Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Psyche
Rose Garden

Srsly?

Psyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond reputePsyche has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm an eggs fried in butter failure

Every time I try it, the eggs stick to the pan. The butter ends up on top of the eggs.

I melt the butter and put the eggs in. The pan isn't super hot when I do that. Does it need to be really hot like almost browning the butter hot? Or am I just doomed to eggs with cooking spray

working full time, wife to Jason since '02, mom to C 12 years old, J 9 years old , and T 6 years old , mouse catching, Izzy, and rabbit chasing, Ellie.
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm an eggs fried in butter failure

mostly subbing. I pour in coconut oil first, but it often slides right up over the eggs too. Hoping someone reveals the answer.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyche View Post

Every time I try it, the eggs stick to the pan. The butter ends up on top of the eggs.

I melt the butter and put the eggs in. The pan isn't super hot when I do that. Does it need to be really hot like almost browning the butter hot? Or am I just doomed to eggs with cooking spray
It needs to be really hot, like browning the butter. I cook mine on medium high to high. They cook quickly and never stick, but you have to have a hot pan. However if you are using a non stick pan, don't use high heat. Putting eggs in a pan that is to cold, or still heating, guarantees sticking. Heat the pan, add the butter after the pan is hot, add the eggs.
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Can'tTurnLeft For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (04-21-2012), jewelmcjem (04-21-2012), MomtoJGJ (04-21-2012), Psyche (04-21-2012), Rabbit (04-21-2012), racheepoo (04-21-2012), TuneMyHeart (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Saphirah
Deactivated

Saphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond reputeSaphirah has a reputation beyond repute

Me too! I have oil covered stuck to the pan eggs, and I hate it.
Saphirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

cast iron skillets are the very best for cooking eggs imo. high heat, lots of butter to the browned point but not burned, cook eggs very quickly.
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (04-21-2012), mamaeffie (04-21-2012), MomtoJGJ (04-21-2012), Psyche (04-21-2012), ReedleBeetle (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
StumblinMama
Deactivated

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Ps 13:12 NLT

StumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond reputeStumblinMama has a reputation beyond repute

Hot pan+cold oil (or butter)= food won't stick. Get a good seasoned cast iron pan, and never use soap on it.
StumblinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StumblinMama For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (04-21-2012), Psyche (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

You might be using too much butter- it doesn't take much.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Ajani (04-23-2012), Psyche (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

too much butter is not a phrase in my lexicon
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to racheepoo For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (04-21-2012), Chaos Coordinator (04-21-2012), jewelmcjem (04-21-2012), Lily (04-21-2012), MaiMama (04-21-2012), Marzipan (04-21-2012), MomtoJGJ (04-21-2012), Niphredil (04-21-2012), Psyche (04-21-2012), Rabbit (04-21-2012), ReedleBeetle (04-21-2012), Saphirah (04-21-2012), StumblinMama (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Domina
Rose Garden

Domina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond reputeDomina has a reputation beyond repute

I use medium high to high heat (it's a 7 on my junky electric stove), melt the butter till it's almost browning, then put the eggs in. They cook quickly (especially if I break the yolks) and don't stick.

Beaming mama to Sumo since 2010.
Addicted to , curry and my Kindle.

Martyrs make lousy lovers and party guests. ~ Michael Flocker
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Domina For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree on the iron skillet, lots of butter, and at least medium heat (I have a new stove with power burners, so I don't usually cook anything over medium, and cook on low the most ). Heat the skillet well before adding the eggs. Like Racheepoo....there is no such thing as "too much butter". We just cut it and eat it here, like a slice of cheese.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-21-2012), racheepoo (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

dh just did that this morning... he didn't wait till the pan was hot and the eggs stuck.

If you drip a bit of egg in the pan and it IMMEDIATELY is cooked, then the pan is hot enough. If it stays clear for any length of time, it's not hot enough.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Ajani (04-23-2012), Psyche (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

yes the pan has to be hot...or it sticks..

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
Psyche (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I find I have the best results in my stainless pan with using less butter, lower heat, and stiring constantly. That is for scrambled though.