Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I get the boys to sleep in their room the whole night?

I have 2 months to make it happen.

Our current set up is the boys starting the night in their room, then around midnight they join me in bed. When DH comes to bed (between 12am-2am - he works nights), he puts DS1 on a mattress on the floor and DS2 sleeps between DH and me.

There is no space in our room to put two mattresses on the floor (it's just 9x9), so by the time baby comes, I need the boys to sleep all night in their room.

How do I do it? They both hate the idea.

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get the boys to sleep in their room the whole night?

IdK but if you figure it out, LMK
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (04-25-2012), zak (04-24-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

what if you reverse the sequence of events by letting them start out in your room/bed and then moving them later when you came to bed?

Another thought, couldn't both boys fit on one twin mattress? My youngest girls often shared a twin bed until recently.

My kids also did better staying in their own beds when they had something belonging to dh or I to hold or wear. The little girls still wear old t-shirts that dh gave them a few years ago.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (04-22-2012), Marzipan (04-23-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

You are nicer than I am When the kids come to our room in the middle of the night, they just sleep on the floor. If the floor really bothers them, then they can stay in their beds
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmk4 View Post
what if you reverse the sequence of events by letting them start out in your room/bed and then moving them later when you came to bed?
I suggested this to DH, who was doubtful it would work, but I think we'll give it a try.

Quote:
Another thought, couldn't both boys fit on one twin mattress? My youngest girls often shared a twin bed until recently.
Only a toddler bed fits in our room, next to our bed, a twin wouldn't fit.

Quote:
My kids also did better staying in their own beds when they had something belonging to dh or I to hold or wear. The little girls still wear old t-shirts that dh gave them a few years ago.
I've never thought of that, sounds like a good idea.

SAHM to 3 DS
Adopting from China
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

DH flat out refuses to try the sleep in our bed then move to their room option. He says he'd rather have them start and stay in their room, he thinks it will be "easier". Grrr.

SAHM to 3 DS
Adopting from China
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to figure this out too, at least for one of them. DH and I haven't slept in the same bed for years. There's just not room for 4 of us in our queen.

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Really, even just one night?

We found some success in a sort of reward system.

We put a sticker, to keep track of all the nights ds1 slept in his own bed. When he reached his goal we celebrated

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

We did a reward system for our girls. When they went seven nights (not in a row) of staying in their bed all night, they got to go to the dollar tree. The oldest, 5, did seven nights in a row. The 3 yo (at the time) took ten days to reach 7. After doing that, they just got in the habit of staying in their bed all night. They do occasionally come to our room, but just lay on the floor and don't even bother us.

For our almost seven year old, he was still in our room until last week. I bought him star wars blanket set and curtains, and now he at least falls asleep in his room , and then comes in our room between 2 and 5 and just sleeps on the floor. He never made seven days, so he started counting down last week. He's made it 5 days, in a row
The Following User Says Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

It's not my thread, but can I ask a question?

The reward chart is a good idea, and my daughter would probably respond well to the idea of getting to pick out a surprise. But she's totally delirious in the middle of the night and I don't think she would care at all about earning a prize when she's half asleep just wanting to snuggle, you know?

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperMomma For This Useful Post:
amstermarie (04-24-2012), Emerald Orchid (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
BlessedBlue
Rose Garden

Have you ever heard a fly roar? Listen carefully!

BlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlessedBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Sleep with them in their room? That's how I taught DS1 to stay in his room. And yes, that was while I was pregnant.

That method didn't work with EBug though, and Goggle has needed a different approach as well. None of my children would accomplish this with any sort of bribery (charts, stickers, surprises, etc.)

sister to Blue-EyedLady since forever
wife to Trooper (Wounded Warrior) 3-98
Graphics designing sapphiremama to EBug 2-04, ABoo 2-06, and Goggle 8-09
BlessedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlessedBlue For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (04-25-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I are done co-sleeping. We've been trying every gentle way we could to keep them in their beds, but it wasn't working. About three weeks ago, we started sending the girls to bed (they share a room) with a walkie talkie. If they need something or they're scared, they're allowed to call us on the walkie talkie, but they are NOT allowed to leave their room. It's been working so far. The only times they've come to our room have been when we've been too deeply asleep to hear the walkie talkie. I think they're finding it comforting because it's a real link to a real live Mum and Dad in the other room. So far there's been only one night where they've abused the system and called us excessively.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm due in Oct and I need one out of my room by then (the 5 y/o) and one (the 3 y/o) just on to the bed next to mine (where the 5 y/o is now). A reward worked with dd when she was 6, but I'm not sure it'll matter to ds.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMomma View Post

The reward chart is a good idea, and my daughter would probably respond well to the idea of getting to pick out a surprise. But she's totally delirious in the middle of the night and I don't think she would care at all about earning a prize when she's half asleep just wanting to snuggle, you know?
Yeah, you can't reason with a little one when they wake in the middle of the night If they came to my room in the middle of the night, they just did. I didn't remind them of the reward or anything. How I responded when they came in, depended on how tired I was. If I was super beyond tired, I just let it be. If I was up for it, I just walked them back to bed, and laid down with her till she fell asleep. We also talked about it before bed.

Now, when they come in my room, they don't bother me, because they know if they do that I would walk them back to their room and lay with them until they go to sleep. So, they just come in my room, and sleep on the floor. And that's a-okay with me
The Following User Says Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMomma View Post

Yes, totally, that's why the reward system doesn't sound like a winner with my youngest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBlue View Post
Sleep with them in their room? That's how I taught DS1 to stay in his room. And yes, that was while I was pregnant.
Believe it or not, their room is too small for me to sleep in it (it's 9x6). And their toddler beds are not sturdy enough for me to join them in it.

SAHM to 3 DS
Adopting from China