Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation
Default Re: Low-Fat Vegan Fun

I forgot to say I add fresh ginger as well

Jen D

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

These are some random recipes I'm posting for Hummus Dip, just thought I'd throw them out there.

The first is a replacement for a midwest favorite that usually includes velveeta cheese, onion, butter, creamed corn, canned corn and macaroni. My version is fat free except for the tofu and is just about as good. But then, the midwest one is good too, it'll just give you a coronary sooner.

CORN CASSEROLE

1 lb pasta (be creative, rotini, macaroni, rigatoni, spirals)
1 can creamed corn
1 can reg corn (can also use frozen)
1/2 onion chopped or minced

1 block firm silken tofu (I use the lite version)
1 4 oz can pimientos (w/ the juice)
2 tbs nutritional yeast (optional)
1/4 c cashews (haven't tried it w/out them might work out ok)
1-2 tbs lemon juice (lime works fine too)
1/2 c wheat germ (or bread crumbs)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 350 and spray a deep casserole dish w/ non-stick cooking spray (or use a nonstick pan)

Saute onion in vegetable broth (water is fine too) until it's just starting to get soft.

Cook the pasta about half-way so it's still a bit crunchy. Drain and set aside.

Blend the tofu, pimientos, nut yeast, cashews, and lemon juice in blender until smooth (may have to add some water to keep it moving in there)..

Add the tofu mixture to the pasta and add the two cans of corn and onion and wheat germ (save about 1/4 c wheat germ for topping)...Mix well and top w/ remainder of wheat germ.

Bake for 40-60 min, depending on how much you like crispy edges. You might want to mix it up about 20 min in to make sure the pasta all gets cooked, then add the wheat germ at that time. The biggest key is to get the onion cooked...If the onion's not cooked, it doesn't taste as good.

This is SO good!!!

K, this is something you might want to try with the portobello mushrooms...I haven't tried it but I think it would work. The ingredients are all similar to ones I've used for marinades for tofu, etc.

Portobello Steaks

2 large portobello mushrooms, cleaned and patted dry
1 T ketchup
1/4 tsp sugar
2 T soy sauce
2 T steak sauce
1 large garlic clove, pressed

Combine all ingredients except mushroom in a ziplock type bag. Add mushrooms, seal bag and marinate for 30 minutes to an hour, turning the bag occasionally.

Broil the mushrooms, turning them once or twice until tender and starting to release liquid. Baste them with the marinade while they're cooking. Serve with pan juices poured on top.

Options for serving include, grilling polenta and topping with mushrooms or roasting potatoes and using as a side. Or, my favorite, throw them in a sandwich and add a bunch of fun stuff.

Special Note for Hummus Dip - Try not to think of them as mushrooms, but as a delectable expensive entree at a premier restaurant.

And lastly, cabbage...

I don't normally make cabbage meals because of the gas issue, BUT, if I make some, it's usually as curtido (featured in my last thread somewhere, with red cabbage, although it's usually made with green cabbage) or sliced thinly and added to soup. Speaking of soup, here's what I made last night, using up a bunch of ingredients leftover and other fun things that looked good. It started out as a minestrone. Cabbage would have been supreme....if I had had any.

Minestrone Turned Crazy

1 onion (chopped finely)
3-5 cloves garlic (pressed, crushed or minced)
2 carrots (chopped or sliced into julienne strips just slightly wider than matchsticks)
2-3 stalks celery (chopped)
2 cans chopped tomatoes (italian style is great if you have any)
1 can tomato sauce (8-15 oz, whatever you want)
2 cans garbanzos..or kidney beans (drained, rinsed)
1/2 can corn (leftover from another project, you could use a whole can if you want)
1 can green beans
1/2 jar artichoke hearts (chopped, marinated in water, again, a leftover from another project)
3 large handfuls of macaroni
6 or so cups water

Let me start by saying that soup is such a fluid thing. You can't really mess it up if you are willing to add a little, taste a little, add something else, taste a bit more. By the time you finish making soup, sometimes, you've tasted it enough that you're quite full.

So, this soup starts out like most of my non-creamed soups. Saute onion, garlic, carrots, celery in about a 1/2 cup of the water listed above. Let the water evaporate and the veggies just barely start to stick to the bottom and then add just a bit more. The more you do this, the browner and nicer carmelized they will become. I talk about armelizing in another thread somewhere.

After a few minutes, add the rest of the ingredients except for the artichoke hearts and macaroni. Heat through until it's at a low rolling boil. Add macaroni and cook until macaroni is just turning soft. Add the artichoke hearts and heat through completely.

That's pretty much it. It's easy peasy. You can add more or less of any ingredient. If you want it thicker, add less water, thinner, add more. I usually eat this with crushed peppers and make it all kinds of spicy. Also with this particular batch, I used miso to "salt" it just for kicks, to see if it would add flavor. It didn't, really. If you want a stronger taste, add a boullion cube or two.

That's it for this installment. I'm thinking of a few things I'm going to make this weekend, just stuff to try, but it depends on whether I can cajole my parents into buying special ingredients we don't have in the house right now

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

I went kooky and made homemade pasta. I haven't done it in a while and never have used my pasta roller so far until today. I can make flat pasta, spaghetti and linguine and I chose linquine today. It came out okay, but the noodles weren't exactly pretty.

Pasta Recipe

2 cups semolina flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water

1. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt. Add warm water and stir to make a stiff dough. Increase water if dough seems too dry.
2. Pat the dough into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 to 15 minutes. Cover. Let dough rest for 20 minutes.
3. Roll out dough using rolling pin or pasta machine. Work with a 1/4 of the dough at one time. Keep the rest covered, to prevent from drying out. Roll by hand to 1/16 of an inch thick. By machine, stop at the third to last setting.
4. Cut pasta into desired shapes.
5. Cook fresh noodles in boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.

And now for the roasted veggies

Roasted Veggies

In a roasting pan, roast a myriad of veggies, quartered onions, garlic slices, cubed sweet potatoes and yukon gold potatoes, corn, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini. To roast, place veggies in sprayed pan, roast at 400 degrees stirring a few times until the veggies are toasty brown.

Sauce recipe coming soon!

Chocolate pudding cake has always been a favorite of mine. I had a friend make it for me once and it was so good it almost made me cry
This is a low low fat vegan substitute that is pretty stinkin' good. I found it on www.fatfreevegan.com Here's how she makes it.

Chocolate Pudding Cake

1 c flour
2 T apple sauce
1/2 c water
1/8 t salt
2/3 c sugar
1 t vanilla
2 T cocoa
2 t baking powder
2/3 c brown sugar
1/4 c cocoa
1 3/4 c hot water

Mix the first eight ingredients together. Pour into a sprayed 8" square baking pan. Mix the brown sugar and 1/4 c cocoa. Sprinkle over the batter. Pour the hot water over the entire top surface. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. The topping sinks through the cake to form a pudding layer at the bottom. This cake tastes so rich it's hard to believe there's no fat or eggs in it. We prefer it chilled, but it can be served at room temperature, or even warm, if you can't wait. It will keep for several days (but not in my house!), but DO NOT FREEZE. If you do, the pudding will turn very watery.

And last of all, eggo-like waffles that I used to make all the time when I had a non-belgian waffle-maker. My parents bought me a regular waffle iron for Christmas and I was thrilled because now I can make these tasty breakfast items

Eggo-Waffles

2 cups flour (possibly more)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbs apple sauce
1 tbs molasses/honey
1 cup low fat soy milk
1 cup apple juice
salt

Add all ingredients in the order given and then mix. Cook however you cook pancakes and waffles. You will have to use cooking spray because of the low-fat content. If your first waffle looks all lacy and like it has no substance, add a bit more flour to thicken it up. I had this happen a few days ago and adding flour seemed to help. You want it to be the consistency of gravy or so.

Enjoy and ask away if you have questions.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
HummusDip

ahhhh I want to make those waffles!!!!!! Now that I"m not moving to Hawaii, I need to go into my basement and dig out my waffle iron from the garage sale box and try that recipe! I'm assuming agave would work too? I don't have honey and I'm thinking blackstrap molasses wouldn't be sweet enough.

In your pasta veggie dish, what kind of mushrooms did you use?

I'm making your minestrone and portabella mushroom sandwhiches from your previous previous post tomorrow!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummusDip
ahhhh I want to make those waffles!!!!!! Now that I"m not moving to Hawaii, I need to go into my basement and dig out my waffle iron from the garage sale box and try that recipe! I'm assuming agave would work too? I don't have honey and I'm thinking blackstrap molasses wouldn't be sweet enough.

I'm making your minestrone and portabella mushroom sandwhiches from your previous previous post tomorrow!
baby bellas

Also thought that maybe you could make veggie burgers out of mushrooms...I don't know if I've given that recipe out yet. I'll have to look and see if it's somewhere online. I had forgotten to list that as a possibility for mushrooms.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
HummusDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshifter
Quote:

baby bellas

Also thought that maybe you could make veggie burgers out of mushrooms...I don't know if I've given that recipe out yet. I'll have to look and see if it's somewhere online. I had forgotten to list that as a possibility for mushrooms.

Jen D.
oooooooooo good idea! I was going to make my veggie burger somtime next week, maybe I'll buy some more mushrooms for those too!

I'm so loving this vegetarian and some vegan eating!!!!!!! I think it's been 3 weeks, maybe more? I'm so thrilled and I feel great and I've lost weight!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #22
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

baby bellas

Jen D.
oooooooooo good idea! I was going to make my veggie burger somtime next week, maybe I'll buy some more mushrooms for those too!

I'm so loving this vegetarian and some vegan eating!!!!!!! I think it's been 3 weeks, maybe more? I'm so thrilled and I feel great and I've lost weight!
I've been eating like poo-poo and gained weight I'm trying to get back in gear.

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
HummusDip

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

baby bellas

Jen D.

I've been eating like poo-poo and gained weight I'm trying to get back in gear.

Jen D.
I've eaten an insane amount of sugar in the past few days. I'm going to donate my goodies. Or maybe freeze them and slowwwwly eat them because I will gain it all back too if I don't stop this now.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #24
HummusDip

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my goodness!! Minestrone turned crazy is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!

I didn't have any more carrots or artichoke hearts so I omitted those. Instead I added more celery and garlic. I also only had 1 can of kidney beans so I also used 1 can of pinto beans. I didn't have canned corn or green beans, so I used frozen. I let mine cook for a good 45 minutes before I added the macaroni, because I like mine more chunky than soupy.

Then I took some of those deli french rolls for like french dip or sandwhiches and covered them in Earth Balance and garlic powder and put them under the broiler. I then dipped them into my soup.

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY in my tummy! I am so pleased with this soup, I'm going to blog about it and most definitely cook it again.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Quote:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my goodness!! Minestrone turned crazy is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!

I didn't have any more carrots or artichoke hearts so I omitted those. Instead I added more celery and garlic. I also only had 1 can of kidney beans so I also used 1 can of pinto beans. I didn't have canned corn or green beans, so I used frozen. I let mine cook for a good 45 minutes before I added the macaroni, because I like mine more chunky than soupy.

Then I took some of those deli french rolls for like french dip or sandwhiches and covered them in Earth Balance and garlic powder and put them under the broiler. I then dipped them into my soup.

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY in my tummy! I am so pleased with this soup, I'm going to blog about it and most definitely cook it again.
see how incredibly flexible soup is???

I'm glad you liked it. I'll look for your blog entry.

Jen d

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #26
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

See, I'm going on a trip on Friday. In order to save money, we're going to try to eat as much food as we can bring (well, okay, maybe we'll eat at one or two restaurants during the two evenings/three days.

So, one of the things I'm making is smoked turkey sandwich "meat" It's made from gluten (hope there's no sensitivity to that in my fellow travelers).

I made it tonight, to get it ready for the trip. I'm going to freeze it so it can help keep things cold.

Here's the recipe (altered from the blogspot by Vegan Dad www.vegandad.blogspot.com ):

Smoked "Turkey"

INGREDIENTS
- 1 lb tofu, firm (not silken)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Bragg's (or can sub soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 3 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten

Get water steaming in your steamer. You will need a large steamer.
1. Place all ingredients except the gluten flour in a blender and process until very smooth. Pour into a bowl. Add gluten flour and work into a dough. Knead for a few mins to let gluten develop.
2. Shape dough into a log and wrap in heavy duty foil like a tootsie roll. Try to make the roll as thick as possible. Steam for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees in the last 15 mins of steaming. Remove seitan from steamer and bake for 40-50 mins. Seitan should swell and press against the foil.
4. Cool and slice as needed for sandwiches. This seitan holds up very well and can be shaved very thin. Store in the fridge or freezer. This recipe makes a lot, so you can cut it into 3 or four chunks and store them away for later.
5. I fried mine in a fairly dry skillet and added just a bit of salt to help it flavor a bit more. Here's a pic of it frying.

HMMMM, what shall I make tomorrow, in prep for my trip? There might be some tamales in the works...We'll see

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #27
HummusDip

TAMALES!!!!! Those would be fantastic!!!

I'm going to make up the enchilada casserole I think, tomorrow. I hope that works for you.

And BTW the sandwhich meat looks delicious! I can't wait to try that!!

BTW I posted about your soup on my blog
Old 12-31-2008, 11:26 PM   #28
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

BURGERS!

I found this recipe a few years ago and fell in love with it after modifying it a bit. So, I had lost it for a while and then was looking through my mom's recipes and FOUND her copy of it. So that's what we had tonight.

1-2 cups cooked brown rice
8 oz mushrooms
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
handful of baby carrots
1/3 cup walnuts or almonds
2 TB flax meal
1/2 onion
1 TB garlic
soy sauce or Liquid aminos to taste
handful of spinach

EVERYTHING goes into the food processor except for 1 cup of the rice and 1/4 cup of the oats. Process until it's kinda a paste with chunks (please ignore the connotations). Add small amounts of water if needed and scrape the sides a few times.

Add the oats and rice and mix thoroughly and let sit for 10 minutes or more.

I cook this on a med flame sprayed skillet, using a large cookie scoop to measure. Using your hands, pat down the stuff until it's a patty. You might have to just wet your hands slightly to keep it from sticking.

Um, this is YUM!

Jen D.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #29
HummusDip

Those look fantastic! I make a killer bean/veggie burger but I've never tried something like that! It's making me hungry.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #30
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Ah, I think it's time for some recipes...

Tonight, I found this lovely little selection from the Voluptuous Vegan...

It was good, it was kinda ugly until the very last when I added the green onions. It reminded me of ramen, but stronger, healthier and darker broth.

It's called...
Mushroom-barley soup with Fennel and Coriander
adapted by ME

2-3 oz fresh or 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup barley
7 cups water
1 6-inch piece of kombu (type of seaweed)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tsp ground fennel seeds
3 tbs shoyu or soy sauce
2 small or one medium carrot, peeled and diced.
1 medium parsnip, peeled and diced
1 tb light miso, dissolved in 3 tb water
1/2 tsp brown rice vinegar
1 green onion (I did two)

I broke the stems off the mushrooms and then broke the mushrooms into smaller pieces, maybe 1/2" by 3/4" and put them in a small stock pot.
Added barley, water, kombu, coriander, fennel and soy sauce. Brought to a boil, then reduced heat and simmered for 10 minutes

Removed the kombu and cooked 20 minutes longer

Added the carrots and pasnips, cooking until the barley is tender, about 20 minutes.

Added the dissolved miso, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, then add vinegar and salt to taste. Green onions are added just before serving.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!