Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Another reason to throw out your copy of Babywise"

http://www.examiner.com/breastfeedin...py-of-babywise

The article says there is some research linking demand feeding to higher IQ scores in the baby.

Quote:
A recent English study, published in the February 2012 issue of The European Journal of Public Health, concluded that babies who were fed on demand, verses an imposed schedule, scored 4-5 points higher in IQ at age 8. They also scored higher on standard academic tests throughout childhood. Interestingly, the same results were found for breastfed and formula fed babies. What mattered was not so much what they were fed, but whether or not it was scheduled or baby-led.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-27-2012), CelticJourney (03-27-2012), gentlemommy (03-27-2012), gentletitus2mama (04-01-2012), Happygrl (03-27-2012), inesperada (03-27-2012), Little Forest (03-27-2012), Maggirayne (03-29-2012), melliethepooh (03-26-2012), Mokek Kwe (03-26-2012), nessnco (03-26-2012), newday (04-09-2012), Singingmom (03-26-2012), SweetCaroline (03-27-2012), teamommy (03-26-2012), Zooey (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Another reason to throw out your copy of Babywise"

I think what you mean is scheduled feeding could result in a lower iq

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Allison (03-27-2012), BarefootBetsy (03-27-2012), Elyse221 (03-27-2012), Hermana Linda (03-30-2012), luvinmama (03-26-2012), Maggirayne (03-29-2012), melliethepooh (03-26-2012), PaperMomma (03-26-2012), saturnfire16 (03-26-2012), SweetCaroline (03-27-2012), Tasmanian Saint (03-28-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
luvinmama
Rose Garden

Taking one day at a time...

luvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond repute

ahh! another wonderful piece of information. thanks, kathy!

Married to my best friend '03

Love to and to DH

In case you're wondering...I'm an ENFJ

luvinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know you're teasing! But this gives me a good opening to point out something the article is careful also to point out. They don't know WHY demand fed babies have higher IQs in later childhood. All they know is the study showed a correlation, and that there are plenty of other solid reasons not to schedule feed babies; this is just another benefit of feeding on cue.

My mom formula fed me on a schedule and also smoked---and I'm tellin' ya....I really miss the extra IQ points I could have had sometimes.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (03-29-2012), Sparrow (04-06-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

It's like the difference in saying "breastfeeding decreases risks of ..." instead of "formula feeding increases risks of ..." the verbiage is changed to reflect what is biologically normal . It was a big deal in the lactivist community a short while back...

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Allison (03-27-2012), Maggirayne (03-29-2012), melliethepooh (03-26-2012), saturnfire16 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
melliethepooh
Rose Garden

Dinosaurs are people too

melliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond reputemelliethepooh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
Right. On demand feeding is normal; scheduled feeding has risks. I agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
melliethepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
mrsd
Rose Trellis

mrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond reputemrsd has a reputation beyond repute

Well, DS was fed on demand...he has a 4.0 GPA and scores in the 90th percentile and above on standardized tests....all this time I thought it was heredity, now I know it's because he was fed when he was hungry. Oh well.
mrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post

My mom formula fed me on a schedule and also smoked---and I'm tellin' ya....I really miss the extra IQ points I could have had sometimes.

...so thats my problem ..then add the drug use while pregnant
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-27-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post

Me too!

She FFd my brother, but dropped the smoking, so he as a few IQ points on me

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote