Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you want to know ?

She sounds like a 'fad' vegetarian to me.

I think most vegetarians or vegans would want to know. I think it goes without saying, though, that that many meatless restaurant dishes have meat products in them.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
J3K
Deactivated

Hi ! I'm Myrtle. I like to pretend I'm an R.O.U.S.

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah...I wondered why she was ordering a soup with cheese in it...maybe she didn't know where cheese comes from ?

I spoke with one woman who told me quite earnestly "I am a vegan. I only drink goat's milk."

I did my best not to laugh at her. I said "So you're a vegetarian. You don't eat meat , but you do allow yourself other products from animals such as milk or cheese."

She shook her head as she ate her Yoplait yogurt with oreo chunks..."Nope I only drink goat's milk. That makes me a vegan."

Well...next time , if there is a next time , I'll go ahead and speak up again. It seems most of you would want to know.
J3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3K View Post

She shook her head as she ate her Yoplait yogurt with oreo chunks..."Nope I only drink goat's milk. That makes me a vegan."
DS1-G(2/4/05) DD1-A(8/5/06)
DD2-J(6/4/08) DS2-T(3/2/11)

I use FB mostly to KIT w/ family, & friends I know IRL, so please don't be offended if I don't accept your request.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #19
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post
I've met some people who self-identify as vegan/vegetarian who really don't get it. Vegan drinking a Latte with cow milk - but it was skim! A vegetarian who ate chicken noodle soup - but it didn't have chunks of chicken.
. That's so silly. Like they're just jumping on the cool vegan bandwagon. Good grief.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Well...next time , if there is a next time , I'll go ahead and speak up again. It seems most of you would want to know.
I don't know. I'm beginning to get the impression from this thread that there are more bandwagon vegans than serious vegans. So maybe you should try to assess and take into consideration the bimbo-level of the person speaking before giving the advice.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd want to know, but honestly, it is hard NOT to know at Panera. Every Panera I've been to even has a little sign that says whether or not a soup is vegetarian. They also have a huge book you can request with every ingredient and you can read them all online. If she is offended, then it is just because she is not really vegan or she is not committed to truly eating cruelty-free

Most veg*ns I know are very careful about that kind of stuff. I did know a girl in high school who went vegetarian, so she had chicken broth every day for lunch. My mom was her teacher and told her, and the girl had a similar reaction to the lady above. Sometimes people are strange.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
J3K
Deactivated

J3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond reputeJ3K has a reputation beyond repute

"pardon me , why are you staring at me ?"

" I'm trying to assess and take into consideration your bimbo-level before I give you some advice about the product you are about to order. That's all."
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to J3K For This Useful Post:
BHope (11-29-2009), Blueberrybabies (11-28-2009), deena (11-27-2009), illinoismommy (11-28-2009), Quiteria (11-27-2009), SamRose (11-27-2009), thomer (11-27-2009), thrillofhope (11-27-2009)
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"pardon me , why are you staring at me ?"

" I'm trying to assess and take into consideration your bimbo-level before I give you some advice about the product you are about to order. That's all."
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Cat
Rose Garden

Cat has disabled reputation

Just my little soapbox but...

I really don't think people should say they are vegan unless they really are, and that includes lifestyle. Did you check out her shoes? They were probably leather. If a person only eats vegan, they should say they are strict vegetarians or something...

Okay, off

Married to J

Mama to A born January 2010

and a kitty bear Sylvia
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat For This Useful Post:
SamRose (11-28-2009)
Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #24
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that she just sounds like being vegan is a fad for her. Common sense would tell anyone that the cheddar isn't soy cheese, unless the restaurant specifically stated that. Or maybe she doesn't know the difference between vegetarian and vegan... again, if it disappointed her so much, she's probably just doing it as a fad.

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #25
chasingbutterflies
Rose Garden

chasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond reputechasingbutterflies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post

I really don't think people should say they are vegan unless they really are, and that includes lifestyle. Did you check out her shoes? They were probably leather. If a person only eats vegan, they should say they are strict vegetarians or something...

Okay, off
I dunno, some people can't afford to throw away everything animal they have when they switch

I would want to know but I still am at thinking cheese=vegan...

chasingbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #26
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post

Okay, off
While I agree in theory to a degree...being vegan for some people is part of an overall lifestyle that incorporates other ethical considerations, as well.

For example...someone has had leather shoes for a while, and then becomes a vegan. Said person also does not believe in throwing out perfectly good, usuable items and buying new things...b/c that is a waste of resources.

So...said newly-converted vegan continues to wear their leather shoes until they wear out...while also NOT eating or buying anything of animal origin. They are still absolutely a vegan, both in lifestyle and eating habits...even though they are wearing leather shoes. ;wink
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
BHope (11-29-2009), thrillofhope (11-28-2009)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #27
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't get over the fact that she is saying she is a vegan while planning to order CHEESE soup. I am not a vegan or vegetarian but its OBVIOUS... you cannot be a vegan while ordering cheese soup... so chicken stock isn't here or there to her.

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #28
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

yeah...the CHEESE issue is a pretty obvious one.
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #29
J3K
Deactivated

It confused me too , but only after I retold the story once to my hubby. I didn't catch it at first. He said "I'm not an expert or nothin'..but "cheese eating vegan" seems to cancel itself out. That's an oxymoron."

Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #30
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

"I'm a vegetarian. I am trying to decide between a chicken sandwich with extra veggies or a beef patty."

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to illinoismommy For This Useful Post:
J3K (11-28-2009)