Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pink Eye

I think my 3 year old has pink eye. I've heard it's going around here, and today he's got thick white discharge from one eye and it's reddish. He's also acting out, so perhaps it's bothering him. I have breastmilk frozen, how often and how long should I use that? He's very opposed to the idea, so I want to fight him as little as possible but also I want to clear whatever this is up. I've never dealt with pink eye before, so I'm not even sure that's what this is. How can I tell?

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
momma2girls
Rose Bouquet

momma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pink Eye

Pink eye stinks!!!!!!! I just had my third kid in a row get it.

No help on the breastmilk though.

Momma to three fabulous girls
11 yrs 9 yrs and 7 yrs
And Momma to my boy
Baby T 4yrs!

Miss K 3 weeks

Pls excuse the typos since I typically post from my phone.
momma2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to momma2girls For This Useful Post:
marbles (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
Pink eye stinks!!!!!!! I just had my third kid in a row get it.

No help on the breastmilk though.
I've heard people talk about how much they try to contain it because they hate it, what makes pink eye so bad? Is it painful? Hard to get rid of?

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 06-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
momma2girls
Rose Bouquet

momma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud ofmomma2girls has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbles View Post
I've heard people talk about how much they try to contain it because they hate it, what makes pink eye so bad? Is it painful? Hard to get rid of?
Not painful but depending on how bad it is it can make them really irritated at life in general. My girls were having a hard time seeing and drainaige was running down their cheek so they were grumpy. I am finding it a pain in the butt to get rid off. 2.5 weeks since the first got it and my youngest finally seems to have gotten over it.

So stuff that I have been doing that has helped since they only got it in one eye instead of both. Lots of kids end up spreading it to their other eye.
I have been on them not to touch their face. If it was draining I cleaned it up.
Wash hands a lot!
I washed pillow cases and sheets every day.
Take all towels out of the bathroom and use paper towels to dry hands. If you can't do this use a hand towel once and then put it in the wash.
I never disinfect toys but I have started cause I want it gone.

11 yrs 9 yrs and 7 yrs
And Momma to my boy
Baby T 4yrs!

Miss K 3 weeks

Last edited by momma2girls; 06-13-2015 at 12:47 PM.
marbles (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

it is super contagious!! i would do a few drops in the corner of his eye a few times a day. you can have him do it with his eye closed, then put the drop in the corner and just have him slowly open his eye.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
marbles (06-13-2015), OnAMission (06-14-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
Not painful but depending on how bad it is it can make them really irritated at life in general. My girls were having a hard time seeing and drainaige was running down their cheek so they were grumpy. I am finding it a pain in the butt to get rid off. 2.5 weeks since the first got it and my youngest finally seems to have gotten over it.

So stuff that I have been doing that has helped since they only got it in one eye instead of both. Lots of kids end up spreading it to their other eye.
I have been on them not to touch their face. If it was draining I cleaned it up.
Wash hands a lot!
I washed pillow cases and sheets every day.
Take all towels out of the bathroom and use paper towels to dry hands. If you can't do this use a hand towel once and then put it in the wash.
I never disinfect toys but I have started cause I want it gone.
Very helpful! Does it just run its course, or do you have to treat iron order for it to go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
it is super contagious!! i would do a few drops in the corner of his eye a few times a day. you can have him do it with his eye closed, then put the drop in the corner and just have him slowly open his eye.
That is very helpful! I tried that and he thought it was no big deal, thank you. How long should I try the breast milk before trying something stronger?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Oh and containment. Should he bathe separately? I know he should skip his class at church, what about going in general? Extended family gatherings?

and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Old 06-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
momma2girls
Rose Bouquet

Quote:
Very helpful! Does it just run its course, or do you have to treat iron order for it to go away?

That is very helpful! I tried that and he thought it was no big deal, thank you. How long should I try the breast milk before trying something stronger?

On whether it run its course or needs attention it depends. Ours need antibiotic ointment to clear up. It was bacterial which I don't believe is the norm. When I talk to my mom tomorrow I can ask how long to try and let it go before being seen. (She's a pediatric nurse)
---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Oh and containment. Should he bathe separately? I know he should skip his class at church, what about going in general? Extended family gatherings?
I would bathe him seperatly, but that's my preference. It is super contagious. Whether you take him around family is up to you. I wouldn't unless there is no more redness or drainaige or he's been on some type of ointment of drop for 24 hours. I am super hands off with drops and such but ours wouldn't clear up without it.

11 yrs 9 yrs and 7 yrs
And Momma to my boy
Baby T 4yrs!

Miss K 3 weeks

Last edited by momma2girls; 06-13-2015 at 05:39 PM.
marbles (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We did breastmilk drops a couple times a day and saw significant improvement within 24 hours. I would think it should get better within a day or two if breastmilk alone will do it. Apparently the other drops can really sting, so I was glad to start with breastmilk that doesn't

For us, we didn't want to risk infecting anyone else, so we just stayed home until it was really clearly better. I also put drops in the other kids' eyes a few times just for prevention because it is so contagious and washed all the sheets, and especially pillow cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
marbles (06-14-2015)