Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think my dog had a stroke

My 22 yo cat who passed away earlier this year had several strokes the last few years of her life. For her, she was always back to normal the next day or within hours. I’ve read about it a bit when it happened, and it is not unusual at all in older pets. It does seem to be a good sign that she is happy and had not gotten any worse. I will be praying for your pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-19-2018), twoplustwo (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad he is happy and is eating something! Maybe he'll continue on for a good long while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Our oldest Maine Coon cat has been diagnosed as having heart worms. (who knew cats could get them?) There is no treatment for cats.
I had no idea either and I've had cats for 25 years and taken them to many vet appointments! It's never been mentioned!

I am so sorry.

We had a stray Siamese that showed up on our porch one day and moved with us 3 times. He had bone cancer at age 11ish (not sure of his exact age, he was full-grown when we got him). It's never easy.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (09-18-2018), twoplustwo (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

That’s such a beautiful idea to feed people food to extend their life

We fed our dog McDonalds for his last meal. We tried every people food we could think of that was in the house. Once the appointment was made we just kept giving him everything he never could have. Including chocolate.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Reva (09-27-2018), Soliloquy (09-19-2018), Sparrow (09-18-2018), twoplustwo (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #19
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
We fed our dog McDonalds for his last meal. We tried every people food we could think of that was in the house. Once the appointment was made we just kept giving him everything he never could have. Including chocolate.
We had the vet come to our house when it came time for our cat to be euthanized (cancer) and her last meal as the sedative kicked in was a pizza crust. She was SOOO happy It's honestly one of the sweetest memories I have of her.

Praying for your pup, twoplustwo
kiloyd (09-18-2018), Reva (09-27-2018), Soliloquy (09-19-2018), twoplustwo (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #20
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through this twice and my mom just went through it in July. All 3 dogs were 14+. When they stopped eating dry dog food, we gave them canned, then hot dogs or any other meat they'd eat or meat baby food, whatever they would eat that gave us a few more days with them.

Just feed her what she'll eat and love on her.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (09-19-2018), twoplustwo (09-19-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #21
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

My dog is almost totally back to normal.

She still needs eggs mixed with her dog food (but now we just wonder if she is holding out so she get the eggs. )

She walked 2 miles with us Friday. She chased a rabbit all the way forward this am (by all the way - she tried to chase a squirrel a few days ago and just went in a tilty little circle). She was super slow but IN A STRAIGHT LINE. And we did another 2 miles or so with her this evening.

Its because the power of prayer is stronger than steroid shot. She started really recovering after my Thur night bible study prayed for her (one of the leaders knows the dog bc we are neighbors and her son pet sits our dog.)

I know she could have another stroke but we are going to really appreciate our time together. Spoil her.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (09-24-2018), Maedchen (09-23-2018), Quiteria (09-26-2018), Reva (09-27-2018), Singingmom (09-24-2018), Soliloquy (09-25-2018), sweetpeasmommy (09-23-2018), tempus vernum (09-23-2018)
The Following User Says they are praying for twoplustwo:
tempus vernum (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #22
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m so happy to hear this.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #23
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Great news!

Enjoy each day with her.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-24-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think my dog had a stroke

I’m so happy for you. Purely anecdotal, but with our 22 year old cat the subsequent strokes were less severe than the first and she was back to normal within a few hours with no lasting issues.

Edited to add that they were many months apart and never frequent. Maybe 4 or so over the last 3 years of her life.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

Last edited by sweetpeasmommy; 09-25-2018 at 09:32 PM.
sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (09-25-2018), Soliloquy (09-25-2018), tempus vernum (09-26-2018), twoplustwo (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 04:14 AM   #26
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Even more exciting updates. She is now eating dog food without having to mix with eggs. AND she came up the stairs last night in the night! (She has a bed both downstairs and upstairs).
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (09-28-2018), kiloyd (11-13-2018), Maedchen (09-26-2018), Sparrow (09-27-2018), tempus vernum (09-26-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #27
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reva For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (09-27-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 AM   #28
twoplustwo

My dog had another stroke (2 months after the 1st and totally recovering).

This time the vet felt the outcome wouldn't be as good. She couldn't even walk, which means she couldn't even get up and pee or poop.

So we made the decision to put her down. We did that yesterday. She was a good dog and a sweet dog and an old dog.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
The Following 5 Users Say they are praying for twoplustwo:
CelticJourney (11-13-2018), domesticzookeeper (11-13-2018), kiloyd (11-13-2018), Maedchen (11-13-2018), Reva (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #29
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think my dog had a stroke; UPDATE 2nd stroke - not recoverable this time

I'm so sorry But also so grateful you were given those two extra months with her
twoplustwo (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #30
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think my dog had a stroke; UPDATE 2nd stroke - not recoverable this time

Aw, I'm so sorry.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (11-13-2018)