Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone go raw? Or done a raw fast?

I have been a veggie for over 2 years now, but I still eat like poop. Think Big Macs without the meat, sodas, pasta etc. I have been seriously considering going completely raw, any thoughts? Tips?
(Although I might keep the yogurt in, it seems to be a good way to get some protein and helps my digestion.)
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dana Joy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone go raw? Or done a raw fast?

me me

Because I keep developing new allergies I have been adding meat back in (since I can't cheat in the direction of eggs or dairy ) BUT we finally found some raw recipes from a restaurant in San Diego and we have been supplementing with them. I'm not thinking we will go totally raw long term (since dh and I seem to digest some roughage better sauteed lightly or steamed ) but the diversity of foods and protein sources is really blessing us

I'm going to be going totally raw during the month of August

this is the restaurant http://www.peacepies.com/
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Dana Joy (07-12-2012), TraceMama (07-14-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I went totally raw for nearly six months a few years ago. I'd never felt better, at least in the late spring, summer, and very early fall. What became difficult was, for me since I live in a place with cold weather, I just wasn't able to maintain it in the winter months. My body just craved more once the weather turned.

I really did very little raw "uncooking" because, well, it was time consuming and labor intensive, though I hear it doesn't have to be that way. I tried a few recipes but for the most part, I simply ate whole, raw foods - veggies, fruits, nuts and nut butters.

I would love to do it again. In the summer, I'm about 70% raw, but I think AOL just inspired me to go 100% raw this August, too.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-12-2012), Dana Joy (07-12-2012), TraceMama (07-14-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

I would love a few people who are raw to encourage each other

One thing I read years ago that seems to hold true for me is that the warmer months the body craves and does best with raw/live foods and during the winter it's good to add more cooked foods (though still including lots of live/raw foods as well).

I know I crave more live foods during the spring/summer and then more hearty/warm foods in the fall/winter

I admit I've been drawn to raw for a long time but avoided it because the food didn't sound good It was great that we got to try the foods from the restaurant--that's why I bought their book Delicious! I'm going back to San Diego for a couple of days next week and I'm planning to go into the restaurant and see if I can find time to meet with the chef and ask him some questions--lots of the recipes rely on local to SD foods. Being new to this I'm hoping he can give me some local to me suggestions for substitutes
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
Awesome.

Quote:
One thing I read years ago that seems to hold true for me is that the warmer months the body craves and does best with raw/live foods and during the winter it's good to add more cooked foods (though still including lots of live/raw foods as well).

I know I crave more live foods during the spring/summer and then more hearty/warm foods in the fall/winter
Exactly.

Quote:
I admit I've been drawn to raw for a long time but avoided it because the food didn't sound good It was great that we got to try the foods from the restaurant--that's why I bought their book Delicious! I'm going back to San Diego for a couple of days next week and I'm planning to go into the restaurant and see if I can find time to meet with the chef and ask him some questions--lots of the recipes rely on local to SD foods. Being new to this I'm hoping he can give me some local to me suggestions for substitutes
I tried too many raw recipes that just were...not for me. And that's one of the biggest reasons I mostly gave up on raw "uncooking" - it's time consuming and can be expensive, and then if you don't like it, . We have NO raw eateries around here - the closest, I think, is three hours away in NYC.

I wish I could try more before making the food.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-15-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Dana Joy
Deactivated

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
I simply ate whole, raw foods - veggies, fruits, nuts and nut butters.
Do you make your own nut butters? Or buy them? Is there one that is better than another?

Quote:
Well it looks like there are three of us.
Quote:
-lots of the recipes rely on local to SD foods. Being new to this I'm hoping he can give me some local to me suggestions for substitutes
Anything local to SD, is local to me

Last night after another mega stomach ache, I decided to try completely raw for 48 hours. After the 48 hours I am going to see how I feel, and how long I want to continue. Right now I think the 48 hours will jump start me into mostly raw, BUT it is very tentative, I need to break things into little junks to conquer them.

So I made myself a berry, banana spinach smoothie for breakfast, and when I am done teaching this morning I will head over to WF to do some shopping for the rest of the weekend. It is helpful that the only kid home this weekend is the one that adores fruits and veggies, he would not mind a bit if I don't cook meals as long as there is plenty of broccoli and bananas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dana Joy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-15-2012), Punkie (07-14-2012), TraceMama (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

I've been feeling very drawn to a raw food diet lately. Unfortunately since it's getting hot there doesn't seem to be a huge selection of local fruits and veggies I think I'm going to focus on eating huge salads, smoothies and try experiment with a few raw recipes. I've actually been interested in going raw for years but it's always seemed like too much work. I think I've reached a point where my body isn't giving me a choice.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-15-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

I was about 80% raw for a while a few years back. I've known for a while that I need to do it again. I keep eating some of what I make for the kids, like bean and cheese quesadillas I'll bbl
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to L-Boogie For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-15-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
Batesfamily5

We do more of a raw diet during the warmer months. I enjoy how I feel on a high raw diet.

One thing I know we need to be careful about is adding too much fruit into the diet. Many people will add in too much fruit and start having dental issues. I'm still trying to find a good balance with more veggies than fruits.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute
sticky Re: Anyone go raw? Or done a raw fast?

NAK and only have a sec...
I have been 100% raw for 8+ mos straight, usually I maintain around an 85% raw diet. I have a bunch of recipes in my FB notes, but as was already mentioned, many recipes are labor-intensive/time consuming. It's easiest to stick with whole foods. My day typically includes a big green smoothie for breakfast, lots of snacking, and I do like to have "meals" so I do still prepare recipes, usually not the hard ones. Nothing that takes longer than a regular SAD meal would. SOme of them aren't that difficult, and only have a few ingredients. And I like the raw cheez-its so much, I don't care if it takes a day or two of dehydrating them. Lately I've been loving a lot of "date shakes"... dates, almond milk, frozen (or not) banana, ice, pinch of cinnamon and a bunch of leafy greens. I also love raw Kung Pao broccoli & mushrooms & onions, veggie sushi, lettuce wraps with hummus and sprouts and cucumber and olives and whatever else i want to add.

I'd love to share recipes and stuff, & support one another...it's been very difficult to stay raw without support...my willpower dwindles, LOL. I know there is another GCMer who has been 100% raw for like, 6 weeks now...Made4more...not sure if she still posts here much. She's been raw on & off for a long time, too, so she could contribute a lot. There is a detox period, and how bad it is will depend on the state your body is in now and how you've been eating and how much junk is built up in your system. Yeah, it could be fun.

My husband *wants* to try a raw fast/cleanse, he's seen my success and wants to jump-start weight loss. You lose weight pretty quickly. I don't want to lose any weight at all right now, but I'm working incredibly hard to tone up my body (trying to see if I can *ever* get rid of the baby belly skin ) I want to do raw for better skin and more energy and strength....I made a list when I was 100% several years ago, after about 4mos, of all the reasons I had for wanting to stay on a raw diet. The list was two full pages, front and back. My skin was SOOOOO much better. ANd I radiated energy. It was a great time. i want to be there again, feeling that way with boundless energy. I want better skin. My skin is so icky right now.

Have you checked out GoneRaw.com and RawFoodTalk.com I haven't looked at any new raw recipes or visited any forums in awhile, so I'm not sure what else is out there right now...

Last edited by poleidopy; 07-14-2012 at 11:02 AM.
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to poleidopy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-15-2012), Dana Joy (07-14-2012), passthemanna (07-15-2012), thrillofhope (07-17-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

Recipes:
Please excuse the fact that these are all from the same blog They're all fairly simple things that I've made on a regular basis for years.

Watermelon Salsa
Fudge balls
Spring Rolls with Peanut Love Sauce
Raw Strawberry Pie
Walnut "Meat" Taco Salad
Green Wraps
Chocolate Bliss Smoothie
Raw Chocolate Pudding
Kale and Avocado Salad
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Fresh Mango Cobbler
Ani's All American Apple Pie
My favorite smoothie is this one with a bunch of greens added
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to L-Boogie For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-15-2012), Dana Joy (07-14-2012), TraceMama (07-15-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Dana Joy
Deactivated

So what should l expect as far as detox symptoms? Just under a day raw so far, but Im surprisingly full.

Sent from my WX445 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

those two links are fantastic. Thanks

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Boogie View Post
Recipes:
Please excuse the fact that these are all from the same blog They're all fairly simple things that I've made on a regular basis for years.

Watermelon Salsa
Fudge balls
Spring Rolls with Peanut Love Sauce
Raw Strawberry Pie
Walnut "Meat" Taco Salad
Green Wraps
Chocolate Bliss Smoothie
Raw Chocolate Pudding
Kale and Avocado Salad
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Fresh Mango Cobbler
Ani's All American Apple Pie
My favorite smoothie is this one with a bunch of greens added
these look super super yummy!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Piadosa View Post
So what should l expect as far as detox symptoms? Just under a day raw so far, but Im surprisingly full.

Sent from my WX445 using Tapatalk 2
I always get headaches, muscle aches, and my skin gets bad initially - usually starting day three and clearing in about a week.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
poleidopy
Deactivated

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.

poleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond reputepoleidopy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
I always get headaches, muscle aches, and my skin gets bad initially - usually starting day three and clearing in about a week.
bad breath, bad skin, bad...bathroom issues (I don't have a problem with that, but a lot of people need to "adjust" to raw foods, so it could be wonky for a few days,) worst-case scenario you get the full-on muscle aches & pains and headaches and just miserable-feeling, but luckily it usually goes away pretty quickly. I just get really irritable for two days, LOL! (It's kinda like PMS...)
poleidopy is offline   Reply With Quote