Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #16
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

Quote:
the kids wear rash guards as tops
What's this?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #17
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...scid=483490012

They are typically worn under wetsuits when surfing.

I find them at Sam's club every year and I have also bought a few at thrift stores.
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Titanium dioxide is not carcinogenic, except when processed to nanoparticle size. Some sunscreens and cosmetics are made with titanium dioxide processed that fine. Some aren't.

http://www.theorganicmakeupcompany.c...iumdioxide.asp
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Well, dd has never worn sunscreen- last summer when we went to the pool, I had a sun hat on her, and she was in our solarveil water sling. She was out of it for some time, but not long enough to do any damage. (By damage, I mean she didn't even tan, much less burn.)

We definitely don't wear sunscreen on a regular basis here, but we always have whenever we plan to be out in the sunshine for a long period of time- like a water park, or the beach- but I've become more and more convinced that sunscreens may do more harm than good. But the titanium dioxide thing has thrown me for a loop! I knew that parabens were carcinogenic, but I haven't really "researched" it- more of a when in doubt don't kind of thing- so does anyone have any good articles about the dangers of parabens?

And finally, what I use for sun protection- and I haven't actually had the need to be out there long enough to test it yet- is St John's Wort Oil- many people have concerns that it causes photosensitivity, but the only evidence linking SJW with photosensitivity is some cows who grazed on the plant became photosensitive. The OIL, applied TOPICALLY seems to have the opposite effect- it protects against the radiation of the sun.

Here are my (admittedly nonscientific) resources for that:
http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/v...ight=sunscreen

Pay special attention to the posts by Lady B (a marvelous woman! )
http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/v...screen&start=0

http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/viewtopic.php?t=904

Anyway, I'm using SJW oil for myself, but I'm looking for something for dd for our trip to FL in June- I think we'll be spending enough time at the beach that sunscreen (even with the sun hat and solarveil sling) will be a necessity for us. So, I'm looking for a good sunscreen too.
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

First I didn't know that UVA being dangerous was NEW research , we have been using UVA/UVB blocking high SPF sunscreen (the Alba which now may actually BE paraben free - somewebsites may have been misinformed). ANyways, I have known since before kids that you need UVA/UVB blockage. I learned when my BIL got a melanoma removed from his back .

On the back of our ALBA it says "a broad spectrum UVA and UVB shielf providing high protection against sunburn". Oh and broad spectrum is important too because it blocks many colors on the light spectrum

FOr our family, as far as sunscreen usage, we don't have a choice this year. 3 of Luke's chemos cause BAD sunburn. We are talking possiblity of blisters and QUICKLY and honestly at 6 weeks old, ALyssa got sunburnt even when we kept her ONLY in the shade It was crushing to me. She has the complection of a red head. That said, I am hoping that some year we are able to reduce/eliminate? our sunscreen usage. Hopefully that will be next year . I will say I don't apply sunscreen till we are in the sun because it gives about 15 minutes of absorption and I want them to be exposed to the good things in the sun. Only on heavy chemo weeks does Luke get sunscreened 15 minutes before leaving the house.

As far as titanium dioxide. I have read that it is a carcinogen. But I just googled and it looks similar to the dairy/no dairy, soy/no soy. We all have to look at both sides and "make our choice" . For my family, having a child that already has cancer, if something is labeled a carginogen by some and not by others, we still avoid it if we can!

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #21
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use sunscreen ( or very rarly) a diet rich in Omega 3 has pretty much allowed me to go suncreen free. that along with jsut my skin tone ect. However DD whos diet isn't the best because of her food and diet issues and being very fair skinned I use Califorina babystuff on her we get it through out local Target store. This is southern AZ heat is intense and pretty much year around. She wont keep a hat on and long sleeves can be torture once the heat comes in. and makes water play hard I only put it one her if shes pretty much going to be playing in water and I hope as shes grows shes accept a better diet...

Deanna
Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
musicmama
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

musicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond reputemusicmama has a reputation beyond repute

While I can tan just looking out a window, Sophia got my husband skin tone and is so pasty white she sometimes looks blue!

I've been wondering what brand/what to do for her for a while now, so I'm watching this intently. Did you figure anything out, Jodi?

We're going to the Outer Banks in May and I just plan on keeping her out of the sun, so far. And she does have a little covered float...
mama to my long-awaited miracle Sophia 11/06
and her sweet beanie sister Chelsea 8/10

Creative Genius behind Sophiecat Creations

She is clothed with
strength and dignity
and laughs without fear
of the future.
Proverbs 31:25

musicmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #23
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we just got our frontier order and MamaMansa and I took a chance and ordered the Alba - it's still paraben free so I have no clue why some websites are showing parabens

I was thrilled because it's on sale this month and because I can keep on ordering it

We tried to go sunscreen free earlier this week and it backfired. Luke broke out in a rash around hismouth due to chemo and Alyssa and I burnt on our faces . It wasn't even hot. We were outside with hats and long sleeves so our bodies were fine but apparently hats and good diets won't do it for us even during the spring in Wisconsin

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 04-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
First I didn't know that UVA being dangerous was NEW research , we have been using UVA/UVB blocking high SPF sunscreen (the Alba which now may actually BE paraben free - somewebsites may have been misinformed). ANyways, I have known since before kids that you need UVA/UVB blockage. I learned when my BIL got a melanoma removed from his back .

I didn't clarify. The new research showed that broad spectrum sunscreens currently on the market have a gap in their protection in part of the UVA spectrum. Granted, I read this in a study funded by a pharma company that is selling a new sunblock to cover that gap.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #25
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

we bought Alba last summer...I liked it.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

this is old..but bumping for the season.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
malakoa
Rose Garden

Fearless

malakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant futuremalakoa has a brilliant future

Fish oil fish oil fish oil. I gave some to dd every day in Mexico and forgot sunscreen most days
She never burned.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #28
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I attribute my regular intake of cod liver oil to my not burning last summer. I tanned nicely, when I usually burn then go back to white. (And I mean, *white*!) We haven't been taking it as regularly, and got burned on the first sunny day we were out a lot. I've attempted to up our intake considerably. I should also start with the regular applications of SJW oil again. I started in March last year, and it totally slipped by me this year!
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

How much fish oil do you take?
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #30
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I saw the title of this thread and thought - yay! and then I realized I started it last year

I agree with fish oil but we still burn sometimes Not too badly but a little.

I take 1 t to 1 T depending. Older Kids each take 1.5 t Still haven't found a fish oil dd2 (youngest will take)