and thinking a lot about "days gone by". I remember the very first challenge we did back in 2007 when my third baby had just gotten mobile. I remember feeling so overwhelmed and alone in my journey to keep up with my house, and how I needed some accountability and wanted a homekeeping challenge to know I was not alone in my efforts to keep my home from blowing up. So, joyful mama, whom I do not think is here anymore, came up with lists and posted the first official challenge. Oh, how it has evolved over the years!

Mara, I do remember how people were thinking some inequality existed with points because people that had no dishwasher felt like they were expending more effort than people that had dishwashers. Same with hanging out the laundry vs. just having to flip it in the dryer. HTH.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (03-21-2014), StoryOfGrace (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
pirandellian
Deactivated

on moderated status

pirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond reputepirandellian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov31craftymom View Post
Thanks! Do we take points for every good will run, or just count them once? I have already gone twice, and have a huge bin in my basement that needs to go. (If its once, that's fine.)
I would say take them for each physical trip. So long as you aren't splitting it up so you take one thing here and one thing there and suddenly it's 100 trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraL356 View Post
Not understanding why hand washing dishes or line drying laundry gets more points than using a dishwasher or dryer.
It's more physical work/time consuming. I mostly just copied a previous list.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
What is "bonding time" for 100 pts?

I these challenges. I wish I could participate and play along, but with a 2 week old, I don't know how much I can get done.
But, with all that has been going on here at GCM, it has me going down GCM memory lane in my head, and thinking a lot about "days gone by". I remember the very first challenge we did back in 2007 when my third baby had just gotten mobile. I remember feeling so overwhelmed and alone in my journey to keep up with my house, and how I needed some accountability and wanted a homekeeping challenge to know I was not alone in my efforts to keep my home from blowing up. So, joyful mama, whom I do not think is here anymore, came up with lists and posted the first official challenge. Oh, how it has evolved over the years!

Mara, I do remember how people were thinking some inequality existed with points because people that had no dishwasher felt like they were expending more effort than people that had dishwashers. Same with hanging out the laundry vs. just having to flip it in the dryer. HTH.
bonding time can be how you define it! Maybe reading with the kid(s), cuddling, spending some time with your husband, whatever. it's pretty flexible!

And do what you can! with all the drama, I was reminded of how i posted in here a lot more when I was a newbie... and my house needs to be cleaned, badly, so hurrah for a new challenge!
pirandellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
prov31craftymom
Rose Garden

I was thinking about posting a thread in let's chat so the newbies can come find us and play a long. Its always more fun when more people join in.

Echo is 7!
Charlie is 5!!!!!
Romeo is 2!

Save
Old 03-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
StoryOfGrace
Rose Garden

INFP...Don't mind me!

StoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond reputeStoryOfGrace has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here. I'm also loaded with morning all-day sickness, so I doubt I'll rack up too many points, but anything is better than the nothing I've been doing!

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post

Oh man, if I had to do those things by hand (as I did growing up), I'd want triple points!

"Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded.
What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like You did?
"
~Casting Crowns

StoryOfGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

So, I have the prep done. List for the next 3 weeks: Clear out/organize hall closet, HTCI our master bath, deal with the multiple containers I have full of stuff while I have been HTCI ( ), clean/paint over subfloor spots so DH can put the laminate down, list more stuff on the local yard sale site.

Box to Goodwill.

We went to see the Muppets today as our family fun.
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamamonkey For This Useful Post:
StoryOfGrace (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
peekaboomama
Climbing Rose

peekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond repute

Family Fun 500 pts: Saturday we went to the zoo! For the very first time since Grace was born! It's about an hour and a half drive away, so we got up pretty early and arrived when they opened. It was pretty cold, but we had a BLAST! A bunch of the animals were really playful - even the hippo

Gabi Sunshine: Blogging sewing and creative play
peekaboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #15
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Where is a zoo near you with a hippo? (PM me if you don't want to say on a public thread )

I couldn't find a hippo ANY where near us (we're east coast, but I have family in the midwest). DS wants to see one badly.
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote