Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] > Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Vegetarian/Vegan Recipes *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute
Default refried beans

i have some YUMMY pinto beans cooking and i'd like to make refried beans. i'm very picky about consistency...i'd like my refried beans to be like ones you would buy in a can or get in a Mexican restaurant. can anyone give me a recipe for how to do that?

thanks!
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation
Default Re: refried beans

use the cooking liquid to get them really smooth. For beans like the can you can cook some pureed onion in a little oil and add it to the pureed beans
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abbiroads For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Forsynthianicki
Climbing Rose

Forsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of lightForsynthianicki is a glorious beacon of light

I too use the cooking liquid as I puree them. I usually drain it first then add it back in as needed. I puree mine with a stick blender but have also used a food processor. Sometimes the beans seem a little watery but thicken considerably; often I end up adding more cooking liquid before serving. I like to cook my beans with cloves of garlic and then puree all together.
Posted via Mobile Device
Forsynthianicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's all about how much liquid you use. Just work with it until you get the consistency you like.

In addition to onion & garlic, chili powder, cumin, S&P make nice additions, too.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (05-10-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

so they aren't really refried? just pureed?
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. When my MIL (or myself) is making them, we do it in a pan. And mash it with a potato masher thingy Thats what it is called, right? That way you can make it still a little chunky if you like And then it gets a little *fried* in the pan, i guess? That is how I have always seen it done.
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Castle On A Cloud For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (05-11-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the "refried" part is after they are initially cooked. You use cooked beans, then "re-fry" them with spices. I puree in a food processor, but it's more traditional to use a wooden spoon while you're "re-frying" them. If you want them chunky, leave out a handful of beans and add them after you've pureed the rest, mashing if you want/
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

So do you need to add any fat to the beans? My DH has worked at a Mexican restaurant for 15 years. The food is a bit Americanized, but for the most part authentic (as the owner and many of the cooks are from Mexico and are using family recipes). Anyway... I tried to make some refried beans the other day, and they were not a creamy consistency (like from the can) and DH said it was because I needed more fat in them. What do you all think of that?
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curlymopmom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
abbiroads
Rose Garden

abbiroads has disabled reputation

I don't use any fat. I think to get them creamier you need more liquid.
ds2: Eli 4/06
ds3: Judah 4/08
abbiroads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abbiroads For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Castle On A Cloud
Deactivated

Castle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond reputeCastle On A Cloud has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, DH's grandma and mother use lard
Castle On A Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Castle On A Cloud For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the cans in the store, they contain lard. Vegetarian contains canola oil. Fat free is neither.

Mexican restaurants use lard. If you order the vegetarian entree, you won't be served regular refried beans. Instead, you'll get chunky pinto beans in sauce/cooking liquid.

I don't use fat in mine. I see no point.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post

I don't use fat in mine. I see no point.
Isn't the fat why they are called refried?

Heat up oil (or bacon grease ) in a skillet until hot, add beans and mash, and add bean juice as necessary to get them the right consistency. Add spices whenever.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
mommylove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
Isn't the fat why they are called refried?

Heat up oil (or bacon grease ) in a skillet until hot, add beans and mash, and add bean juice as necessary to get them the right consistency. Add spices whenever.

Hey, I never said I was authentic.

Several years ago, DH & I vacationed in Mazatlan. My only gripe was that the Mexicans could not make decent Mexican food to save their lives.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
Hey, I never said I was authentic.

Several years ago, DH & I vacationed in Mazatlan. My only gripe was that the Mexicans could not make decent Mexican food to save their lives.
Yes, we should be honest with ourselves and call it Tex-Mex because it's not Mexican food!