Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lapbooks 101?

For some reason, I just can't understand what lapbooks are/ how to do them. s Will someone help? I like what I know about the concept and they look like a fun way to get my little learners more involved in what we're learning. But, for some reason I'm missing the basics.

Anyone want to walk me though it? Links would be helpful as well. Thank you!
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lapbooks 101?

http://dynamic2moms.webs.com/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

There is actually a Lapbooking 101 website , that looks pretty helpful .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
justbreathe
Deactivated

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

ty! was having a hard time searching on my phone

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Anyone have pics of ones they've done to share?

Any downsides to making lapbooks?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
SuperDudesMama
Rose Bouquet

SuperDudesMama is a glorious beacon of lightSuperDudesMama is a glorious beacon of lightSuperDudesMama is a glorious beacon of lightSuperDudesMama is a glorious beacon of lightSuperDudesMama is a glorious beacon of lightSuperDudesMama is a glorious beacon of light

Holding our sweet son Michael in our hearts (09/27/10 21w1d).
SuperDudesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasara View Post
ty! was having a hard time searching on my phone

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Anyone have pics of ones they've done to share?

Any downsides to making lapbooks?
I was just like you...couldn't wrap my brain around the whole thing. A sweet GCM walked me through IRL. We're on our first one... The only downside...it's the only thing my dd wants to do right now. "Mama, I want to work on my lamptop."
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncsweetpea For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

We did a few lapbooks when my children were younger and they really liked them. We were using Five In A Row at the time and did the lapbooks to go along with the book we were reading. We used this website: http://www.homeschoolshare.com/.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Elora (05-24-2012), justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE lapbooks. I've just started my 4.5 yr old doing them because he wants to do school. He gets practice cutting, coloring, and gluing. Our lapbooks are normally based on books. So I can put in WHATEVER I want/need to cover. Math/Bible verses/art/writing practice/rhyming/health/geography/etc etc.

I NEVER remember to take pictures of ours. We just finished Caps for Sale (maybe I'll try to get some pics of that one and link them up here ) But I save the best ones from each year for their school work folders. My dd at 7 STILL loves to do them, but she's very crafty. I'm thinking of doing this one next with her. Pedro

Right now we're working on A Fish out of Water

If you look at a Fish out of Water and download the pdf. It has lots of pages with different little projects on it. You can print what you want, do what you guys want. Then with all the little projects you (or the kid or a combo of the two ) glue them into a manilla file folder.

My bday is in March and I didn't want to do a lot of school that week, so we did a "St. Patrick's Day" one with the 7 and 4 yr old. They did a great job working 'together' and having a blast. They were sooo proud of it.

The only downside is sometimes there's lots of PAPER scraps covering the school room (which also doubles as the table ) I'm ok with it. I've seen them take away WAY more with the seeing AND doing the learning.

I took Pics Now I have to figure out how to download the pics from my new camera I'm sure it'll come in handy later as well!
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

Last edited by swimming with sharks; 05-24-2012 at 11:27 AM.
swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Grover
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Grover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond repute

I have some pics...let me dig them up for you...

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

This is one from last year- we were learning about apples and Johnny Appleseed
S' s lapbook is on the left.His lapbook included a mini book counting and colouring apples,an envelope with his high frequency words in,also pictures he had coloured in , a lift the flap picture showing what seasons apples are picked,a photo of a peg picture of an apple tree,story sequence pictures.Apple recipes we had tried ...

N's included a tall tale mini book, he had written where the apples in the supermarket had come from,a diagram of an apple ,a picture he had drawn of his favourite part of the story.,the bible verse we were learning ...
here is the back of N's lapbook
One is getting married later this year
Two have flown the nest.
Grandma to four .
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grover For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
ncsweetpea
Deactivated

ncsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond reputencsweetpea has a reputation beyond repute

It helped me to think of it as a personal sized unit study.
ncsweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncsweetpea For This Useful Post:
charla (05-24-2012), justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
justbreathe
Deactivated

I think I'm actually starting to get it! :lightbulb Thank you all so much!

Now my head is swirling with all of these ideas. I had planned to do a 50 states study this summer with the kids but I may skip that and do lapbooks on whatever subjects they want instead.

What are your top lapbook supplies to have on hand? (of course, the folders)

Where do you store all the lapbooks your kiddos make? (I hate clutter but wouldn't want to throw them away after all of that work!)

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

For anyone else interested, I'm finding this page to be very helpful!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Grover
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Grover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond reputeGrover has a reputation beyond repute

I use sticky strips and then file them into a ring binder or lever arch file
http://www.handsofachild.com/related...ategory_id=154

That way the kids can have their own folders and re- read their lapbooks as often as they like
Two have flown the nest.
Grandma to four .
justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
justbreathe
Deactivated

I'm drilling the kids now for ideas for subjects of study. Monkey's answer was "warm" Bear's answer was "history". Thanks a lot kids, that's super helpful.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Grover
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

yeah I stopped asking because there answers were often
I started watching instead.If we went somewhere and something sparked an interest.The best lapbooks we have done have been because I saw they had a natural interest in somthing,castles, penguins,lizards or a particular book they were enjoying
Two have flown the nest.
Grandma to four .
justbreathe (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #15
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

pics clickable thumbnails

co authored lapbook for St. Patrick's Day - we worked on it all week. It's several sections so we used several folders put together.

Front page dot to dot/coloring (4 yr old)

first section

second section

second section with things open - writing prompts - somehow writing that involves coloring goes better than plain writing

3rd section

the activity book on the left side of the 3rd section had all sorts of different pages. This is just an example of one of them.

Here's the one for Madeline we just did with the 4.5 yr old

Front cover

Inside first section

open pieces so you can see what they are. Bottom left corner are girls we cut out and used as math manipulatives. We colored the french flag, located France on the world map (geography is important to us), talked about the body and major organs, I did some of the writing (top left corner little books) and he did some of the writing (rhyme time book).

second section

second section opened up
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

Last edited by swimming with sharks; 05-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.
swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
forty-two (05-27-2012), Grover (05-28-2012), justbreathe (05-27-2012)