Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Dessert *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
dakotablue
Rose Trellis

dakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cake Decorating starter kit?

I really really want to make a dragon cake for DS1 3rd birthday and DS2 1st is coming up in a month.

This year I made a monkey cake, which turned out ok.. my friend who has awesome tools bailed out last second so I used knives.

Anyway I want to buy my own starter kit, but then got really overwhelmed. Does anyone have any recommendations what to start with? I don't want to spend a lot as its really just for me and occasional use, but I have some Christmas money Dh says I have to spend on me and not the kids .

Thanks!!

Pumpkin Boy born via c/s 10/09
Love Bug Boy VBAC 2/11
Lady Bug VBAC 2/13

Proud wife to Dh since 12/06

Happily co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing and homeschooling. gf/df/soy/nut free

enFj
dakotablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cake Decorating starter kit?

If you're just doing pretty basic stuff, then all you really need is one of each kind of tip. I would recommend getting metal tips, just because that's what *aaaaaalll* the good decorating kits have in them, so I kind of think the plastic ones are the cheaping-out version. And buying tips separately, they only cost, what, $2.50? It's not exactly expensive.

Wilton is the evil empire of cake decorating. They make *everything*. There are other brands, but Wilton is easy to find and quite reputable, so if you see that, it's probably okay. And Walmart carries it, so it's easy to find. If you have a Michaels in your area, you can pick something up on 40% off. I don't know if Joann's does coupons like that or not.

If it's some random no-name thing at the grocery store, I'd skip it, personally. It's a fine line between not getting expensive stuff because you don't really need it, and finding stuff that's so cheap that it's hard to use and puts you off.

Something like this would get you started off quite creditably.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/pro...D011F830AD0257

And of course if you have a michaels, a joanns, or even a walmart near you, you can probably add separate tips and icing colours as needed. For storing it, I eventually got one of the toolboxes they sell, but I was taking classes in it, too. For home use, just get a small cardboard box or something to keep your tips and icing colours together in.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Wilton's kit. My cousin took their classes and got me a set. We have a super old set, too, but I don't know what kind they are. Basically, an old-fashioned version of this. I like ours better.

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I should add, I find the tip couplers very useful, so I'd make sure that whatever you got has them.

Basically, what it means is that if you want to do little stars and writing (for instance) with the same colour icing, you don't have to fill two separate bags, you can just unscrew one tip and screw on the other.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
JellyBean
Rose Garden

JellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond reputeJellyBean has a reputation beyond repute

I got the huge caddy tool kit from Michaels that is $100 and used a 50% off coupon. THey almost always have 40 or 50% off every sunday on one item. I think them have a smaller toolbox kit for 50 which would be $25. They really have everything you need!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

If you just want the basics, I think you should get a cloth icing bag, coupler, and two tips: a star and small circle for lines. My next favourite tip is for making a shell border. If you prefer to have less clean-up you can buy plastic bags, but the fabric bags are easy to clean and will ensure that you have it around when you need it. Having more than one bag/coupler will ensure that you have the colours accessable for finishing touches.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
If you just want the basics, I think you should get a cloth icing bag, coupler, and two tips: a star and small circle for lines. My next favourite tip is for making a shell border. If you prefer to have less clean-up you can buy plastic bags, but the fabric bags are easy to clean and will ensure that you have it around when you need it. Having more than one bag/coupler will ensure that you have the colours accessable for finishing touches.
This. I have a friend who bakes cakes professionally now, and I think she started out using the Wilton method
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
dakotablue
Rose Trellis

dakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much!
I think I'll head over to ACMoore this weekend.

Its funny I've been so in shopping online mode I forgot that I could go to Acmoore, Micheals for cheaper. Most everything else I buy I can't buy locally. I appreciate the reminder.

So excited to plan DS2's birthday cake, I think I'll have to send some trials into work with dh

Pumpkin Boy born via c/s 10/09
Love Bug Boy VBAC 2/11
Lady Bug VBAC 2/13

Proud wife to Dh since 12/06

Happily co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing and homeschooling. gf/df/soy/nut free

enFj
dakotablue is offline   Reply With Quote