Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Amahoro
Climbing Rose

Amahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond reputeAmahoro has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need GCM so much in my life

I sometimes lose time to read through GCM, because it's just so big and each day there's like 20+ pages of new threads to read. So I leave it alone and only get back once a week or something.

But after a day of being the lone voice advocating gentle practices when it comes to sleep; speaking out against a woman who charges $3600 for sleep training babies 6 months old and over (3 days in your house, no eye contact, no cuddles, no comfort, no interaction whatsoever so they get 'tough loved' into sleep); being told I need to have a 'bad' sleeper so I know what a load of you-know-what my gentle ideas are (not that they have a single clue about how my child's sleep has been lately!); I was just so worn down and feeling like I was the only person with these beliefs on parenting and children.

Coming back to GCM has made me feel normal once more. People understand my perspective and feel the same way. People can see the risks of sleep training like that and don't think it's 'the latest way to make mums feel guilty', etc etc.

I just needed to be back here with my 'tribe'; where I'm the normal one again. I've felt so alone and like a 'freak' all day.

Thank you for all you do here, ladies - it gives me a chance to recharge into the parent I want to be and get the support I need.

Amahoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Amahoro For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (05-07-2012), Barefoot Bookworm (05-06-2012), BlissfullyEsther (05-06-2012), Elyse221 (05-06-2012), JJsMom (05-06-2012), Little Forest (05-06-2012), Llee (05-23-2012), NovelMama (05-06-2012), PrincessAnika (05-07-2012), princesspoet (06-07-2012), Stiina (05-06-2012)
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for Amahoro:
FlyingBlueKiwi (05-06-2012), Llee (05-23-2012), PrincessAnika (05-07-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
MercyInDisguise
Rose Garden

The only way we'll last forever is broken together

MercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond reputeMercyInDisguise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need GCM so much in my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahoro View Post
speaking out against a woman who charges $3600 for sleep training babies 6 months old and over (3 days in your house, no eye contact, no cuddles, no comfort, no interaction whatsoever so they get 'tough loved' into sleep)
I could get 9 months of prenatal care and a midwife-assisted birth at our local birthing center (complete with prenatal and postnatal massages) and postpartum homecare for that cost! And... how do you pay that much money to have someone come to your house to do what millions of parents do all the time?! (I am DEFINITELY not advocating it, but if you're going to sleep train your baby, why break the bank to do it?!) Sorry I got caught up in that part of your post, I am just at the whole thing!

ITU what you said about needing GCM in your life. I am definitely a better wife and mother since I found GCM.
Mama to
A 20 months
a little one who will only ever know heaven 8/1/13
MercyInDisguise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MercyInDisguise For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

. I agree - this is such a helpful place to be
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
JenniferJuniper (05-09-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
WildFlower
Banned

WildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond reputeWildFlower has a reputation beyond repute

I was just going to post a thread asking for encouragement. I have been feeling so discouraged lately and like I just don't "fit in" with ANYone in real life. It is just so hard. I think part of it is my DD's age and I am getting to the point where I am just DONE night nursing but she's so not ready to be done. I can see SO many ways in which I parent differently and begin to feel weird about it and guilty like I need to defend why I am doing things this way. It makes it worse that I am a major introvert and have always felt like I didn't fit in, so parenting differently doesnt' help that any. The only place I feel like I belong is GCM. I really wish I could find find a big sister best friend GCM kind of person in-real life that I could talk to sometimes.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WildFlower For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012), Dovenoir (05-09-2012), Elyse221 (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Mommainrwanda
Rose Trellis

New country - same username

Mommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond reputeMommainrwanda has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to have a place where you don't have to worry about being attacked. As a bonus, when you hang out here you know you're going to learn new cool things.

-Showing grace
-Undercommitting
-Believing in the restoration of all things

The Urchin is capriciously 3
The Chiton is
an introvert not an introvert, just T4 baby

Adventure blog: Delving for a Rhapsody
Mommainrwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mommainrwanda For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way. I'm SUCH a weirdo IRL and in my FOO. There's just no one like me around, except DH. It's hard. I wish GCM was the town we all lived in.

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lalaithnil For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012), Dovenoir (05-09-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
jujubnme
Rose Garden

Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. (James 3:18)

jujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond reputejujubnme has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're back. I just yesterday saw a reply of yours in an older thread and thought to myself that I hadn't seen you around lately.

wife to my awesome dh since 8/2000 - mom to my sweet jujube ds since 9/2001
all INFPs, living in harmonious chaos.

GLORY be to God for dappled things---
All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

GERARD MANLY HOPKINS

jujubnme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jujubnme For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I feel much the same...

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Amahoro (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
frostymm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFlower View Post
I can see SO many ways in which I parent differently and begin to feel weird about it and guilty like I need to defend why I am doing things this way. It makes it worse that I am a major introvert and have always felt like I didn't fit in, so parenting differently doesnt' help that any. The only place I feel like I belong is GCM. I really wish I could find find a big sister best friend GCM kind of person in-real life that I could talk to sometimes.
You have taken the words out of my mouth!! I am so glad to have found a GCM, a place where other Christian mums "get" the way I parent
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
JenniferJuniper
Rose Bouquet

With Lilacs In Her Hair

JenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond reputeJenniferJuniper has a reputation beyond repute

I find this place a refuge from so many discouraging people and child-trainers.
Like you, I really appreciate this place as well!

Peace,
-Jenny