Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #46
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rag Rug Craftalong (part 2 posted)

Abbi so exciting!

Mandy can't wait to see the pics!

I'm about halfway through on mine and today I went over see the lady from craigslist to give her toothbrush rug lessons. She was so sweet.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain

Last edited by Marielle; 10-22-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marielle For This Useful Post:
abbiroads (10-22-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #47
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

MANDY it is COMPLETELY illegal to post something like that without pictures.

I'm about 5/8ths done mine. A little bit more than half. I had to rip up the flat sheet - I had initially started with just the fitted and *hoped* it would be enough (even though I knew FULL WELL it wouldn't be ). So I ripped this one into wider strips and I'm at how it's turning out.

The fitted sheet was so threadbare in the middle, and you can really tell on the rug when I got to the middle section of the strip. The holes are way bigger because the sheet was so thin. I was about it but DH said "it'll probably still last 10 years; don't fret!"

Excited to finish and show pictures!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
JustMandy
Deactivated

Location: Among the tall straight pines of the coastal plain.
JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is. I can't decide if I'm going to frog it a bit to try and even it out...nah. I'll love my potato shaped rug just the way it is.

JustMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JustMandy For This Useful Post:
Blue Savannah (10-26-2011), cro (10-31-2011), heartofjoy (10-23-2011), JenLovie (10-23-2011), Stiina (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #49
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

Wow mandy it looks great! You are quick!

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain
JustMandy (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #50
JustMandy
Deactivated

JustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond reputeJustMandy has a reputation beyond repute

It worked up really quick. It was just single crochets and a giant crochet hook.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Croche...ref=pd_sim_b_4
Old 10-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #51
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great Mandy! My computer is too slow so I'm not going to click on your link. What size was the hook you used?
And how do you crochet in an oval shape? :headscratch I want to make a couple of little oval rugs for "Step On These And Slide Across My Floor Instead Of Tracking Mud And Snow In When You Bring In Firewood" rugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
JustMandy (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #52
Marielle
Rose Garden

was on the phone earlier so had to be brief. It doesn't look potatoish at all Mandy. Stiina you just crochet down the foundation chain and instead of turning go around the corner and keep on crocheting down the bottom of the chain and continue spiralling.

I found something neat this week that I'd seen before but never knew what it was for. They're called varifolders or braid-aid by the company that makes them. They look like little metal cones and the cones fold the fabric edges in on each other as it feeds down the strip of fabric. They're meant for braided rugs and you can use a single when making a crocheted rug but it really wouldn't work too well with the toothbrush rug. I'll admit I found a set on etsy.

http://halcyonyarn.com/rugbraiding.html

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain

Last edited by Marielle; 10-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
JustMandy (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #53
JustMandy
Deactivated

I think it's a size q hook.

To crochet an oval, I make a chain, then in the second st from the hook, sc in just one side of the stitch all the way to the end and do 3 sc in the last st. Then a sc in another loop of each stitch (so up the other side of the original chain) with 2 in the last worked stitch (so there's a cluster of 3 sc's in th first and last stitch of the chain). Then you work in the round adding about 2 increases on each curved end. If you pay attention to where you increase then you end up with less of a potato.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustMandy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #54
Stiina
Rose Garden

Aha! Genius. I actually didn't see the potato you were talking about. Must have been under your nicely-shaped oval rug.

I finished mine! I know, I know, I gave you heck Mandy! But I will have pics. Soon.

I only had a teensy ball of fabric left (tennis ball sized). I knew I would be surprised at how much fabric it took - almost two full bedsheets for a...2ftx4ft maybe? rug.

The second bedsheet was thicker by default (it was the topsheet) and I also ripped the strips wider. I like the rug better where I used that sheet. It's much cushier and looks much more durable.

I went around the outside with a really tight sc all the way around...because I was panicking about the quickly shrinking ball of fabric. I didn't grasp the concept that going tighter around the edges would make it roll up Hopefully it'll not be too bad for curling on the corners etc. Definitely a good lesson for this "plow ahead and do it already" person.

Thanks for the inspiration! My DH was so excited for me to make this rug. When I told him it was going in the bathroom he said "AH HA!!!" with a big grin, and he keeps asking me if I'm done it yet. He'll be so pleased when he comes home tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
JustMandy (10-26-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #55
JustMandy
Deactivated

I love that your dh was excited. Mine was ammused.

(You're going to MAKE a rug....out of old sheets? Of course you are.)
cro (10-31-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #56
Marielle
Rose Garden

Stiina pictures, soon pretty please! I think a little bit of blocking while it's wet from the wash will do wonders for pretty much any rug. Wait until you see mine.

I finally uploaded some pics of older versions and progress on the current rug (I'm about 2 colors away from finishing).

This is my first ever rug. I didn't like the random look of the hit or miss method color mixing so I made it smaller and gifted it to the boys years ago for their play kitchen. My hand for scale.

This is the large version of the previous rug where I did stripes instead. I don't like the color combo it was just what I had available back then. It's like 3-4 years old maybe more but I can't remember. Since I'm not crazy about the colors it lives in my sewing room in front of the door that heads to our deck. No matter how I feel about the colors it's super thick and absorbs like nobody's business plus rag rugs are reversible so if one side's dirty I just flip it over and then wash when both sides are dirty.

This is a scrap rug or at least the center. When I started knitting I had a bunch of cotton yarn remnants in bright colors from making washcloths so I just bought a cone of a light cotton yarn and held the brighter remnant with the lighter cone and did this in single crochet with a K hook. I did have to buy more yarn since I underestimated but this lives in front of my kitchen sink and feels very comfy. The colors have faded over the years.

Here's the current rug. I was going for bright colors in ligher/darker tones of tropical hues and then did them in rainbow progression. Not sure if this one will replace the kitchen sink rug (and that will be used in the dining room entrance) or if it will go by the front door. It's still all ripply from being worked but I'll block it later when I finish the blues.

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Marielle For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (10-28-2011), Blue Savannah (10-27-2011), delightedmama (11-06-2011), JenLovie (10-27-2011), JustMandy (10-27-2011), Stiina (10-27-2011), swimming with sharks (11-01-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #57
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

beautiful

I had to look for the places the color changed. hard to spot them--it looks great!
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Savannah For This Useful Post:
Stiina (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #58
Marielle
Rose Garden

Thanks Bluesavannah! It's harder to tell when there are more rows of each stripe but I imagine if doing single row stripes you could just keep an eye on starting them in the same spot. I just hate wasting fabric so I used up each color then when I hit the greens realized I need more fabric to balance out the stripe thicknesses. Yup, I'm crazy.

I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

-Mark Twain
Stiina (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #59
Stiina
Rose Garden

Ok...LOVE your tropical rug. Gorgeous!!!

And... What's blocking?

sorry about lack of pics. I feel like such a hypocrite!!!!!! SOON!! PROMISE!!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #60
JustMandy
Deactivated

Blocking is either just getting it wet or washing it and laying it out how you want it, stretch it into shape and let it dry.

Nice rugs!! I'm inspited to start another one....but I really do have to finish some other things first.
Stiina (10-28-2011)