Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just finished making 188 magnetic tiles :phew

As part of my prep for doing the Lindamood Phonemic Sequencing Program (LiPS) on the (relatively) cheap.

Colored tiles (36), letter symbol tiles (62), and two sets of Dekodiphukan sound picture tiles (90), just because I think they are so awesome . If you count the All About Spelling phonogram tiles that I made two years ago and the mouth picture magnets that I bought (after my attempts to make them proved to be more trouble than it was worth), I have about 300 magnets , arranged on *seven* cookie sheets (because I learned from experience that storing them on the magnetic whiteboard leads to them falling off whenever the whiteboard gets knocked over , a thing which happens more than you might think ). (And technically, I have another 60-80 or so syllable tiles to go , but I won't need them for a while, so I'm going to do that later .)

I am basking in my accomplishment for a bit , before moving on to the next cutting-intensive crazy plan - finishing cutting out my Dekodiphukan sound picture stickers, so the kids can "write" with them. (The original program used rubber stamps, but I thought of printing the sound pictures out on address labels to make stickers instead. And it worked perfectly on the first attempt , which was just *awesome* . You can print a *lot* of stickers for the cost of 44 custom stamps , especially at 90 pictures per page - one thing of address labels makes 900 stickers .)

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (04-28-2014), Llee (04-28-2014), Quiteria (08-19-2014), Tasmanian Saint (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just finished making 188 magnetic tiles :phew

If you have an iPad, dekodiphukan has an app that simulates the stamps so they can write stories there too. I like the idea of the stickers!
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
forty-two
Rose Garden

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
If you have an iPad, dekodiphukan has an app that simulates the stamps so they can write stories there too. I like the idea of the stickers!
The Dekoduphukan apps are *awesome* - it makes it so dang convenient and cheap (if you already have the iPad ) - everything we've done has been on the iPad so far. But we don't always have the iPad during the day (it's dh's and he takes it to work), plus I'm kinda old school - I think there's something to the whole sensory experience of literally having one's hands on things, to turn over and manipulate and such . But I'm prioritizing, because printing out all the stuff would be crazy expensive and time-consuming, and it's already *there* on the iPad, for free.

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

How could you post something like this without posting pictures for us to oogle!

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Codi (08-21-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
forty-two
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
How could you post something like this without posting pictures for us to oogle!

Here's my tile collection :

Top row: AAS phonograms (yes, some are missing ), LiPS letter symbols, AAS phonograms
Middle row: Mouth pictures (only ones I didn't make), Dekodiphukan sound pictures, Colored tiles (for LiPS)
Bottom row: more Dekodiphukan sound pictures

Fortunately the cookie sheets all stack very nicely for storage purposes . And, yes, some of the cookie sheets were be-stickered by the dc . Most of these cookie sheets began life as trays for traveling in the car (for which purpose they are *awesome*, btw ), but spent their non-car life getting banged around the house . (The ones the AAS phonograms are on are the first set of trays, and are so very much not flat anymore .)

And here's my WIP Dekodiphukan sticker project:

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Last edited by forty-two; 04-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
LeoCross (05-05-2014), OrangeHope (08-21-2014), Tasmanian Saint (04-28-2014), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

That is super super impressive!
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
forty-two (04-28-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
tnaallen
Rose Garden

tnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant future

Bringing this thread back u p to ask you a couple things.

I was reading through another dyslexia thread, that you were on, and saw that Lips was used and liked by others on here. We recently had dd tested and Lips was suggested for her. I googled it and it's crazy expensive. Can you tell me what you bought and what, maybe, you did yourself? Can I get by with just buying their manual, or is the whole kit necessary?

I was thinking of doing Lips, then moving into AAR. What is the advantage of doing AAS vs. AAR?
tnaallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
forty-two
Rose Garden

Real quick response: I bought an older edition of the manual used on Amazon (I just looked and you can get it for around $60 with shipping, which is better than the $91 with shipping I paid and is almost the best I ever see it ), and I also bought one set of lip picture tiles (a little under $30 with shipping). I made everything else, as this thread relates .

Bbl with linkies and more info.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Here's a linky to the used listings for the manual I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used - it has masters for just about everything you need to have, and I made everything but the lip pictures from them.

Here's a linky to the lip pictures I got: http://www.ganderpublishing.com/LiPS...set-of-15.html - some people have made them from copying the ones in the manual, but my copier just wasn't good enough .

It wasn't that expensive for me to make the tiles, because I'd made the AAS tiles a few years ago and had all the materials still. (Making one set of AAS tiles instead of buying them can be a wash, financially, because the cost of buying all the supplies to make them was almost as much as just buying a set. But on the plus side, you could make *lots* of sets for that price.) Here's what I needed:
*access to a b/w copier
*access to a laminator (not strictly necessary, and cheap laminators are just $15-$20, less on sale - it does make for nicer tiles, though, and more lasting)
*cardstock - I used colored cardstock for the AAS tiles, but white is fine for the LiPS tiles (I did use the AAS colors for distinguishing between vowels and consonants, but that was my addition)
*laminating sheets
*magnetic tape - I had a roll of thirty feet by one inch, and it has sufficed for all the tiles - just cut off bits to stick to all the tiles
*cookie sheets (to store the tiles on - I got the cheap ones that aren't non-stick)

I think I spent $20 or so buying the cardstock and magnetic tape and laminating sheets.

Also, quick note re: AAR/AAS. LiPS is actually a complete reading program (and also does a considerable amount of spelling). Even though Barton just has you do a bit of the program, just enough to have the necessary skills to start Barton (because they recommend using a LiPS tutor and that is all kinds of pricey), the program itself is much more extensive. So you would not have to move into AAR unless you hated teaching LiPS (it's got quite a learning curve, I admit, but once you get the basic idea, which you need to teach any of it, teaching all the program doesn't look much harder than teaching some ). (And if you wanted to move into AAS for more spelling, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to start at the beginning.)

bbl

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
tnaallen
Rose Garden

tnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant future

I know the program name makes this an obvious answer, but are the lip pictures necessary? I haven't seen the program, but why can't you just show them with your own mouth?

I think I'm narrowing some things down here. Since dd is 8 I wanted something that will incorporate writing and spelling too, after an initial program of Lips, Reading Reflex, or AAR. Since you are a curriculum junkie ( ), tell me what you think of the best starter program from #1, and the best follow up from #2:

1) Lips, Reading Reflex, AAR, LOE
2) LOE, AAS, SWR,

Seriously, I will NOT hold you responsible if I end up not liking the curric. I'm so at a breaking point and need someone to really hold my hand through nailing it down. Care to be that person? My biggest hang up is that I'm had both AAS and SWR in the past, but it was years ago and I gave up on them pretty quick due to all the pieces and parent prep. At the time I had no pressing need for something intensive so I chucked them for something simple. Now having dd who really needs something intensive and multisensory, I'm more than willing to give them another shot. I just haven't had my hands on the others to give a good comparison, and online doesn't give many samples. I know any of those will be good, or at least good enough for now. I'm just too indecisive.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
forty-two
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaallen View Post
I know the program name makes this an obvious answer, but are the lip pictures necessary? I haven't seen the program, but why can't you just show them with your own mouth?
Yes, the pictures are necessary, because there's a lot of tracking and labeling activities where the student is selecting and arranging the lip pictures. There are black and white masters of the pictures in the guide, though - people have had success copying them (often coloring the lips and tongue on the copy for clarity). But I just could not get a clear enough copy on my machine at home, and after several attempts I decided it was worth the $30 to not have the aggravation anymore (at one point I even tried taking pictures of my own mouth - the amount of photoshopping it would have took to make it clear... - that would have been a time sink indeed). But while the pictures are necessary, buying them isn't - making them is an option .

Quote:
I think I'm narrowing some things down here. Since dd is 8 I wanted something that will incorporate writing and spelling too, after an initial program of Lips, Reading Reflex, or AAR. Since you are a curriculum junkie ( ), tell me what you think of the best starter program from #1, and the best follow up from #2:

1) Lips, Reading Reflex, AAR, LOE
2) LOE, AAS, SWR,

Seriously, I will NOT hold you responsible if I end up not liking the curric. I'm so at a breaking point and need someone to really hold my hand through nailing it down. Care to be that person? My biggest hang up is that I'm had both AAS and SWR in the past, but it was years ago and I gave up on them pretty quick due to all the pieces and parent prep. At the time I had no pressing need for something intensive so I chucked them for something simple. Now having dd who really needs something intensive and multisensory, I'm more than willing to give them another shot. I just haven't had my hands on the others to give a good comparison, and online doesn't give many samples. I know any of those will be good, or at least good enough for now. I'm just too indecisive.
Random thoughts: for #1 I would start with either LiPS or Reading Reflex. My personal preference is for LiPS, because I have thought it was completely awesome for years, long before I realized we needed it. The way it teaches how to *feel* how your mouth make each sound in addition to hearing the sound is unique, and imo extremely valuable.

Sometimes people who have problems distinguishing sounds manage to "work backwards" from print once they learn to read - by seeing the differences in how words are represented visually, they become aware that there are corresponding differences in how the words are supposed to sound, and they can use the print cues to supplement the auditory cues, and to some extent become more aware of auditory differences, since now they know that differences exist. And wrt teaching people with phonological weaknesses, a lot of the multi-sensory aspects - moving tiles and such - serve the same purpose. They can't manipulate sounds alone, but tying the auditory input to visual and kinesthetic input gives them a hook they *can* process.

Reading Reflex does this with letter tiles, but LiPS goes back further and uses colored tiles first (same color for same sounds; different colors for different sounds). Also, LiPS ties visual input and auditory input to the kinesthetic input of what your lips and tongue and mouth do to *produce* those sounds. It's not just the arbitrary motions of manipulating tiles to illustrate manipulating sounds, but it's the genuine connection between moving your mouth like *this* to produce a sound like *this*. It provides a whole nother avenue to aid not just in distinguishing sounds but in producing them, too.

I don't have much of an opinion on #2, other than AAS and LOE are far more open and go (wrt the teacher not having to learn the method) than is SWR. There is some talk on the Well Trained Mind boards about whether LOE Essentials goes too fast for dyslexics, but that may matter less having done LiPS.

I learned a fair bit about LiPS from reading threads about it on the Well-Trained Mind boards - will try to come back and post a link. And I came up with a big picture overview of how LiPS works - will try to come back and write that up (as my notes are handwritten, not already typed - no easy cut and paste ).

Also, would it help to brainstorm ways to make the tons o' pieces aspect of LiPS et. al. more manageable? (I'm definitely finding the cookie sheet storage method to be a big help .)

Hopefully this makes sense - I was writing on and off through the morning, with many, many interruptions .

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Wrt seeing them in person: Reading Reflex can often be found at the library, and so can WRTR (I know you eliminated that one, but I am just mentioning it because it's one of the most likely to be found in the library, and it does pretty much the same thing as SWR). Also, if you wanted to hang around in a bookstore, both of those would likely be at a Barnes and Noble or some such, and you could flip through them for a bit in the store.

Bbl with more LiPS info.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Here's a link to a google search for LiPS threads on the Well-Trained Mind boards: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...&client=safari

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

If you want another option for #2 that is a completely different approach (as AAS/LoE/SWR are all the same basic approach):

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-23-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
forty-two
Rose Garden

Quick (ish) summary of LiPS (aka the Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech), from my notes:

Part 1: Setting the Climate for Learning: This is a short step, but important - is basically explaining the point of the program to the student. Focus is on teaching the students to be able to distinguish sounds for themselves, instead of having to rely on the teacher to tell them if they are right or wrong.

Part 2: Identifying and Classifying Speech Sounds: This is one of the unique foundations for LiPS. Instead of sounds being taught as a series of unrelated units, the LiPS program makes the underlying structure of the English sound system apparent as the students categorize the sounds on the basis of similarities and differences in the place and manner in which they are produced. This provides tool students can use later in identifying and tracking speech sounds in syllables.

Each sound has distinct characteristics that differentiate it from other speech sounds, and these characteristics can be heard, seen, and felt as the sound is produced, for a multi sensory experience with the sounds. In this level of the program, students learn to use information from the eye, ear, and mouth to identify, classify, and label individual consonant vowel sounds, and to associate the sound they hear themselves say, the appearance of the mouth action when the sound is made, and the physical sensation of making the sound.

There's a big emphasis on distinguishing via comparison - first you start the sounds that are the most different from each other, and learn to feel the differences, and then you learn to make smaller and smaller distinctions. The mouth pictures are used extensively here.

Part 3: Tracking Speech Sounds: The ability to track sounds in sequences and conceptualize them visually is a critical factor in reading and spelling. In spelling (encoding), sequences of sounds are translated into sequences of letters; in reading (decoding), sequences of letters are translated into sequences of sounds. Either task involves two important skills: tracking sounds in sequences, and associating sounds and symbols with those sequences. The LiPS program develops these two skills separately before asking the student to combine them in spelling and reading tasks.

The LiPS program offers two unique and important features here:
1) A progression of smaller steps than is ordinarily given in beginning reading programs, and
2) experiences with tracking and representing sequences of sounds with *concrete objects* (mouth pictures and colored tiles) *before* the student is asked to associate and represent with sequences of letters symbols in spelling and reading.

The tracking sequences starts with tracking sounds in single, simple syllables (VC, CV, CVC) and then moves to tracking sounds in single complex syllables (CCV, VCC, CCVC, CVCC, CCVCC) and simple multisyllables. From there it moves to tracking sounds in complex multisyllables.

Here's how it works:
You start by saying a syllable - /at/, for example - and the student models it with mouth pictures or colored tiles (same color for same sounds, different colors for different sounds). In this case, let's use a blue tile for /a/ and a red tile for /t/.

Then you change just *one* sound and the student changes the tiles to match what they heard. There are five types of changes:
*adding a sound
*omitting a sound
*substituting one sound for a new one
*shifting a sound to a new place
*repeating a sound
And with each change, the student shows the change they heard with the tiles.

The manual has lots of these sequences already done - you just move through them one by one - and it has lots of teaching suggestions and sample scripts.

Part 4: Associating Sounds and Symbols: the other half of the reading/spelling task. You can teach them in part 2 or wait and teach them here, just before moving to spelling activities. Spelling and reading overlap with tracking - as soon as you've mastered tracking single simple syllables, you add in spelling single simple syllables as you also move on to tracking simple multisyllables and complex single syllables.

Part 5: Spelling (encoding) and Reading (decoding): Spelling and Reading follow the same progression as Tracking: start with simple one syllable words (pseudo and real) and then move to complex one syllable words and simple multisyllable words, and then move to complex multisyllable words.

Spelling starts with using letter tiles to build words, and later moves to writing the words; Reading likewise starts with the teacher building words (real and pseudo) from letter tiles before moving to reading print. Both use the same sort of "change one sound" sequences as tracking does. And you overlap spelling and reading in the same way you overlap tracking and spelling - as you master spelling simple one syllable words, you move to reading simple one syllable words as you also move on to spelling complex one syllable words and simple multisyllable words.

Spelling emphasizes consciously integrating the sound-symbol cues previously established. For example, consciously considering whether you can spell the Lip Popper /p/ using 't' - does that match? The focus is on consciously using sensory feedback to check whether what they *see* matches what they *hear* and *feel*.

When reading for meaning, if a word doesn't make sense in context, it's a sign to go back and check your decoding.

Error handling focuses on asking questions that help the student *discover* their error, instead of the teacher just telling the student the right answer.

And here endeth my notes (which include a fair bit of cribbing from the manual in places ).

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

In case it is useful, here's my list of things to be copied and laminated and have magnets added to:

Things to copy out of the LiPS manual (I actually scanned them and cropped the edges and then printed all of them on white cardstock and then laminated them):

*Mouth pictures (1 page)
*consonant symbols and vowel symbols (1 page each)
*bingo cards (optional-ish, 3 pages)
*vowel mat (1 page)
*tracking mat (1 page)
*sets of simple syllables and words for reading (6 pages)
*sets of complex syllables and words for reading (3 pages)
*syllable cards (3 pages, and it's possible/probable that making more cards with other syllables you come up with would be good/necessary - I haven't read that chapter closely yet)
*grid endings (2 pages)

Additional things to make:
*colored tiles: 24, in four groups of six colors, and an additional nine more, each in a different color (and different from the six colors in the first set). I made squares and colored them in with sharpies on the edges of the other pages (the ones where stuff was getting cut out)
*little line drawings of an ear and a nose (or pictures), on small squares (maybe 2 or 3 each?)

Things to be cut out:
Basically everything *but* the vowel mat and the tracking mat

Things to have magnets added:
*consonant and vowel symbols
*colored tiles
*ear/nose pictures

Eta: other thing to have - magnetic whiteboard. It actually calls for a custom magnetic trifold whiteboard (which can only be bought from them, as far as I can tell), but I'm making a go with 15"x15" square boards (with a 2'x3' board in reserve).

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Last edited by forty-two; 08-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-21-2014), tnaallen (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
OrangeHope
Rose Bouquet

OrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud ofOrangeHope has much to be proud of

Awesome work! Very inspiring
And baby girl arriving March 2016
OrangeHope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrangeHope For This Useful Post:
forty-two (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
tnaallen
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post

If you want another option for #2 that is a completely different approach (as AAS/LoE/SWR are all the same basic approach):

You HAD to go and put another one in the mix! Have you taken a look at it yourself? I took a short glance and... I like it! ugh!!!!! I was JUST sitting down to finalize my decisions and just go for LiPS and AAS. but noooooooowwwww. I think I like it because it includes writing, but by explaining to the student where to start, and to say the sound as they write. Plus, looking for the letter based on the letter sound I make. hmmmm
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
forty-two
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaallen View Post
You HAD to go and put another one in the mix! Have you taken a look at it yourself? I took a short glance and... I like it! ugh!!!!! I was JUST sitting down to finalize my decisions and just go for LiPS and AAS. but noooooooowwwww. I think I like it because it includes writing, but by explaining to the student where to start, and to say the sound as they write. Plus, looking for the letter based on the letter sound I make. hmmmm
Sorry . (I *did* spoiler it .) I've looked at it in the past (I.e. before I realized dd8 had difficulties that weren't going away), but I mostly know it by reputation. It has a lot of practice, which is good for dyslexics, and the pattern-based approach is good for kids who don't learn well from rule-based approaches.

It could be a backup plan, if AAS doesn't work .

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'

Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
tnaallen
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post
Sorry . (I *did* spoiler it .) I've looked at it in the past (I.e. before I realized dd8 had difficulties that weren't going away), but I mostly know it by reputation. It has a lot of practice, which is good for dyslexics, and the pattern-based approach is good for kids who don't learn well from rule-based approaches.

It could be a backup plan, if AAS doesn't work .
It seems more workbook based without a tone of manipulatives, like AAS. Since I've decided to go with Lips, I'm hesitating on AAS because BOTH of those have so much to cut out and keep track of. Is that a terrible reason to not want to use it? I can't quite figure out A&P though. Are you suppose to start with Daning Bears, or are all the Bear books for reading, and A&P is for Spelling?

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

ok, ok. Got off the sidetrack. After looking it over more, I'm not liking it so much. I think I'll go back to a LiPS/AAS combo.

I need to get spelling for dd1 too, so I figured I could do AAS2 with her and then I'll already have it for dd2 (and ds). I should know by now not to get ahead of myself. Things change from year to year. lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnaallen For This Useful Post:
forty-two (08-23-2014), Quiteria (08-23-2014)