Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation HELP! I need a Lego Solution

Ds1 (5) is Lego Obsessed. He pretty much plays with Lego from the moment he wakes up until the very last minute he goes to sleep at night.

A little about our situation:

A little about our house:

The problem:

I need some sort of way to section off a specific Lego place.
I could make a corner of the living room, dining room or office work. The master bedroom won't work because DH often works all night long and sleeps in and Ds1 never stops talking. I also need to have a space where I can escape from everyone.

I'm mostly looking for some sort of storage solution or way to zone this I have no idea where to start. I could spend a little bit of money or creating a space for him, it would need to be a SMALL space. I need a way to have a visual boundary that he sees and can contain the lego mess inside. I am tempted to buy a s sandbox lol.

If you read this far, bless you! Please help!
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for ValiantJoy07:
FlyingBlueKiwi (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! I need a Lego Solution

You have every right to create boundaries! I like a washing machine tray for legos. They can easily be pushed under a bed when not in use. They are about $20 at Home Depot. Cutting down, temporarily, on the LEGO collection may help, too.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (10-11-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
amommy23
Rosebud

amommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really niceamommy23 is just really nice

Do you have space anywhere to set up one of those little play tents for him to use?
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/FoxPlay-Rocke...ay+tent&sr=8-4
amommy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
You have every right to create boundaries! I like a washing machine tray for legos. They can easily be pushed under a bed when not in use. They are about $20 at Home Depot. Cutting down, temporarily, on the LEGO collection may help, too.
Yup and that's why I made this post. we need to create a space so the boundaries can be enforced!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by amommy23 View Post
Do you have space anywhere to set up one of those little play tents for him to use?
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/FoxPlay-Rocke...ay+tent&sr=8-4
That's a great idea! I think this could work well. He need his own little place to be.
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Old 10-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

How does he normally play with them?
At a table or on the floor?
Does he set them out infront of him or sit in the middle of them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
How does he normally play with them?
At a table or on the floor?
Does he set them out infront of him or sit in the middle of them?

He's kind of in the middle but he also likes to build scenes. I'm leaning towards getting 2 more Trofast drawers and adding them to the unit that we have and re-purposing it for Lego use. Also looking at this thing it would give a boundary and make cleanup really easy but wouldn't allow him to show off his scenes.

I looked at tents but I don't think we have enough space for one anywhere. I was also thinking about it and while having a cozy space would appeal to him he also needs to be able to see the TV. He really likes to watch those Prime Video stop motion Lego shows on the TV and builds along with them (he pauses every blessed step while he digs to find a matching piece).
Old 10-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
He's kind of in the middle but he also likes to build scenes. I'm leaning towards getting 2 more Trofast drawers and adding them to the unit that we have and re-purposing it for Lego use. Also looking at this thing it would give a boundary and make cleanup really easy but wouldn't allow him to show off his scenes.

Yes that bucket - mat thing is very similar to what I was going to suggest if he likes to sit in the middle of them. There are some others that are more bag-like. I made a similar one for blocks when mine were little.

It sounds like you have a great plan to solve both the how to contain loose peices and him in process and the how to display the scenes for a while aftwards.

How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Best I can think of is two small book cases, one corner. The book cases face into the corner and create the third and fourth wall for his 'boy cave' as well as a place to store the legos ?

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

If it’s just for 3 months, move where everyone sleeps?

All 3 girls in master plus homeschool stuff.

Room for hubby. And you. hubby desk.

Room for Boys.

Playroom.

Or some other combo.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I was also going to suggest Target cube bookshelves to create a corner for him. You can have some cubes open for display and some cubes with boxes.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E9...SSB&th=1&psc=1
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar issue with my son's love of legos and the way they take over the house. I bought a long flat rectangular storage box and told him to build in that box. I gave him another smaller box for the legos he needs to get out of his way so that he has room to build without taking them out of the box. He does a decent job of keeping his creations in or right beside the box as long as I remind him. He's also good with putting them into the box after he builds them as long as no one takes them apart.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #13
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

Quote:

Room for Boys.

Playroom.

Or some other combo.
No I don't think so the boys need to be in with us and the other bedrooms wouldn't even fit our king sized beds, they are TINY. Ds1 has a full sized mattress so we can sleep with him (or ds2 can sleep with him) and it won't fit in any of the other bedrooms either. If the other bedrooms were just a tiny bit bigger it would definitely be a good idea to consider.

Quote:
Best I can think of is two small book cases, one corner. The book cases face into the corner and create the third and fourth wall for his 'boy cave' as well as a place to store the legos ?
That's a great idea! I do have 2 small book shelves that are kind of in random spots/not happy about where they are. I wonder if I could move his computer desk out of the office and rig up a Lego Corner for him.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Room for Boys.

Playroom.

Or some other combo.
No I don't think so the boys need to be in with us and the other bedrooms wouldn't even fit our king sized beds, they are TINY. Ds1 has a full sized mattress so we can sleep with him (or ds2 can sleep with him) and it won't fit in any of the other bedrooms either. If the other bedrooms were just a tiny bit bigger it would definitely be a good idea to consider.

Quote:
I was also going to suggest Target cube bookshelves to create a corner for him. You can have some cubes open for display and some cubes with boxes.
Quote:
That's a great idea! I do have 2 small book shelves that are kind of in random spots/not happy about where they are. I wonder if I could move his computer desk out of the office and rig up a Lego Corner for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-13-2020)