Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia
For us, the instances where I brought my own food were not a relationship builder and just made it all awkward and I realize now that I could have just eaten what i was offered and it would have been ok.
but it is just my opinion...
This is how I feel, too. I feel uncomfortable telling people outright I'm vegan or I eat raw, because I don't want *them* to worry about it when preparing a meal, or inviting me to stay (like I said, it's almost always NOT planned, so I wouldn't have food with me anyway). Again, just me - which makes it difficult.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #17
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia
That is where I am right now...
a green smoothie everyday..... that is all I can do. I don't really cook either....I am just pregnant and tired.

Kawani,
my fav green smoothie has pineapple in it :

bananas, kale, strawberries (frozen usually) and pineapple. I do add flax seeds to it also and do half and half with water and rice milk. (mostly water though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy

Which brings me to a point. What do you do about eating at other people's houses? Do you just avoid it? I tend to end up eating somewhere else about twice a week. It's not intended. Usually, I'm just over a friend's house where ds is playing, and we're invited to dinner. I don't want to be rude and say no ...
I followed the hallelujah diet before for about 4 months and see this is why it did not last (apart from the fact that I went to France for 3 months and I was staying at my moms ) I was too hardcore about it and I could not go anywhere where food was involved.

I would bring my own food for my family when invited to dinner and it just got ridiculous....
now I have such a smaller goal and I think I will be able to keep up with it much easier.... I won't let it hender friendships and such... It is just food!

I think I can tend to put food and diet so high.... but really a little of balance has never hurt anybody!

OK I just realized how not-motivational this post was and if you want me to delete it kawani, i will....

No offense taken, silly!

I've been doing really, really badly lately. I have a very all-or-nothing, black and white way of thinking when it comes to food. It's something I've been trying to work on for years. I've fallen off the wagon so far I wonder if I will be able to catchup. I feel so discouraged becasue I *want* to eat raw, but when I go to friends' houses or events, I can't eat raw, and I feel like I've "failed." SO I give up becasue I think "I will NEVER be able to maintain this as a lifestyle, like I want to." And I do not want to take my own raw dishes to friends; houses for a few reasons. They would be insulted. I don't want them to have to accommodate me more than they already do (Especially w/DS's severe and MANY allergies, they are really good about making things he can eat.) I want to be able to enjoy myself without focusing on food. And it's really expensive and we don't have enough money to buy all kinds of raw stuff. We have food stamps and have to make those stretch, so if my family eats raw, we really have to pinch pennies and as selfish as it is, we can't feed other people too often.

I really want to start raw again. I have to go shopping tomorrow, and after binging on junk the past few weeks, I am so depressed and feel like I will never lose the weight I've gained back since last summer. Last summer I was all raw and felt great and weighed the lowest I have ever weighed in my life. My self esteem was so good. Now I don't fit in any of my clothes. (I had to go to Goodwill last night and buy a pair of jeans 2 1/2 sizes bigger. ) I feel like poo. Can you guys PLEASE, really, seriously hold me accountable? I need the help and the accountability and the motivation. Remind my WHY I want to eat raw and be healthy, not just thin. It's so hard for me right now. AS some of you probably know, I've battled an eating disorder for many years, and it really, really complicates things IRT food. But when I was eating raw it really wasn't an issue, as long as I stuck to it and didn't eat more than one SAD meal per week (on Sundays when we went out with our church family.) SO I could really use the help. I'm so down about it right now.

Sorry for that total depressing post (and you thought yours was depressing, blossomnatalia!!!! )
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #18
HummusDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendelight
MamaTiger has convinced me to do this...she's so inspirational!!!

I'm starting slowly...with green smoothies in the morning. I have strawberries, bananas, spinach, and ice...blend it up, and it is SO yummy! Today was my 1st day, and I felt really good all day.

If you add almond milk (not homemade) to your smoothies, is it still considered raw? I was curious about that.

Anyway, for some raw foody love (and recipes), everyone should go to happy foody. com (remove the spaces, obviously).
It would depend on if the almonds they used were raw.

Raw almond milk is SOOOOOOOOOOOO easy to make! Any nut milk is actually!

I got a new blender (well a used one, my MIL gave it to me) so I'll be back to drinking my green smoothies everyday! I've really been off the bandwagon and eating horrible.

I would like to go at least 75% raw full time. I do eat meat. I like meat. And I can't imagine giving it up fully, especially when we're on such a budget and my dh and dd love meat and refuse to not not eat it.

But I'm going to strive to do better! SO many good recipes...I don't care for shredded coconut though and seems every recipes calls for it!

I'll post a couple good recipes when I have some time.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #19
HummusDip

I'd love to be held accountable too! We're not perfect, but so long as we are trying and improving and following our body's cues then what more can we ask for?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #20
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come on!!

How have you mama's been holding up?

I have so far been eating vegetarian (except for some family dinners) but I still want to get back into raw gear again.

here is a recipe that I posted a while back with pictures of raw spagetti;

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...topic=164887.0
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #21
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #22
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all wanna-be RAW foodies! pics, recipes, & post your progress! Come on!!

Anyone also finding that they need to eat much *less* when they eat raw?

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #23
arwen
Deactivated

arwen is on a distinguished road

yes, although i love the feeling of being open to eat anything raw all the time....
i've fell off the wagon once again...o well...
still vegan though....sigh.....
arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
something glorious
Rose Garden

something glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nice

we're about 75% raw vegan over here in fact, i am about to post a blog about it the other 25% of the time we're pecto-veggie. we still eat some eggs and i'll have salmon on occasion i feel SO GOOD eating this way my skin is starting to GLOW again. (i've never had bad skin, but it is looking even more youthful and radiant )

anyway, i'm excited to try some of the 'cookie' recipes posted here, once i get my hands on some raw cocoa powder.
wife to my wise and gentle DH

something glorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely just a wanna-be - if that even! - but I've started adding way more raw into my diet these past couple months. I start my day with a green smoothie and sometimes have one for lunch as well.

My favourite green smoothie is 2 bananas, 1 cup of frozen sliced strawberries OR frozen blueberries, a generous handful of spinach, 2 Tbsp wheat germ, a large drop of honey, and 2/3 cup water to mix. Sooo good, and I can let my son sip away at it too.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
HummusDip

I'm a bit fat failer here lately!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #27
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTiger
I'm a bit fat failer here lately!
Nah. its all in your attitude. I could get down on myself for eating a bean and cheese burrito last night, or I can just be happy that I was able to make fresh juice in the morning and focus on the little achievements. I'm getting back on the wagon today.

Remeber- your only one meal away from sucess!

BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing 80% raw and vegan again this summer! Somehow, it just works out better for me during the hot months.

My favorite snack right now is arugula lettuce from our garden and sliced pears with some lemon juice and olive oil slashed on...and sprouted hummus and veggies. I have to keep it simple and only treat myself to fancy every once in a while, or I get discouraged.

Anyway, just reporting in for the next five months!
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
something glorious
Rose Garden

something glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nicesomething glorious is just really nice

glad to see you, ash
wife to my wise and gentle DH

something glorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #30
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Did you end up trying any of those cookie recipes, L? They're sooooooo yummy!
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote