Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Regional Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tikka Masala

We really love Tikka Masala but I'm a beginner to cooking Indian food. I use jarred sauce but it's never spicy like we like it. I am trying to add spice to it but I can't ever get it quite right. It's good, and I can get it mildly spicy, but I found that adding too much of the same cayenne means I then have to balance with other spices. What spices and chilies do you use to add more flavor and heat?

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tikka Masala

I’ve never made this but maybe red pepper flakes or dried guajillo or ancho peppers. Those both have some flavor and not just heat.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem with my curry. I can only get it mildly spicy and anything more and its not the right blend.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think of Tikka Masala as being too spicy but I think I'd try any red chili like cayenne.

I'm a total recipe person so what I'd do is google a bunch of recipes and see how the spices you're using matches up with a well-reviewed recipe, like this one.

I love Indian food! Good luck!
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't made this one but I love the recipes from Nagi at Recipe Tin Eats.

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-tikka-masala/
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #6
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.thelazygeniuscollective.com/blog/fctm

I haven’t made it, but if the Lazy Genius loves it I would give it a try.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have an Indian grocery store nearby? They will sell bags of bright red chili powder. This is totally different from what Americans call chili powder. This is what is used to add heat. A little bit goes a LOOOOOONG way so start slow to find out how much will give you the kick you want. You can also simmer it with a whole green chili sliced in half (not jalepeno). This is more unpredictable though. Sometimes it does very little, sometimes it renders your food inedible.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (07-15-2021), knitlove (07-12-2021), Llee (07-16-2021), marbles (07-12-2021), twoplustwo (07-13-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #8
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect I'll try that! I add cayenne and red pepper flakes and once a dried pepper someone gave me but I have to add like tablespoons of the cayenne and then it just tastes like cayenne. And there's just not anything else. But I have not been to an Indian grocery store. TBH I'm a little intimidated to go and not really know what I'm looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 07-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
AlishaRose
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

AlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond reputeAlishaRose has a reputation beyond repute

Can you buy birds eye chillies? I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with anything not being spicy enough after I use those!

Mummy to ds1 (age 14) and dd (age 11) and ds2 (age 8)

'Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise'

AlishaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlishaRose For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
Perfect I'll try that! I add cayenne and red pepper flakes and once a dried pepper someone gave me but I have to add like tablespoons of the cayenne and then it just tastes like cayenne. And there's just not anything else. But I have not been to an Indian grocery store. TBH I'm a little intimidated to go and not really know what I'm looking for

Just walk through the aisles slowly until you see the bags of spices. They are usually clear plastic with the name and a picture of Lakshmi on them. They are almost always labeled with English letters. Chili is actually from Hindi so no need worry about translation. If you ask about it though they might not beleive you and give you something else cause everyone knows Amriki loge can't do spicy food.

While you are there look for the junk food and grab a bright orange bag labeled Kurkure. Not one bit healthy but delicious and spicy. Best served alongside sweet milky tea.

And no shame on the jarred masala paste. My husband uses it for Tikka Masala and Chicken Makhani and many of them are authentic (some not so much).

arelyn

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
knitlove (07-13-2021), marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #11
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlishaRose View Post
Can you buy birds eye chillies? I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with anything not being spicy enough after I use those!

I haven't seen them before but I'll look and give it a try

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 07-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

When I first wanted to learn to cook Indian food I was ever so fortunate to have a student whose parents were Indian and his mom was a fabulous cook. She would send me things to try during his lessons and then took me into her kitchen and showed me how she made some of her staples - basic curries and samosas. She used serrano chilis for heat - they're smaller and hotter than jalapenos, have a similar shape and just as readily available in US supermarkets. Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are another option. (Habaneros are the ones that look like mini wrinkled bell peppers.) Generally speaking, the smaller the spicier.

The dairy in the recipe dulls the heat, which makes it tricky. You could try a spicier Garam Masala as well as hot paprika instead of sweet. (I tend to use smoked paprika, but my family is only a moderate spice crowd.)

A bit of Trivia - legend has it that Chicken Tikka Masala was actually created in the UK. (Glasgow, I think?)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
ForHim (07-21-2021), marbles (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #13
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
When I first wanted to learn to cook Indian food I was ever so fortunate to have a student whose parents were Indian and his mom was a fabulous cook. She would send me things to try during his lessons and then took me into her kitchen and showed me how she made some of her staples - basic curries and samosas. She used serrano chilis for heat - they're smaller and hotter than jalapenos, have a similar shape and just as readily available in US supermarkets. Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are another option. (Habaneros are the ones that look like mini wrinkled bell peppers.) Generally speaking, the smaller the spicier.

The dairy in the recipe dulls the heat, which makes it tricky. You could try a spicier Garam Masala as well as hot paprika instead of sweet. (I tend to use smoked paprika, but my family is only a moderate spice crowd.)

A bit of Trivia - legend has it that Chicken Tikka Masala was actually created in the UK. (Glasgow, I think?)
I can get serranos! I used to have habaneros but we don't have them this year. I've heard that, that chicken Tikka masala is more a combination of two dishes or something. Either way, it's really good. I've tried cooking a couple other things and liked them all, but I'm trying to build slowly!

I have so much to go on now!

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 07-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #14
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
I've heard that, that chicken Tikka masala is more a combination of two dishes or something.
So if I go to a dhaba (street food place) and ask for chicken tikka I will get a stick with pieces of chicken on it served with a spicy green mint sauce. Chicken tikka masala is when the restaurant takes the left over kababs, makes a sauce with masala (spice) and serves it by the bowl full with rice or roti.

Habaneros and paprika would taste wrong in my opinion (though food is a very regional thing so people in other places may disagree). Serranos should be very similar to green chilies.

arelyn

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
marbles (07-13-2021), ViolaMum (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
So if I go to a dhaba (street food place) and ask for chicken tikka I will get a stick with pieces of chicken on it served with a spicy green mint sauce. Chicken tikka masala is when the restaurant takes the left over kababs, makes a sauce with masala (spice) and serves it by the bowl full with rice or roti.

Habaneros and paprika would taste wrong in my opinion (though food is a very regional thing so people in other places may disagree). Serranos should be very similar to green chilies.

I've mostly had habaneros in combination with sweet things, which is why I never tried it. I didn't think they would go. I used some smoked paprika this time on the chicken and I didn't really notice a difference, but I didn't use a lot and anyway it isn't spicy.

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny