Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 AM   #31
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just for fun: list the unhealthy processed foods you grew up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
And Spaghettios, but I always hated those.
My mom never made those, but we had them around as something I could make myself. <<shudders>>
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #32
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly my own buying/cooking habits aren't much better than my mom's. She was on Weight Watchers in my most formative years so there weren't a ton of "treats" in the house. However, what was considered "healthy" in 1988 isn't the same as now. She also gardened/canned a lot so I had pretty good exposure to fresh veggies. Her Weight Watchers stint is what convinced me to never go for diet soda, she lost a ton of weight to start, but ended up much heavier than she started later.

So, breakfast was usually a generic cheerios or rice crispies with a spoonful of sugar, frozen waffles or cinnamon toast, occasionally those muffins you can buy the small bag mixes for. Lunch was a thermos of milk, a pb and honey sandwich on wheat (not whole wheat), a bag of chips and a fruit. Sometimes we would get a dessert in our lunch box like a Little Debbie Cake or a pudding pack.

Super was almost always some sort of ground beef/one skillet type of meal. Now that I'm a mom I totally get it, our kitchen had no room for food prep so it was easy to dump everything in one pan/skillet and babysit it there. So, there was A LOT of hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc...She did have one horrifically awful meal (that tasted pretty good ) it was frozen french fries, canned ham, and velveeta mixed together in a casserole. She had no delusions of it being healthy, but it was a fall back for when there was no money (it cost less than $2 for a large casserole).
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:
Lady TS (06-08-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #33
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
Nobody's mentioned Chef Boyardee! Beeferoni and ravioli.
And Spaghettios, but I always hated those.
Spagettios might have been my first table food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
What about the hot dogs with cheez inside?
I remember loving those and hating them at the same time. They always made me feel a little queasy but I kept eating them anyway.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #34
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

(Canadian here though)

....... hot dogs
Kool aid on Saturdays only
yogurt
Candy at halloween
Canned ham (click)

That's all really
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #35
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

Crescent rolls with hot dogs and American cheese.
Devil Dogs
Fun fruits. I took grape ones to church since I was too young for communion.

Boxed mac and cheese with extra cheese mixed in

Salisbury steak or lasagna family packs made dinner for a week
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #36
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Mazola margarine.
Beef hash in a can.
Bouillon cubes.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #37
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Boxed Mac and cheese - store brands oh how i miss it.

We had little money for good so there wasn't much junk around, when I was little at least. Not cereal if sugar(in any form) was one of the first three ingredients. My mom only bought whole chickens and cut them up to make one last for 3 or 4 meals.
Bread came from the second day bread store, what ever we could find when I was little.

By the time my brother was in school and I was in highschool we had a but more money, so bread was whole wheat from the groshry store. Things like gold fish crackers were not there at all when I was lotto but my the time my brother was in highschool he could eat them by the bagful.

We are dairy and gluten free ( I think wiggle worm needs to be processed soy free) the only thing I miss for on growing up us boxed Mac and cheese.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #38
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Jello Pudding Pops. They stopped making those or I would still buy them!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
hollybells (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #39
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Make your own.....I'm thinking of doing this soon....

Chocolate butterscotch....
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerberadaisy For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (05-31-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #40
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Bisquick, cream-of-whatever soup casseroles
Fish sticks
Crunchy chow mein noodles - I'm still mystified by this. Why would you make a yummy and healthy stir-fry but then serve it over those?
Jiffy muffin mixes, frozen toaster waffles, once a week pop tarts (but often the unfrosted ones - fwiw)
Cheap lunch meat
A big box of saltine type crackers was often our only snack food

But my mom did use lots of fresh or frozen veggies, never canned except for tomatoes. And she didn't buy sugary cereals and rarely 'junk food' like chips or cookies, especially when I was younger and we were poor.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #41
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleldil's daughter View Post
Bisquick, cream-of-whatever soup casseroles
Fish sticks
Crunchy chow mein noodles - I'm still mystified by this. Why would you make a yummy and healthy stir-fry but then serve it over those?
Jiffy muffin mixes, frozen toaster waffles, once a week pop tarts (but often the unfrosted ones - fwiw)
Cheap lunch meat
A big box of saltine type crackers was often our only snack food

But my mom did use lots of fresh or frozen veggies, never canned except for tomatoes. And she didn't buy sugary cereals and rarely 'junk food' like chips or cookies, especially when I was younger and we were poor.
because you didn't make a yummy stir fry, you bought a big blue can of chow mein to dump over them

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Maleldil's daughter (05-29-2015), twoplustwo (06-01-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #42
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
because you didn't make a yummy stir fry, you bought a big blue can of chow mein to dump over them
My mom made her own though... beef with lots of veggies... why in the world would we not eat it with rice? It's a mystery.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #43
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I discovered these about a week ago. They are similar to pudding pops. https://www.nestle-goodfoodgoodlife....ocolate-banana
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #44
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleldil's daughter View Post
My mom made her own though... beef with lots of veggies... why in the world would we not eat it with rice? It's a mystery.
She used them instead of rice? I've always used a tiny amount of them (and there are some in my house even now ) as a crunchy topping for an already complete meal. So a big bag of them lasts us a year. I can't fathom using them instead of rice.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 AM   #45
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
THAT CAN. .
Sometimes I get a hankering for canned Chow Mein.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Lady TS:
houseforjoy (06-08-2015)