Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default oh yum yum yum yum yum yum yummmmm

ok, so i'm battling this awful yeast infection, right? (i know, TOTALLY not what you want to read in a recipe thread, lol). anyway, i've been super limited to what i can eat at the moment, i even had to cut out fruit for awhile. i'm happy to report i'm now allowed to have a fruit everyday now! woo!

anyway, i've completely cut out ALL refined sugar, and refined carbohydrates. i feel fantastic, of course, but this sugar junkie misses sweets SO. BADLY.

in my research of things that are actually good for killing off yeast, i found out that raw virgin coconut oil is excellent for that, as well as xylitol. hmmm... soooo, today i tried an experiment with delicious consequences. i was inspired by a thread over at the t-tapp forum.

i mixed a bit of the oil (maybe 1/4 c?) with some dark unsweetened cocoa powder until it was all creamy like, and then added about 1/2 t. of xylitol. then i added some unsweetened toasted coconut and a few drops of almond extract, dropped little clumps on a plate and stuck it in my freezer. OH MY!!!! it only takes a minute or two for it to get hard and it's like guilt free almond joy, i tell you. if i had chopped almonds to put in there, i would.

spurred on by my success, i tried the coconut oil, xylitol, cocoa and like half a drop of peppermint oil (i didn't have extract). so so delicious.

the nice thing is that they *need* to stay in the freezer, so no taking out more than one at a time. you might want to adjust the sweetener to your tastes, or try your luck with maple syrup of something (i can't have that right now, though). i would also read up on raw virgin coconut oil, it has amazing health benefits, but you should probably start very slow when you first start taking it, you can get the herxheimer effect from it because it's so good at killing off the beasties.

i really needed chocolate today, i'm so glad i did it! and no yucky sugar crash to deal with.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice
Default Re: oh yum yum yum yum yum yum yummmmm

Sounds yummy. I like baking with coconut oil.

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
HEmomma

Where does one buy coconut oil? Can I get it at say, Marsh?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

not sure... i know you can order it online, i got mine at whole foods. if you have a wild oats, i bet they have it. you have to make sure it's raw virgin to get the benefits.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I got raw virgin c.o. in the organic section of my grocery store.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing and for directing me to this post! Can't wait to try it!!!!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
arwen
Deactivated

arwen is on a distinguished road

o my....that sounds awesome!!!

i'm having yeast problems too....so i commiserate
arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
diamondintherough

That sounds divine!!! However, please be careful with the xylitol girls, too much will lead to diarrhea (yeah, I know this is a recipe thread, but I HAD to warn you!).

O.k.--Extra Virgin Coconut Oil--I use it all the time and the cheapest place I have found is:

http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...=coconut%20oil

I buy this one:

http://www.vitacost.com/Nutiva-Organ...in-Coconut-Oil

I know $20 plus $4.99 shipping seems a bit pricey, but 56 oz is a lot and I've had my "jug" for several months. Be warned that this particular one tastes a little more "coconutty" than some of the others I've tried, but it's quite yummy!

Well....off to make those almond joy thingies!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhh, *DROOL*
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

i like the nutiva the best... i bought some of the tropical traditions because a bunch of people said how great it was and it was on sale, but i don't like it so much. :/ it's chunky, not smooth like the nutiva, and i actually like more of a coconutty taste. oh well, i'll just have to work my way through it...

ditto on the xylitol, although i haven't had a problem. i don't eat that much of it, though.

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think I could do this with palm oil? It's similar in consistency (a little softer) than coconut oil - more like crisco. We are off coconut oil for the month to see if its causing problems for Luke.

It sounds so so yummy. The first thing I thought was . ..ooh, I could put some cashews in their and have chocolate covered cashews

although I already do that with grain sweetened chocolate chips but I like the freezer thing

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #13
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

i think you could try it with palm oil...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any other sweetener that would work? Besides sugar. It sounds good but I'm not sold on xylitol and I don't want to go hunt it down and buy it either. I'd like to take more coconut oil (even though I think snake oil every time) but there is only so much I can cook with it. Plus I like treats lol.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #15
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

i guess you could use maple syrup or honey... or agave syrup?

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!