Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apples!

Anyone else have a lot of apples right now! What are you making? I mad apple bread, which was good but not the healthiest. Making crockpot apple oatmeal tomorrow for breakfast. Thinking about making crockpot applesauce, but I like leaving the skins on and we have a regular blender, nothing super high powered, to really puree it. Anyone else making anything good and maybe semi healthy?
Old 10-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apples!

I don't know if this is healthy enough for you, but we made this last week and it was really yummy.

One of our favorite ways to eat apples is to slice (leave skin on) and saute in a skillet in butter with some cinnamon. No need for extra sugar because they are usually sweet enough.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I always leave the skin in when making apple sauce and runnit.thoufg my food mill to pull out the seeds and skin.

I will add apples to pancakes or waffles for breakfast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I made this last year...Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal...it doesn't have as much sugar as real apple pie, and isn't as wet as regular oatmeal. I like to make larger batches (double into rectangular dish instead of 8x8), then cut into squares to freeze and store. You don't have to do that if you prefer a batch you can eat up, but I don't bake all that often, so I like to save some for days I don't feel that inspired.This was quick and delicious and hearty.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/apple-pie-baked-oatmeal/

Somewhere, I also found a version with peanut butter and apples.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #5
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

All the recipes look delicious! I don't have a food mill or anything like it, so I'm not sure if I can grind up the skins well enough. I've made it before, but I think I used to have a hand held food mill. No idea where it is anymore.
We love baked oatmeal- I'll have to try that recipe. Apple crisp is so yummy too and that recipe looks super good. I don't mind dessert recipes- just know that my family will eat them up very quickly and we don't particularly need that. Ha!
I forgot we also made apples and sausage in the crockpot, which was good.
I still have a lot in the fridge, so I need to start figuring out something to do with them in large quantities!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 AM   #6
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

NOT HEALTHY but super yummy dessert. My ds wanted to make something fun with his friend for a sleepover and he found a recipe where it's an apple crumble served in a hollowed out apple.

Basically flour, cinnamon, butter, oatmeal, probably some sugar and/or brown sugar, a pinch of salt and the insides of the cored out apples. They cooked it over the stove and then put the insides into cored out apples and baked. Then topped with ice cream and caramel drizzle. It was so good.

We also did a tin foil apple crumble kind of thing in the campfire last night. Basically just apple slices, a little sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar and then topped with granola afterwards. Ds made an apple stuffed with coconut shavings (like the kind you get in a bag) over the campfire and said it was really good.

We have made apple pies. What else. . .

on the healthier side we have done apple oatmeal, and dh makes a whole wheat pancake with apple and pecans.

We also like to eat apples with pb for dipping. Or wrapped in slices of cheddar for snacks.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We dehydrated over 40 pounds of apples leaving us only enough for eating we had planned to make apple sauce but changed our minds

So easy w a large dehydrator and a corer slicer. Takes about 30 min per batch for ds and I together. each batch was over 15 pounds.

We r discussing another trip to pick apples cuz my kids love them so much and want them to last longer than a few months. And we have a vacuum sealer.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
esperanza
Rose Garden

Dried apples is a great idea! If only we had a good dehydrator!
I think I am going to attempt applesauce with the immersion blender. I forgot about that as an option.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh we have a dehydrator. We need to use it for apples! We have dried some on the grill and that was yummy.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
Dried apples is a great idea! If only we had a good dehydrator!
I think I am going to attempt applesauce with the immersion blender. I forgot about that as an option.
If your oven has a “warm setting” 130-135 is ideal and some people do 150 w oven cracked for air flow. Our oven does but we have a HUGE dehydrator

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

Well, our oven made a pop, some smoke, and then an error code tonight. We think it may be a goner. Probably have to shop for a new one this week. I guess I should ask if it can dehydrate apples before buying a new one!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:14 AM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the right kind of apples, but I used to have a recipe for shepherd's pie that was a pie crust filled with diced Granny Smith apples, ground turkey, onions, salt, and I think diced sweet potatoes and a second crust. They were not sweetened beyond their natural flavor, fresh not canned. I think there may have been optional craisins, but I didn't use any. Anyhow, it was a good savory apple recipe.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote