Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
gentlemommy
Deactivated

gentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond reputegentlemommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recipes and Pics of creations to keep me accountable in my vegan eating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
Wow, mama. . . a new baby, a toddler and all this. You're a superhero.

And it all looks SOO good!!
Exactly what I was thinking! I'm so impressed Jen! I can't wait to try some of these!
gentlemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recipes and Pics of creations to keep me accountable in my vegan eating...

Yummy!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who photographs my food!
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Tuesday

Sneaking in a quick recipe since the ILs are out of the house. I was hungry and made a lazy person enchilada. Here it is:

Take a few (I did three) corn tortillas
Spread beans on them
Pour some salsa in a casserole dish
Place a bean-spread tortilla in the dish
Layer spinach, corn, olives, fake cheese sauce (recipe on page 4) and more salsa topping off with another bean-spread tortilla.

I cooked in the oven just enough to warm it (425 degrees for about 15 minutes)

Yum!

See ya Thursday if I don't post something before.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
ziggyplaid
Rose Bouquet

Done is better than perfect

ziggyplaid will become famous soon enoughziggyplaid will become famous soon enough

I've got to try some of these recipes.
ziggyplaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #20
greenjellysnakes
Climbing Rose

greenjellysnakes is just really nicegreenjellysnakes is just really nicegreenjellysnakes is just really nicegreenjellysnakes is just really nicegreenjellysnakes is just really nice

Yum, these recipes look delish I want to move in with you

Tammy

Wife to Papa Bear for 9 wonderful years

Mama to
Peachfuzz (6)
Mr Dimples (4)
Sprout (1)

greenjellysnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #21
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Today was an AWESOME healthy low-fat food day, despite my burning oatmeal to the bottom of a pan.

This morning was oatmeal. Usually, I boil the water, then add the oatmeal and turn it off and leave it for 10-20 minutes while I get the kids changed and into day-time clothes. Today, I forgot to turn it off and it boiled over and ALL over the place and crusted to the bottom of the pan.

I am trying to stay away from regular sugar and brown sugar if possible so I sweetened my oatmeal with molasses this morning and added small bits of dried apricot to it. Cameron had the same but threw all the apricots at me so I won't do those again for him.

I have realized over the last two days that I NEED fast snacks in the house so that when I'm in my "I've been breastfeeding all day and have no energy" phase of the day, I can grab something and not just eat something that's bad for me. So I decided I needed sushi. I made some rice in the rice cooker and added a bit of extra water to help gum it up a bit. After it was cooked, I cooled it in the fridge. Once it was no longer steaming, I added rice vinegar, sugar (I know, I just said I was trying to avoid this, but I didn't want to use up my mirin, too expensive) and some salt. I cut up carrots, green onions and avocados into strips. I made two nori rolls and then one bowl of sushi rice salad (all the ingredients for sushi, but thrown into a bowl instead of taking the time to wrap, tearing up the nori (seaweed) and throwing it into the bowl. I was rather pleased with the salad and Cameron even ate some (as long as it had avocado in it). The nori rolls, I wrapped up in plastic and put in the fridge to grab for a snack (I just ate one for my late night snack). Here's what all of it looked like as well as a close-up of the bowl. Below the pictures are some ideas for vegan sushi ingredients.

California roll: rice, avocado, cucumber, seaweed, sesame seeds
Salad roll: rice, tomato, avocado, cucumber, seaweed
Vegetarian roll: rice, carrot, avocado, seaweed, chili pepper
Almond roll: rice, teriyaki glazed onion, almond, cucumber, mushroom, seaweed
Frushi: rice, favorite fruits, seaweed
Thai Noodle Roll: rice, pad thai noodles, seaweed, mushroom
Curry Roll: fried curry rice, potatoes, peas, baby carrots, seaweed
Spaghetti Roll :rice, spaghetti, seaweed (dip in marinara)
Grilled Veggie roll: rice, grilled eggplant and bell peppers, italian dressing, seaweed

I had a midwife appointment today and that means I get to go to Briar Patch Co-op, which is in the same city. I always love going there. I bought some burdock to make a salad and then ended up over in the deli (I try so hard to avoid it, but it's SOOOO good) and bought two things I'm going to try to duplicate. I have no pictures, but I'll share what they have in them.

The first thing that I tried was not vegan, but could easily be made so with a little tweaking. It was called a Hijiki Tofu Cake and contained the following:

Tofu, Shiitake Mushrooms, Carrot, Burdock root, Sesame Seeds and oil, Agave syrup, Tamari, Sake, flour, egg.

It looked like a little pancake and was so stinking good. I'm going to try to make it without the egg, using honey instead of agave and maybe I'll spring for some shiitake at some point.

The second thing was equally good and really high in brain foods (natural fats). It was a Walnut Miso Spinach sort of salad and consisted of:

Spinach, Miso, Walnuts, Kombu, Maple Syrup and Tamari. It was incredible and so very green and healthy looking. I'll try it soon. I can't remember if I've got kombu in the house or not.

For dinner, I was SO tired and told my mom, "Let's just have haystacks." Haystacks, or frito boats or taco salad, depending on the locale and culture, is one of our favorite meals. If you haven't had it, you're missing out on a very easy meal that can accommodate meat and non-meat eaters, vegan and lacto-ovo vegetarian. Here's how I make a haystack:

Layer of tortilla chips on a plate, crushed slightly
Add cooked beans (chili are best, but black, pinto, red, anything pretty much works)
Add cheese (if you eat that sort of thing)
Add Lettuce (lots of it)
Add Chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped whatever veggie needs to be used up (tonight, we had carrot and cabbage)
Add ketchup or salsa or both
Add sour cream (again, if you eat that sort of thing )
Top with a few olives

YUM Here's what it looked like before I dug in.

Truly a great food day. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #22
HummusDip

WOW subbing!

I have to try these recipes and I am so motivated to get back to eating healthy and mostly vegetarian after baby comes!

Keep em' coming Jen and please DON'T STOP-keep this thread going!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #23
Atarah

Thanks for the food blog. keep 'em coming.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 AM   #24
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing cause I've debated going vegan... Oh, and I love new recipes to try...
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #25
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Sunday!

It was a potluck today at church. Let me tell ya, I'm used to Seventh-Day Adventist potlucks where there's almost always something I can eat (SDA's are usually vegetarian and potlucks are always vegetarian/vegan). Now, at my foursquare church, the ONLY thing I can really eat is what I bring. So I bring lots of yummy stuff. Today, I brought a huge pan of roasted potatoes and also made a quinoa recipe to share. The quinoa turned out great and was well received (after I explained what it was).

Homestyle Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 package gimme lean beef flavored meat substitute (you could probably substitute in some drained/rinsed garbanzo beans or kidney beans)
1/2 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup or more frozen corn
veggie broth for sauteing
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, but GOOD)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste
Fresh Parsley, minced

In a non-stick large frying pan, saute the onion and garlic in veggie broth. Add the gimme lean (breaking it up with the spatula) or beans. Use more veggie broth as needed. Cook for about 5 minutes.

Rinse quinoa in cold water and drain. Bring the water to boil and add the quinoa. Cook 10-15 minutes, until quinoa has absorbed the water and you can see the white germ ring.

While quinoa is cooking, add remaining ingredients to the frying pan/stock pot and stir while cooking. When quinoa is cooked, add it to the pan/pot and stir to combine. Taste and re-spice as needed.

Breakfast and Supper were not very exciting, just left-overs and fruit (my parents just came home from Fresno and pickd up the season's first nectarines/apricots/cherries.)

Happy eating!

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #26
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

I don't know what I did to the pancakes this morning, but they were funky and not that great. I usually make my own cashew milk and wonder if I didn't put enough cashews in?!? The pancakes ended up like rubber so I only had two small ones.

Lunch was - what was lunch? Did I eat lunch? Oh, it was leftovers, pretty good, but not sensational.

Dinner was YUM. I made a skillet meal to put in burritoes/tacos.

Here's what went into it...

Skillet Burrito Filling

1 onion, diced
1/4 c water
1 tsp chicken flavor seasoning (I use Chickenish)
1/4 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked rice (salted when cooked)
1 cup each frozen corn, cooked black beans, burger replacement
1-2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2-3 tbs chopped fresh cilantro

Cook onion in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with water, chicken seasoning, and salt. Cook until caramelized.

Add remaining ingredients and cook until warm.

Serve in tortillas or tostada shells. I made tostadas out of corn tortillas by placing four of them on a plate and cooking for 3-5 minutes in the microwave, flipping them once halfway through.

I did top this with vegan sour cream and avocados along with lettuce and hot salsa.

We ate fresh nectarines for dessert.

Jen D.

PS: I know that everything really looks the same when looking at my pictures. I eat a lot of the same types of food, just prepared several different ways. I do plan to make some incredible stuff this week so stay tuned.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #27
HummusDip

Oh my goodness those tacos are making my stomach gurgle, I need some of those NOW! yum yum yum

Maybe I can convince my doula to cook those for me after birth!!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #28
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough

yummy! now that I am doing raw this month, this thread is killing me !! Those tacos look amazing
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #29
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

This was a very busy food day. I overdid it, being only 3.5 weeks pp. But the food was good and I have leftovers. Besides what was shown, I also made some more kimpura gobo.

Vegan omelette
Hashbrowns

Vegan Omelette for One (from the fat free vegan kitchen)

6 oz (1/2 package) lite silken tofu
1 TB soymilk (I found it needed just a big more, maybe 1 TB, to thin it)
1 TB nutritional yeast
1 TB potato starch or cornstarch
1 tsp tahini (I used peanut butter, I was out of tahini )
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/4-1/2 tsp salt
1 pinch chipotle pepepr or paprika (optional)

Also needed:

Omelette filling of choice**

Blend together all ingredients until smooth. (I doubled this recipe to make sure it would blend well).

Spray a large skillet with olive oil and heat on medium-high until very hot. Pour the batter into the center of the skillet. Let cook until the edges start to curl a little. Flip the omelette over (it should be fairly brown/toasted on the cooked side) and put the toppings on it. Let cook another minute and then fold over in half. Use your spatula to lightly press down on the folded omelette.

Serve with ketchup, salsa, vegan sour cream or refried beans.

**for filling, I used tomatoes, onions, spinach, olives and mushrooms

The hashbrowns are easy to make, didn't turn out QUITE like I hoped, a little more mushed together, but tasty.

Method for making hashbrowns

Shred potatoes (amount depends on how many you're feeding, I would do one large russet potato per person). Soak in cold water and rinse several times (these can be soaked overnight in the fridge). Drain well. Heat skillet to high and spray or add just a small amount of olive or other oil. I would not recommend trying to make these without oil, they stick like CRAZY. Once the skillet's hot, toss the potatoes into the pan and let them sit for a few minutes until they look like they're becoming a light tan. Add a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Flip several times as they brown. Serve hot.

Chinese broccoli/beef
Tofu cakes

I'm craving Chinese food right now REAL bad. When I lived in Lincoln, there was an incredible Chinese food place that made vegetarian dishes with gluten "meat". They made peanut chicken, beef and broccoli, orange beef, anything you could buy with real meat in it was offered in a vegetarian option. I have long tried to duplicate the "meat", but the only way I knew how to make gluten is to boil it in broth. I just stumbled through Bryanna Clark Grogan's Chinese food book and found that you can also bake the gluten or deep fry it. I tried it both ways. The deep frying is obviously WAY too much fat, but the baking was PERFECT for what I was looking for. Here's the recipe for the gluten meat.

Gluten Dough

2 1/2 cups pure gluten powder (vital wheat gluten)
2 cups cold water

Mix both together with a spoon until it becomes rubbery. Wet your hands and knead it well until it's tough. Use kitchen shears to cut into slices about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Place slices on a sprayed baking sheet and place in oven heated to 350 for a total of 20 minutes flipping them over at the half-way point. They will become puffy, but as soon as you take them out, they shrink down in size.

For the broccoli, I just cut up two large chunks of broccoli into small florets. I also added onion, cut into wedges. Here's a basic recipe for the sauce. I didn't pay attention to how much of each ingredient I used.

Basic Chinese Sauce (in order of amounts, largest to smallest)

Beef-flavored vegan broth
Soy Sauce
Rice Wine Vinegar
White sugar or honey
Grated Ginger
Small amount of cold water mixed with 1-2 TB cornstarch added after all the ingredients are in the pan cooking.

I soaked the "meat" in the sauce juice for a while as I was cooking the broccoli in a small amount of water with the lid on. After the broccoli had started to soften, I added the sauce and mixed everything together. I let it heat up to where the liquid was boiling and then added the corn starch/water and mixed it in well. As the liquid starts to thicken, lower the heat until you're ready to serve.

Serve over brown rice.

On the right side of the picture, I made some japanese style patties from tofu and kombu. It consists of carrots, burdock, kombu, water-packed tofu, shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce and honey with some flour to keep it together. It keeps falling apart. The one I had at Briar Patch had egg in it, but in going the vegan route, I haven't gotten it quite the way I want. I'm not going to put a recipe together for it as it's not complete yet. The taste is superb, but the texture isn't quite right yet.

Peach Crisp

We got peaches for REALLY cheap a few days ago. I froze a bunch of them (cut up and in a gallon bag), but decided to make some peach crisp with 3 lbs of them. Here's the recipe I used with some modifications for myself.

I served it with peach vegan gelato.

3 lbs peaches cut into chunks (I didn't bother to peel, I hate peeling)
Drizzle of lemon juice
1.5 cup all-purpose flour
1.5 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup light-bake prune puree (in place of margarine)

Spray a casserole dish and preheat oven to 375.

Put peaches in the casserole dish and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Depending on the sweetness of the peaches, sprinkle with a little sugar

Mix together remaining ingredients in a seperate bowl until the mixture is crumbly.

Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over peaches.

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown.

**I found that without the margarine, this didn't crisp up all that well. I want to figure out how to make it crispier without adding fat.

Enjoy!

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #30
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm drooling here. Seriously, I have to go find something to eat right now.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote