Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come on!!

Just thought I'd resurrect these recipes from old threads and add a few more. I started 100% raw again 3 days ago. I have a friend who wants to do it and she is THE biggest meat-eater I know. More than most guys! SO she's kind of my accountability partner. I know a lot of us have fallen off the wagon over the winter, so JUMP BACK ON with me! Lets start with the decadent stuff becasue at first it's hard going from eating junk, thinking you'll never enjoy the taste of chocolate or sweets again. so...here we go. post your progress and raw recipes! I finally found some & had a sec to write them out. Here you go.

SOME OF THESE ARE COPIED FROM RECIPES PEOPLE HERE POSTED. I DIDN'T KEEP TRACK OF WHO'S RECIPES WERE WHO'S EXCEPT FOR A FEW. IF YOU SEE YOUR RECIPE AND WANT CREDIT, GO AHEAD OR LET ME KNOW.Since most of these are easily found online anyway, I didn't think anyone would mind, just wanted to add that little disclaimer anyway.

RAW SMOOTHIES:

I have not had any luck with smoothies involving oranges & pineapple, though I would really like to. Tropical smoothies...mmmm. ANyway, my staples:

PB & banana smoothie: 2 bananas, really ripe, 1/4c PB, some agave nectar or honey, 6-8oz almond milk. sometimes I add raw cacao.

Cantaloupe smoothie (tastes like orange sherbet)- a bunch of cantaloupe, frozen is best or you can just add lots of ice, some orange juice, a little agave or honey.

really chocolatey smoothie- almond or coconut milk, dates, cacao, banana, nut butter, coconut oil/butter, sometimes I add coconut flakes and pecans and then eat the whole thing with a spoon. It reminds me of a Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard from DQ

Pina COlada smoothie- pineapple chunks, coconut oil, coconut flakes, pineapple juice or a little water, ice, some agave if I think it needs it

banana split smoothie- banana, cacao, strawberries, pineapple, coconut flakes a little almond or coconut milk or water

of course none of these are the kind you'd want to add greens to. shaking head no - smile THose I just grab what's on hand. I think mango and papaya and tropical fruits work best. Or frozen berries. Oh, peaches or nectarines are yummy. nodding head yes

I hate carrots. I really do NOT like cut up celery or carrots or any veggies, really. Maybe red & yellow peppers if I'm in the mood. SO I live off smoothies. (Really high calorie smoothies.) SO salads are a major no-go here. I juice spinach and add it to my apple/lemonade or other fresh juice, but that's about it in the greens dept.

SNACKS:

sliced bananas w/ nut butter and honey/agave
grated carrots. diced apples. raisins, chopped cashews or macadamias w/ nut milk
apples w/ honey or agave and cinnamon (or you can use brown rice syrup - but thats not raw...it does taste like caramel!) shifty
banana puree (pudding) w/ diced pinapple topped w/ shredded coconut ***if you can get papaya or mango - add it to the puree YUM!

nori (dried seaweed) shredded carrots, salad greens, lemon juice, and avocado
sliced cucumbers and chopped avocados in a bowl
nuts

chopped carrrots and celery with cucumber hummus or guacamole (mush up some avocado and add salt/pepper, garlic powder and if you like, onions and tomatoes chopped small.

ARWENS ALMOND JOYS:

(five star recipe!)

2 c almonds finely ground
1/2 c raw cocoa powder
1/3 t sea salt
1 c shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 c raw agave nectar
2 T olive oil

mix everything
shape them into small balls
then i stuck mine in the freezer

FLAX CRACKERS

CHOCOLATE OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES:

and the absolute BEST thing I have ever tasted in my LIFE...
COCONUT ROLLED BROWNIE BALLS

Flax crackers:
abunch of flax seeds, however many you want or have on hand (um, howabout 1 cup?) add equal parts water, let soak 5 hours or overnight. addsundried tomatoes, or onions and whatever spices you want. spread verythinly on cookie sheet (or dehydrator sheet) and dehydrate untilcrispy. If using oven, set it on lowest setting and leave the oven doorajar. some suggested flavors are: dehydrated or fresh onion, basil anditalian spices, a dash of lemon juice (lime is actually better) for'sour cream & onion', sundried tomatoes and chili spices (chiliflavored crackers) or sundried tomatoes and pizza spices (pizzacrackers), or sundried tomatoes and other minced veggies (garden veggieflavor) and whatever else you want. Add a squirt of Braggs aminos too,that gives a little more flavor. Be creative, cater to your ownpersonal tastes. Oh, I also added a handful of sesame seeds becasue Ihad them right there.

chocolate oatmeal peanut butter raisin cookies (the equivalent of raw no-bakes):
2 cups oats
1 cup raisins
1 cup peanut butter (I used cashew butter & they were fine)
1 cup maple syrup (I used honey and it was fine) mixed with 1/2 cup cocoa or carob powder
dash of vanilla if desired (I omitted this)
Mix all ingredients, shape into cookies and enjoy!

coconut-rolled brownie balls:
puta bunch of dates in the food processor until they turn to paste.measure how much paste you have and add the same amounts of nut butter(any kind) and cocoa or carob powder, add a Tbsp of honey (more if youwant it sweeter) mix throroughly. I had to do it by hand because myfood processor started smoking. shifty Roll into balls. roll in coconut or chopped nuts if desired. Add awalnut, pecan or almond for garnish if desired. Refrigerate them, ifthey make it that far without being eaten. wink

RAW SUSHI
(carrots, cucumber, bean sprouts, avocado, rolled in nori and dip in soy sauce

DONUT HOLES;

donut holes:
in food processor or blender, seperately process until slightly chunky (small chunks):
1 c pitted dates
1 c dried pineapple
1 c almonds (soak at least 4 hrs then let dry)

combine and mix by hand, adding:
3 Tbsp shredded dried coconut
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 vanilla bean, scraped (or a dash of vanilla. i added a lot of vanilla)

roll into balls, wetting hands if necessary (keeps from sticking)
roll in more coconut (you'll need about 2 Tbsp.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come

Forgot to add the most delicious lemon cookies. ANother 5 star recipe.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come

I'm thinking about it. I just have to get to the summer and then I can start affording the veggies. Or maybe I just need to have this baby so I'm not craving chocolate all the time, real milk chocolate. I'm a failure as a vegan right now too, but I'm not trying very hard...

I want to do this, really, there's a HUGE selection of raw foods (especially cookies) at our natural food store up the hill.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
arwen
Deactivated

arwen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come on!!

i've been making my way there again....about 90 percent worth....
if you want another accountability partner i'll join

i just made a twist with the donut holes....
i didn't have almonds....or dates....

so this is what i did....

ground cashews....didn't soak them or anything
dried, low sulfer, low sugar pinepaple ground up
mix together....
add the coconut and lots of vanilla
then instead of dates i added agave nectar....
i rolled them up and stuck them in the fridge....
i ate the dough and omy...it was heaven...it was really different and tasted like this sugary sweet gooey cookie mix....

my dh says he likes the others better....
they were gone in 2 days and i made a ton!

so try that one out too.....
substitue the almonds with the cashews
and the dates with the agave nectar
and i don't roll mine with the coconut....

also..i've been eating raw sushi every single day...
i mix cauliflower in my vitamix and substitue it for my rice....
add carrots/cucumbers and huge chunks of avacados .... YUM

that's it for now....
arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
HummusDip

subbing, I'll be back!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
blossomnatalia

subbing too...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this, Kawani. I was thinking about calling in some accountability, too. Two weeks ago I went to a raw dessert tasting and umped back on the wagon. I went a full week raw, then had several days when I was eating at other people's houses, and was 50-70 percent raw then. Now I'm back to 90-10 percent, and I've really done *no* cooking since I don't have time, just grab handfuls of raw fruits, veggies, and nuts.

Which brings me to a point. What do you do about eating at other people's houses? Do you just avoid it? I tend to end up eating somewhere else about twice a week. It's not intended. Usually, I'm just over a friend's house where ds is playing, and we're invited to dinner. I don't want to be rude and say no ...

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
b_light

Oooo.... those pictures are making me drool!

I'm not raw right now, but I was 100% for about 4 months last year. I keep thinking of giving it another go...

When I did eat raw, green smoothies were a staple. Like...I always had one

And I made raw strawberry ice cream occasionally, and that was super duper good!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
arwen
Deactivated

Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come on!!

bring a dish of your own

i go over to other people's houses all the time....i take my own or just don't eat
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
blossomnatalia

That is where I am right now...
a green smoothie everyday..... that is all I can do. I don't really cook either....I am just pregnant and tired.

Kawani,
my fav green smoothie has pineapple in it :

bananas, kale, strawberries (frozen usually) and pineapple. I do add flax seeds to it also and do half and half with water and rice milk. (mostly water though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy

Which brings me to a point. What do you do about eating at other people's houses? Do you just avoid it? I tend to end up eating somewhere else about twice a week. It's not intended. Usually, I'm just over a friend's house where ds is playing, and we're invited to dinner. I don't want to be rude and say no ...
I followed the hallelujah diet before for about 4 months and see this is why it did not last (apart from the fact that I went to France for 3 months and I was staying at my moms ) I was too hardcore about it and I could not go anywhere where food was involved.

I would bring my own food for my family when invited to dinner and it just got ridiculous....
now I have such a smaller goal and I think I will be able to keep up with it much easier.... I won't let it hender friendships and such... It is just food!

I think I can tend to put food and diet so high.... but really a little of balance has never hurt anybody!

OK I just realized how not-motivational this post was and if you want me to delete it kawani, i will....

Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
arwen
Deactivated

oh..i also wanted to say....that keep your friends informed about what you eat too....
and you can usually eat high raw when you are at your friends house...or maybe just vegan
i usually eat just vegan...that is something i won't compromise on....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwen
bring a dish of your own

i go over to other people's houses all the time....i take my own or just don't eat
oops arwen....

We posted at the same time...

please do not take offense in what I said...
For us, the instances where I brought my own food were not a relationship builder and just made it all awkward and I realize now that I could have just eaten what i was offered and it would have been ok.
but it is just my opinion...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
arwen
Deactivated

no offense taken at all~~
i can understand about the friend thing
my personality is pretty strong and i would have brought like 3-4 raw dishes to prove my point

everyone is different and i totally don't take offense....i hope you didn't take offense to what i said
Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #14
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwen
oh..i also wanted to say....that keep your friends informed about what you eat too....
and you can usually eat high raw when you are at your friends house...or maybe just vegan
i usually eat just vegan...that is something i won't compromise on....
that is a good point....
and yeah friends that know what you are doing really try to accommodate you as best they know how....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

MamaTiger has convinced me to do this...she's so inspirational!!!

I'm starting slowly...with green smoothies in the morning. I have strawberries, bananas, spinach, and ice...blend it up, and it is SO yummy! Today was my 1st day, and I felt really good all day.

If you add almond milk (not homemade) to your smoothies, is it still considered raw? I was curious about that.

Anyway, for some raw foody love (and recipes), everyone should go to happy foody. com (remove the spaces, obviously).
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote