Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think my 9 yo has heat exhaustion

Girl Scout day camp today, the heat index was 104. They did all the right things: electrolyte drinks, water, shade, swimming most of the day. Still though I noticed she has a heat rash where her pack was rubbing she's have stomach and muscle cramps, headache, dizziness and fatigue. We have good AC it's only 72 ish in our house. I had her take a cool bath and she's in bed in front of the fan. Her body temp is normal. Google says get medical attention if not better in 15 minutes??? I don't want to neglect needed medical attention but 15 minutes is an awful quick recovery time and she's definitely not better yet (about an hour) WWYD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think my 9 yo has heat exhaustion

Is there a nurse line you can call?

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
Is there a nurse line you can call?

Oh yeah good thought, I forgot our new doctor has a nurse line. She said kind of what I thought that as long as her symptoms weren't worsening and she was resting somewhere cool and drinking fluids it was ok just to keep an eye on and not bring her in.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

If it were my child: this is what I would do....fluids including Gatorade or something similar, continue with cool temps, cool cloths to forehead, armpits ect., and if my child showed any signs of worsening or new symptoms.then I would take to the ER . if unable to take fluids, ER.
I would give it a bit of time, but err on the side of caution and if not improving over the course of the evening I would take to ER.
AngelaVA (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Even though you are doing all of the right things, she is probably going to feel like limp dishrag for the rest of today.

It is exhausting! Unless it worsens, I would just plan on a very quiet evening for her. I don't think that I would allow her to go tomorrow if the temperature is going to be the same as today.

If she takes something like Allegra or Claritin, she may be more sun sensitive. (Sine I take Allegra and hormones, I almost burn instantly and I start feeling heat exhaustion within just a few minutes out in the humidity.)

You might want to get her one of those scarves you place in ice water to inflate and keep her cool.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (06-23-2015), Johns_Gal (06-24-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Thanks, she is jumping around the living room playing with the dogs and ate a good dinner so I think all is well. Tomorrow is notably cooler thankfully.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
charla (06-23-2015), sweetpeasmommy (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

After having heat exhaustion several years ago, I had to be really careful when I went outside in hot temps for awhile because I would get really faint. She may not have the same experience as I did but maybe something to watch for in the next weeks. I'm so glad she is doing well.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (06-23-2015), Maedchen (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

We've definitely dealt with that around here! Both me and dd1. I had some weird symptoms, too, like half my body starting to go numb, so I called 911. They came and checked several things but didn't transport me- just told me to take it easy and follow up with my dr if things weren't better the next day.

I would at least consider keeping her home if tomorrow is camp as well- once you get it once it's easy to get it again.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (06-24-2015)