Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

formerly known as apronstrings

Desert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud of
Default anyone have a recipe for a meatless lasagna? (vegetable or cheese only?)

Please? I have tried 2...one with spinach that turned out gummy, and one with broccoli that came out runny. I hope someone here has a real yummy one! I am looking for either veggie or just plain cheese that is meatless.

"When a culture simply shrugs about what happens to people in war, it breaks the fragile sequence, the bond between all people." -- Michael Meade.

Celebrating Family - Come see my new blog! (and vote for it here).
Desert Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Six Little Feet
Rose Garden

one who loves coffee

Six Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond reputeSix Little Feet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone have a recipe for a meatless lasagna? (vegetable of cheese only?)

i do but it is in the van and DH is at work...i will post it later/

mom of three young feminists

Pumpkin 2001-Midge 2005-Cookie 2007

“I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

― Dr. Seuss, Yertle the Turtle and Gertrude McFuzz
Six Little Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

Desert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud ofDesert Rose has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone have a recipe for a meatless lasagna? (vegetable or cheese only?)

Thanks Sheryl.

"When a culture simply shrugs about what happens to people in war, it breaks the fragile sequence, the bond between all people." -- Michael Meade.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone have a recipe for a meatless lasagna? (vegetable or cheese only?)

Here is my top secret recipe- you are super duper privlidged for me to share it with you

Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

Dana...too funny!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

This one is very good.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hearty-...na/Detail.aspx

I usually add a bag of frozen spinach and lots of shredded carrots into the sauce while it's cooking on the stove. Even my carnivore hubby loves it.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
LittleSweetPeas

I always just made a marinara that had veggies in it and then prepared the lasagna with cheese and sauce only. You could food process carrots or brocolli or any of those things and add it to the sauce. I especially love Trader Joes no boil lasagna for this but they only carry it once in a while.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
CakeLady

I have a pretty decent one that I have been playing around with. I will try to get back and post it soon OR just harass me for it next time you see me.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao102375
I have a pretty decent one that I have been playing around with. I will try to get back and post it soon OR just harass me for it next time you see me.
Will do!

Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #10
MaiasKnittingMama

I have a pumpkin and pesto one that I make but I don't really have a recipe for if that makes any sense.

I can try and make up a method of how I do it if you like?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
Lila

You could try veggie mince. Or, I've heard that if you add lots of cooked tomatoes, you don't miss the meat.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiasKnittingMama
I have a pumpkin and pesto one that I make but I don't really have a recipe for if that makes any sense.

I can try and make up a method of how I do it if you like?
Sounds interesting...

Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
SamsMama

Buy a box of Barilla no-boil noodles and follow the recipe on the back only omit the meat. This turned out perfectly the first time I tried it and has been a hit ever since for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. If you want to get fancy you can mix in some chopped frozen spinach (drained and pulled apart a bit) with your cheese mixture. This recipe is really easy too.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #14
Desert Rose
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsMama
Buy a box of Barilla no-boil noodles and follow the recipe on the back only omit the meat. This turned out perfectly the first time I tried it and has been a hit ever since for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike. If you want to get fancy you can mix in some chopped frozen spinach (drained and pulled apart a bit) with your cheese mixture. This recipe is really easy too.
I actually have some and just checked out that recipe. Thanks! I was concerned that using a recipe designed for meat may give me an end product with a runny consistency. But it sounds like it worked for you! I will try it in the next day or two.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW: You don't have to actually buy no-boil noodles. As long as your sauce/liquid is ~5 cups, you can use regular noodles, sans that boiling.

Okay, I have a 4-cheese lasagna recipe that seems pretty popular. The following recipe makes 2 lasagnas (I always make it when I take a meal to a new mom...that way, we get one and they get one).

1 (15 oz. ricotta cheese - whole milk)
1 (15 - 16 oz.) cottage cheese - low fat or whole)...it is important to use at least one full-fat between the cottage and the ricotta, in order to keep the "shape" and prevent runniness.
32 oz. mozarella cheese (shredded)
1.5 cups shredded parmesan (I buy a wedge when it goes on sale and shred it in the food processor when I need it).
18 lasagna noodles, uncooked
5 cu. homemade sauce (I can post this if you want it) or 4 (28 oz.) cans/jars marinara sauce
1-2 cu. fresh spinach leaves
2 eggs

mix ricotta, cottage cheese, eggs, and spinach leaves together
place 1.5 cu. sauce in bottom of each of 2 9x13 dishes
place 3 noodles on top of sauce
dollop cheese/spinach mixture on top of noodles (it will be 1/4 of the total mixture for each of the 2 pans) - the mixture will seem sparce, but it is plenty, trust me.
Next layer - 2 cu. mozarella cheese per lasagna
Next layer - 1/4 of total parmesan per lasagna

repeat layers one more time - this should use up the ricotta mixture, and most of the mozarella and parmesan (I say "most" b/c I always save a little to put on top.

Top with final 3 noodles (per lasagna) and remaining sauce and mozarella and parmesan.

For best results, cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight. (You can also cover and freeze for a later date).

Cook at 350 F for ~ 1 hour, covered with foil - until center is hot

Remove foil, and cook for 20 minutes - to melt/brown the top cheese a little.

Let sit for 10 minutes or so before cutting.

p.s. you can also place sauteed carrots or other veggies in the marinara sauce for added punch.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote