Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whole 30

I'm sure there are plenty of you who probably eat the Whole 30 on a regular basis. It will be new to me. I've done GF/DF but haven't taken out all grains, sugar and alcohol away all at the same time. Anyone done this, have survival tips, or must-have recipes?
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whole 30

I just did the Authoimmune Protocol which is like the Whole30 but more restrictive (for the most part - it does allow some things Whole30 does not, but then it eliminates all eggs, seeds, nuts, seed spices, fruit spices, and nightshades/nightshade spices). I did a Whole 30 in 2014 and lasted 28 days because I didn't know I was pregnant when I started, I was so sick, and I just wanted a rice cake (side note - if they had allowed white potatoes at the time as they do now, that probably would have done the trick)

I got the Whole30 cookbook from the library. A great resource.

Google "WHole30 batch cooking." This will save you a lot of time and energy.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (09-30-2017), simplegirl (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
simplegirl
Rose Garden

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the library! Great idea about checking for the cookbook!

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
I just did the Authoimmune Protocol which is like the Whole30 but more restrictive (for the most part - it does allow some things Whole30 does not, but then it eliminates all eggs, seeds, nuts, seed spices, fruit spices, and nightshades/nightshade spices). I did a Whole 30 in 2014 and lasted 28 days because I didn't know I was pregnant when I started, I was so sick, and I just wanted a rice cake (side note - if they had allowed white potatoes at the time as they do now, that probably would have done the trick)

I got the Whole30 cookbook from the library. A great resource.

Google "WHole30 batch cooking." This will save you a lot of time and energy.
Besides being pregnant and feeling sick was it helpful to you?
Old 09-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl View Post

Besides being pregnant and feeling sick was it helpful to you?
I'd say not really. It was BY FAR my worst pregnancy, and I was in the best shape of my life. So who knows if it helped because I was just so sick. The Autoimmune Protocol was more helpful, and I'd like to do it again.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I just lost a super long post about this. ARGH!!

Long story short, I'm currently in the middle of my third whole 30. It's not easy- not going to lie. But it also makes you realize how you use food for emotional support. The first time was the hardest. Here are some of my tips/thoughts.
-If you can, do it with someone else. Having my dh do it with me makes a big difference.
-Plan and prepare!! Super key. You have to figure out what you're going to eat. You need to have emergency food along that is compliant- it's really hard to find it when you are out.
-Google "whole 30 x store" to get some grocery list ideas. It's too depressing to wander through the store reading labels and seeing all the things you can't eat. I like this one (she has other stores too):
https://littlebitsof.com/2016/03/who...es-must-haves/
I recently found her list and got some of the sausages, turkey burgers, and chicken chili lime burgers. So nice to have something quick on hand that is compliant.
-The first round I bought a lot of special ingredients and made fancy recipes trying to find things that we liked and were different than the same old, same old. Honestly it left me feeling like w30 was expensive and so labor intensive. This time around, I'm keeping it much simpler. I haven't bought any ingredients I wouldn't otherwise have and have just made simple recipes.
-Love the coconut larabars. When I did my first round, I told my friend they tasted like the coconut girl scout cookies. She thought I'd totally lost it. Ha! But your taste buds really do change!
-I eat more than 2 fruit servings a day. Sorry, but I just have to have a little joy in my day. I can't be that hard core.
-Not gonna lie. I'm still waiting for all the energy it promises. I know that for me, the two things that really affect me are sugar/grains. That's what I crave. I can eat dairy, gluten, all of it. And my body does feel better in the sense that I'm not eating as much and eating healthier, but I'm still frustrated that it promises all this energy and I'm still falling asleep every afternoon. I'm sure it's related to not getting enough sleep, but I wish there was some kind of energy boost for me!!
-I really miss being able to eat out. Not that we do it much at all anyway, but just knowing the option isn't there makes you miss it more. The first time we got the compliant food at Chipotle, and it was such a disappointment. So sad.

Here are some recipes we like:
https://littlebitsof.com/2017/01/che...-chicken-parm/ Just found this one and really really liked it. Feels like eating regular food.
https://laughingspatula.com/sheet-pan-fajitas/
https://thelemonbowl.com/mustard-lem...-and-potatoes/
http://bravoforpaleo.com/2015/12/30/...reakfast-bowl/ good for a change from eggs
https://lexiscleankitchen.com/zesty-chicken-bites/

Definitely try to make extra dinner food so you have something for lunch. And plan! Did I mention you don't want to be caught without compliant food on hand when you're hungry? You are going to miss the convenience of grabbing something easy from the fridge, so plan ahead and have food ready to go.

Join the Whole 30 FB and instagram pages. I like the FB posts about each day and what you're probably thinking/experiencing. The whole 30 founder also has a cookbook out. I didn't get a lot of good ideas from it, but definitely worth seeing if they have it at your library! Hope this helps! It's hard but good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (09-30-2017), Reva (10-02-2017), simplegirl (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
simplegirl
Rose Garden

Thank you esperanza!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-02-2017), esperanza (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done a few whole30s and we still have a few whole30 ish meals pretty much weekly. I'd highly recommend checking out anything your library has to offer. I like the WellFed books (2 mostly, 1's ok, but NOT Weeknights). Nomnompaleo also has a new book I really like. In terms of pure survival, batch cooking is where it's at. Veggie prep ahead of time. Be prepared to be completely overwhelmed with the amount of veggies in your fridge, amazed at how quickly you go through them, and how often you need to grocery shop for them. Nomnompaleo also has several months worth of meal ideas another blog called Kitchen Stewardship has an excellent details breakdown of everything they ate for the month. Variety is obviously key, but I definitely settle into a routine for at least breakfast and lunch - ie, breakfast is still often leftover dinner veggies cooked with fried eggs. I can only do so much meal planning, some things need to go on autopilot. Also, individual cups of guacamole have saved me many a day, one of those Wholly Guac cups and some sliced cucumbers or carrots and I can pretend to make it another day!

ETA: my absolute favorite W30 complaint recipe, that we still eat weekly, is the salmon patties out of WellFed 2. My Dh's is the chili out of the same book. They've both been in regular rotation for years!

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*

Last edited by greengirl19; 10-01-2017 at 12:00 PM.
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-02-2017), simplegirl (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #8
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

Got this in my inbox today:

10 Whole30 Crockpot Freezer Meals in 90 Minutes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-02-2017), simplegirl (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 AM   #9
simplegirl
Rose Garden

So the quick snacks...I know those to be so important from past eliminations. So far just from this thread I've gotten guacamole cups and coconut larabars. I saw a "coconut pie" larabars. Is that the same thing? Any other quick snacks?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #10
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, coconut pie is the same thing. There are other compliant bars but that is my favorite. Almonds is also another good snack.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
simplegirl (10-03-2017)