Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homeschool Graduation

Please tell me all you know about homeschool graduation. What did you include in a ceremony? Where did you order supplies? Diploma? Invitations? Things I don't know I need?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeschool Graduation

I got a very nice diploma from HSLDA. And I bought a cap and gown online. You can google caps and gowns. I'm not entirely sure one place is better than another. I think I bought from graduation source or economy cap and gown.

We bought invitations online from Simply to Impress. They were a combo announcement/invite. We did them as announcements and then added a little slip of paper with the party details.

We rented a small meeting room at a local center. We decorated with balloons, pictures, table centerpieces, a photo booth wall. We served cake and all my daughters favorite snacks. We had a short ceremony (maybe 30 minutes) and her youth pastor, me, her father, and she spoke. Then we ate and she and her friends moved the chairs out of the way and danced.

This was what she wanted. My son will graduation next year and we'll probably take him to dinner and give him a cash gift instead!
charla (04-14-2018), ECingMama (04-22-2018), Quiteria (05-27-2018), Soliloquy (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Dd1 attended our accountability group's big graduation and we had a reception the next day.

Dd2 .....well...I took her sister's cap and gown on a hike to a waterfall and when she was on a big rock by the falls, pulled them out and made her put them on and took a picture...that was it....totally not a 'ceremony' person

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2018), JoannaV (04-15-2018), Pragmatist (04-15-2018), Quiteria (04-15-2018), Soliloquy (04-14-2018), tempus vernum (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve made reservations to “glamp” for our dd’s Graduation. (Glamour camp which means kinda resort camping). We did senior pics in fall (untraditional like her) and she says she doesn’t want a cap and gown or anything. I am considering a tassel? I can’t decide.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2018), Soliloquy (04-15-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

So I think we'd really like to do a ceremony at our church with a reception following. I was able to order a diploma and cap and gown online. Ds wants to do his own invitations. If you had a ceremony can you tell me details about what you included? What did the speeches include? What other elements? I'm thinking that a video history of his life would be fun.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-22-2018), heartofjoy (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
So I think we'd really like to do a ceremony at our church with a reception following. I was able to order a diploma and cap and gown online. Ds wants to do his own invitations. If you had a ceremony can you tell me details about what you included? What did the speeches include? What other elements? I'm thinking that a video history of his life would be fun.
Can u link diploma and cap and gown? I want to at least get dd a tassel and diploma

I’d do prayer, life verse and maybe have a mentor speak abt the child, have a display of pics or video of their life. Offer the grad a chance to speak? Ask for a sermon, a prayer of blessing and anyone who would like to pray (before hand). Sing fav worship songs...

Not sure what else

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
charla (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
charla
Administrator

I got the diploma, cap and gown and tassel from HSLDA.

Great ideas! I plan to have ds speak since one of his assignments for his speech class is a graduation speech. I love the idea of dh doing a short speech/sermon. That would be neat. I think a sharing time for people to share their support fords going forward in his life would be neat too. I hadn't thought of music so I might ask ds about that, too.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 04-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Dh wrote a speech in the hallway 30 minute before. It blew mine away, though I worked on mine for a week. Everyone cried. We talked about her as she grew up, told stories, told about struggles and strengths, etc. I talked more to her about her future. Giving advice. Her youth pastor prayed and talked about watching her grow in her faith.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
charla (04-22-2018), ECingMama (04-22-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I've decided to get her diploma from HSLDA (the link Charla provided)

My dd wants a green tassel so I think I'm ordering here.
https://www.honorsgraduation.com/ord...uation-tassels

and I'd like a special book. I'm really loving the ideas here
https://www.realsimple.com/holidays-...-for-graduates

Last edited by tempus vernum; 05-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.
charla (05-15-2018), heartofjoy (05-18-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
charla
Administrator

I thought I'd update. We are a week and half away from the graduation. Everything is coming together although there are still hundreds of details to take care of. We decided to have a lunch beforehand for out-of-town family that we will have catered. Dh does not want me to cook and I think that is very sweet of him to watch out for my stress level. We will have a cake and punch reception afterwards for all who attend. I think the main decoration for the reception will be 8X10 pics of ds's each birthday.

For the ceremony we are planning on dh doing the main speech, hopefully a video of ds's life (if I can get it together by then), Ds's speech, diploma ceremony, a time for people to share special memories or advice, and prayer. Short and sweet and to the point!

We are going to have wallet senior pics available for people to take home.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (05-22-2018), Quiteria (05-27-2018), Singingmom (05-22-2018), Soliloquy (05-24-2018), tempus vernum (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #11
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I was coming to update as well. I’m so glad that your dh is watching your health.

I just ordered my dd’s tassel and diploma!

charla (05-27-2018), Singingmom (05-22-2018)