Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute
Default My most excellent breakfast (Picture inside)

Sorry, I'm feeling silling today. I made my breakfast last night. (If you haven't heard I like to do that.)

I started putting Yams (or sweet patatas..if you like) in my apple crisp. It's yummy. You do have to put some foil over the top or the yams won't cook through. If you like the top crispy then put the filling in the pan and top with foil. Bake for 30 minutes or unit a fork can easily slide through a yam. Then take off the foil and cover with your topping. Back for 10-15 minutes till the topping is just starting to brown and get crisp. I use the recipe from How it All Vegan. But, I use more oil or Earth Balance (either one works.) I sometimes add chopped walnuts or some coconut to the crisp mixture, too. I found that the amount of fat in the original recipe isn't enough to make it crispy like an oatmeal cookie and that is what I like on top. make sure to put some sugar or sweetner in the filling. And, if you are up to it..Porter really likes it with some Silk creamer poured over the top.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
Delaney (09-23-2013), Ima LeShalosh (10-23-2012), teamommy (10-23-2012)
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My most excellent breakfast (Picture inside)

Yum!

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

That looks so good! I'll have to find that book so that I can get the recipe!

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are lucky I'll post my revised verison later. I've got to clean up the living room right now

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

<hoping I'm lucky!>

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Old 06-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
ShangriLewis

Amanda is lucky indeed....Don't you have How it All Vegan?

If you do then here are my changes.

Heat oven to 350F
I do 4 apples (peels on) and 1 huge raw yam (peels off or 1/2 acorn squash..kind of a pain to peel) chopped in good bite size pieces. Put in a 13 X 9 casserole dish.
No raisins.
Sprinkle with sugar (brown or sucanant) and cinnamon and cardamon if you have it.
Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes.

Topping
2 cups oats
1 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2-1 cup oil or Earth Balance (More if you want it to be like a cookie on top and crunchy. If you use 1/2 cup it doesn't get as crunchy.)
2 tsp cinnamon
cardmom if you like it/have it
vanilla (I'm thinking a Tbsp..but I just sprinkle it on out of the bottle)
Good pinch of salt. I think the salt is really important here. It doesn't taste as good without it.

Optional:
coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flaxseed

Remove foil and top with mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until starting to brown and crispy on top.

Hope you like my directions. I do it from memory now.

Heather

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (02-02-2011), JoannaV (09-23-2013), Johns_Gal (02-02-2011), poleidopy (02-02-2011), Punkie (11-10-2011)
Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Punkie
Administrator

Awesome! I am such a lucky girl

Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
ShangriLewis

Oh my gosh I almost forgot my favorite tip! To cut down on oil and sugar you can use Maple Syrup in the topping. It will sweeten it and cause it to be very crispy.

Food is my friend

Heather

Old 10-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

I am getting a warning that this topic is old, and I should consider starting a new topic. . . however, I just want to bump this thread. This is SO perfect for a fall morning breakfast!!!!
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
HummusDip

We'll have to try this!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Punkie
Administrator

We just made this a few weeks ago. We love this breakfast

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
inesperada
Rose Garden

Play nice, y'all.

inesperada has disabled reputation

I have been making this weekly for a couple months now.

Wife of mi medianaranja, the tender-hearted servant, whose still waters run deep
Abbott, intensely 10
Hooch, SIX!
Our God is the God of the unexpected. ~Bill Crowder
inesperada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Punkie
Administrator

Bumping this again, because (5 1/2 years later) we're still making it for breakfast.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (02-02-2011), L-Boogie (03-25-2014)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the bump!
I so need to make this!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

This looks awesome! I have sweet potatoes, cranberries and oats in the crockpot now. I would have done this if I had seen it earlier!
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote