Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #121
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home-keeping Schedules

Here's what I've come up with and it has CHANGED my life!! We've been doing it for 3 weeks, and I'm not as crazy as I used to be because I have a routine. I'm about half-way through a whole house organizing/decluttering spree and that has helped a ton- to have a specific place for everything to go.

I broke it down into just a few things a day and it's sooo nice. Like today, I was running low on time and started to deep clean the kitchen, and I actually pulled myself away, knowing it will get done later this week. It lifted the stress and time crunch I was feeling and I was able to spend time with my kids.

I underlined what's on my list- just a few words to make it easy for me, but explained a little in case it could help anyone. My list was inspired by a former GCM and I wish she was still around so I could thank her for the jumping board!

Every night before we go to bed :
1. Upstairs toys cleaned up
2. Sink clear or almost clear
3. Kitchen table clear

These are fairly flexible- like if we are out late or have company, but that's only happened a few times.

As needed:
Sweep main floor
Vacuum kitchen rug/shake rugs
Wash cloth diapers
Extra tidying

Extra laundry

M- laundry/change sheets- I take ALL the laundry downstairs and sort it. I wash/fold/put away as much as I possibly can. I usually get almost all of it done- Today I put away 3 baskets that were left over, and washed 2 more loads and I'm totally caught up. I used to try to do one load a day and it was too crazy. Changing sheets this same day guarantees that clean ones get back on my bed, and the spare set gets put back in the closet. I also have cleaning our room on Mondays- picking up my clothes, putting away necklaces that I pile up during the week, etc. On Mondays I also try to make a meal.

T- girl's rooms - I keep Tuesdays and Thursdays easy because I work in the evenings and try to reserve some of my energy for that. I just check their rooms for any extra messes that need to be cleaned up. Or I organize their pajama drawers, clean up random stuff that may have fallen to the closet floors, get the changing table organized, etc DH's Tuesday job is to clean up the basement - Today I did it for him, but will ask him to vacuum the family room, change the cat litter, put away a few dishes, and sweet the laundry room. I don't usually make meals on Tuesdays or Thursdays- DH will make something, do leftovers, or do something easy like sandwiches and veggies.

W- Dust. I haven't done this yet. I'll be dusting one or two rooms a week once I get the dusting going. Organize a closet or drawer. Tidy main floor. Make a meal.

T- Deep clean kitchen - I wipe everything down, organize a cabinet or drawer, clean up the fridge, microwave, etc. I also do bathrooms on Thursdays, so they are fresh for the weekend in case we end up with company. DH's job is to finish the bathroom and do trash on this night. Gather everything and take it down...although we might swap his Tu and Th jobs because of the garbage dude's schedule.

F- Free day/Catch up day. I usually take the girls out to do something on Fridays. Shopping, playdates, etc. I try to make a meal. My main thing on Fridays is to plan next week's homeschool stuff.

S- I work on Saturdays, so I'm free, but DH does the upstairs floors (we have hardwood that he refinished, so he likes to check it out every week and watch how it wears<3) and any of his laundry that I may have missed/didn't have time for.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (06-06-2014)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #122
bclemons84

Blondie, your cleaning schedule sounds very much like mine. I will add that I vacuum our apartment every other day just to because it is so dusty in here for some reason and that really bothers my sinuses. Other than that, I do spend around 30 minutes to 1 hour a day doing cleaning stuff but it is spread throughout the day and it depends on what Jada is doing. I get most of my cleaning done during her afternoon nap or in the evenings after she gets to bed.
I LOVE having a place to put everything.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #123
JenniferJuniper
Rose Bouquet

With Lilacs In Her Hair

JenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this schedule and have been LOVING it! I got it from moneysavingmoms dot com - in their downloadable section. She's gives her example, but there's a customizable one as well.

I have it broken into daily and weekly:

Daily

Before Breakfast
- Shower & Dress
- Make Beds
- Get Eloise Up & Changed
- Start Load of Laundry
- Put Clean dinner dishes away

After Breakfast
- Clean up Breakfast Dishes
- Take out Meat for Dinner
- 5-Minute Pick Up ((These are my LIFE savers!))
- Flip Laundry

After Lunch
- Eloise down for Nap
- Clean Lunch Dishes
- Put Clean Breakfast Dishes Away
- Sweep Kitchen Floor
- 5-Minute Pick up & Quiet Time

Before Dinner
- Dinner Prep
- Fold & Put Away Laundry
- Day of the Week Chores
- 5-Minute Pick Up

After Dinner
- Clean up Dinner Dishes
- 5-Minute Pick Up

Weekly To-Do

Monday
- Strip and Wash Bedding
- Clean Bathroom

Tuesday
- Kitchen - Clean out refrigerator
- Wipe Down Appliances
- Mop Kitchen floor

Wednesday
- Vacuum & Dust 2nd Floor
- Clean 2nd floor Windows & Blinds

Thursday
- Grocery Shopping/Errands
- Meal Plan for the Week

Friday
-Vacuum & Dust Main Floor
- Get Behind Couch / Toy Hunt
- Every 2nd week - vacuum under couch cushions

Saturday
- Outside work
- Clean out Car

Sunday
- Crock-Pot Meal
- Day Of Rest

So that's what I've been doing and LOVING it! I feel so much more organized and cleaner! I'm really making a commitment to stick to it!

Peace,
- Jenny
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenniferJuniper For This Useful Post:
blondie (12-18-2012), Hopetobe (06-06-2014)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #124
GamGam007

Thumbs up Re: Home-keeping Schedules

I have a schedule for my home, but have not been following it lately. However, I LOVE seeing everyone's schedules! It's encouraging.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #125
FarmMama
Rose Bouquet

FarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmMama View Post
So many great ideas! I am currently trying to get on paper what it is I WANT done every day and to be more organized. I find that the basics that make the house seem clean (and this is daily) would be two loads of clothes washed and put away (that part is often the hardest for me), two loads in the dishwasher, make beds, wipe down bathroom, and pick up floors. Then maybe atack a hot spot a day? I don't know, just pinging ideas out there. But I love all the ideas that you all have mentioned!
*cough* two years later aaaaand
DD1 3.24.09
DD2 10.20.12
DS2 7.25.15
FarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #126
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

I need to go through this again. I have NOT been keeping up with regular maintenance on the house. I've been picking up, but besides dishes, cleaning has not been happening here.

I've even been forgetting to do laundry on a regular basis

Time to recommit!
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #127
Snake_Girl
Rosebud

Snake_Girl will become famous soon enough

I don't do well with a rigid schedule. I use my own version of FlyLady's morning routine (I THRIVE on a morning routine - it just sets the whole tone for the rest of the day) but for the rest of the day we pretty much fly by the seat of our pants! I would like to dedicate a day to each part of the house. Something like Monday - living room, Tuesday - kitchen, Wednesday - bathroom, Thursday - bedrooms, Friday - outside work. We're about to move, though, so I'm going to wait to try and implement that.
Scale mama to 8 ball pythons, 1 blue tongue skink - Smaug
Snake_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #128
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

How often do you wipe baseboards and stuff? Doors? Cupboard doors?

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #129
MariekeSings
Rose Trellis

Discovering motherhood

MariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond reputeMariekeSings has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing to come back and read the whole thing.

Married to my Sound Guy since 8/2006
Mama to G ~ 2/2014

DYT 3/1 (Officially thanks to Chaos Coordinator ) ~ IsFp
WAHM: Singer/Voice Teacher

MariekeSings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #130
princessrhani
Deactivated

Married to Samuel since 2008, Mama to Esther Rose since 2013.

princessrhani is on a distinguished road

I love Fly Lady! I need to get back on the cleaning bandwagon!

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

What's the run down on motivational mum? Is it similar to Fly Lady?
princessrhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #131
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's the run down on motivational mum? Is it similar to Fly Lady?
its different. its a premade checklist that changes (very slightly) from week to week
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #132
LeoCross
Seedling Rose

LeoCross is on a distinguished road

Coming back to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #133
TwoMams
Seedling Rose

TwoMams is on a distinguished road

I have a loose daily routine moreso than schedule, and I have to keep it flexible with a one year old and a three year old to care for. Often I sleep quite badly between the two of them, with breastfeeding overnight so don't want to overload with work.
Meals are the priority here as I am currently following "The Maker's Diet" and the rest of the household eats more Nourishing Traditions style. This means my house is often messy because there just ain't time to do it all!
Morning is breakfast, unpack/repack dishwasher, a load of washing on a good day, a break for me (20 minutes online with tea or coffee) then it's art or school stuff (homeschoolers to be!).
Around midmorning I start lunch and prep dinner. After lunch is a quick floor pick-up and vacuum in the main areas then I take the girls outside to garden for as long as I can manage.
In again for snack, more washing (laundry) then the girls play and I relax for a bit before dinner, bath, bed, clean kitchen (again, on a good day! ).
I find that if we are home several days in a row I am caught up enough on the basics to then spend time on the bathroom, bedrooms and more deep cleaning needs - this is really on done when the areas get messy enough to annoy me.
TwoMams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TwoMams For This Useful Post:
sunflowermom (07-26-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #134
JenniferJuniper
Rose Bouquet

With Lilacs In Her Hair

JenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond repute

ARG! Reading my old schedule is kinda depressing..I was doing so good and I've fallen off the wagon, time to RECOMMIT!

---------- Post added at 06:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

I try to do a wipedown of cupboards once every 2 weeks, baseboards..honestly, when I notice they look gross. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to JenniferJuniper For This Useful Post:
peekaboomama (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #135
peekaboomama
Climbing Rose

peekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so bad at housekeeping; I have a loose schedule this summer that I'm finally getting towards following. It's not extensive; I'm operating under the "it's better to do SOMETHING than nothing" mindset. But I've made major strides over the past 3 months and I'm really pleased!

Every day: stay on top of dishes and laundry, general pick up, wipe off the table and sweep - ideally after every meal but realistically at least once a day. I've come to appreciate making our bed. Garden work while the kids play in the yard. And quick wipe the bathroom surfaces (we only have one bathroom so it gets dirty fast).

Monday: Kitchen
Tuesday: Change and wash sheets and towels; make grocery list
Wednesday: Errands and clean out car
Thursday: Dust (ha! rarely happens) and Declutter
Friday: Floors - vacuum and mop
Saturday: Yard work, family errands
Sunday: Get head on straight for another week!

Things like blinds, baseboards, cabinet doors, etc get done when they catch my attention... which doesn't happen all that often. That will get added to my rotation eventually. Right now I've just got to get the habit of doing some cleaning every single day.

Gabi Sunshine: Blogging sewing and creative play
peekaboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peekaboomama For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (02-15-2015)