Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

SillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default HTCI in 2015?

My dh got me the book for Christmas, I'm about to get started... would love for some of you ladies to do it with me and/or those of you who have done it to chime in!
and Mommy to R1 (12) T3, R2 (8.6) T4, R3 (6.9) T1 and R4 (13m)
PaperbackSwap | Goodreads

SillyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HTCI in 2015?

I haven't heard of it. Will go and look it up

Does it have weekly/daily challenges in it? If so, you could post them for those of us who don't have the book and we could join in with you
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a mental block on the HTCI. I remember the book and have read it but can't remember what that stands for to look it up again.

I need to do some kitchen decluttering and cabinet organizing this year. Several of my kitchen cupboards are not working for me anymore. It would be fun to have a thread where we can cheer each other on.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
FarmMama
Rose Bouquet

FarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant future

I tried looking it up HTCI...but came back with all sorts of odd things that I do not think are the right thing (Like Hindu Temple In Central Indiana). Could you give the full title please? I am curious now.
DD1 3.24.09
DD2 10.20.12
DS2 7.25.15
FarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (12-29-2014), WanderingJuniper (01-03-2015)
Old 12-29-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmMama View Post
I tried looking it up HTCI...but came back with all sorts of odd things that I do not think are the right thing (Like Hindu Temple In Central Indiana). Could you give the full title please? I am curious now.
It's called "The House that cleans itself"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
charla (12-29-2014), FarmMama (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
FaithnPraise
Rose Garden

AKA Dr. Duh!

FaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooh, I wanna do it!!!
FaithnPraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I think I am on my third reading. I love this approach to housekeeping.

In a nutshell:
-a house doesn't need to be spotlessly clean, but it should function well for your family
-assess each room and decide how you would like it to function. If necessary declutter and add systems so that the room will work well for your family.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (12-29-2014), Hannah Elise (01-03-2015), sunflowermom (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I am still and always making improvements on the home with ideas I learned in this book - when something isn't working I go through the steps in the book and figure it out. I'm up for a support/community go at it

My goal for yesterday was to take down the holiday and I have fine tuned that over the years I also started reorganizing my beading and it is so much nicer to work with now

Today I'm working on getting the filing from the last few months organized (ideally I'd like to get to where I do this immediately as stuff comes in, but more reasonably my goal is at the end of each month to organize and file it all - I have a cute "catcher" fabric basket for everything until I get to it but with the last few months it's rather overflowing

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
I think I am on my third reading. I love this approach to housekeeping.

In a nutshell:
-a house doesn't need to be spotlessly clean, but it should function well for your family
-assess each room and decide how you would like it to function. If necessary declutter and add systems so that the room will work well for your family.

I think one of the most valuable things I learned is that there are wrong ways, but no one right way, to organize.

And, along with that, if you walk into a room and the first thing you see is a spotless table and clean floors, then when you see that the bookcases are cluttered your brain registers a clean room with some messy bookcases. If, however, the first thing you see is the messy bookcases, and later the clean table, your brain registers a messy room with a very clean table in it. This revolutionized my layout and where I focused my attention when people were coming over
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
And, along with that, if you walk into a room and the first thing you see is a spotless table and clean floors, then when you see that the bookcases are cluttered your brain registers a clean room with some messy bookcases. If, however, the first thing you see is the messy bookcases, and later the clean table, your brain registers a messy room with a very clean table in it. This revolutionized my layout and where I focused my attention when people were coming over
Oh yeah, sight lines! Stand from all vantage points of a room, and if possible look from above to help see where changes need to be made.

I used to have our piano in direct line with the stairs. When you go down the stairs you would see the clutter of music pages and music bags strewn about. I am in the process of changing the layout so you come down the stairs and see a nicely decorated buffet behind the dining room table, with nice decor above. When it is finished I would love to share photos. I have one more coat of paint to put on the buffet and table before I can assemble the room. The piano moved to a side wall that is out of sight until you enter the room.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (12-29-2014), squiddles (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

There's an HTCI group on FB. It's a mixture of peeps from here and not from here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/507392416045771/

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
FaithnPraise (12-30-2014), mummy2boys (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
mummy2boys

for that link. I was trying to find one the other day and was unsuccessful
The Following User Says Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
Llee (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

For me the biggest takeaway from the book is to change the house not the behavior. (Since behavior is harder and u likely to change) change the house to make keeping it clean as easy as letting it get messy.

After a year I finally found our shoe solution! We enter the house through the kitchen and there was constantly a mess of shoes strewn all over and it drove me nuts. So now there is a plastic shelf system (eventually I'd like to get something sturdier but this works for now) the kids each have a shelf and they keep their shoes on it along with a basket that holds their hats and gloves. It's working great so far!

Also a year ago I switched to cloths for cleaning and spills etc instead of paper towels. The original set cost me $16 and now after a year I replaced them (and kept the ratty ones for the dirtier jobs) Ivs save ALOT not buying cleaning wipes and paper towels. I also switched to ken homemade cleaner and then a store bought toilet cleaner which streamlines my cleaning and makes everything go faster.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (12-30-2014), Llee (12-29-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Count me in! I read through the old thread(s) here awhile ago and like the idea, got the book, started reading it, and got side-tracked, sigh . . . I want to get back to this. . . .

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (12-30-2014)
Old 01-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
FarmMama
Rose Bouquet

FarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant futureFarmMama has a brilliant future

I'm here, just got the book

Although, a big part of my problem right now is just being sick, too sick to do much. But I am praying that I will start to feel better soon. I had a decent day yesterday, and was able to do some picking up and started the book. I am excited to read more and find out what this is all about.
DD1 3.24.09
DD2 10.20.12
DS2 7.25.15
FarmMama is offline   Reply With Quote